Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Father naturalised Canadian - but dead. Any help?

Father naturalised Canadian - but dead. Any help?

Old Jul 26th 2012, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Father naturalised Canadian - but dead. Any help?

Hello

My father was born in the UK in 1936. Shortly after I was born in 1965 he decided he didn't want anything to do with family life, and disappeared for the rest of my life. In 1998 I found out he had died that year in British Columbia. He had become a Canadian citizen in the early 70's. As it turns out, my life and his have been pretty similar without knowing it. By '98 I had already spent a fair bit of time in the Pacific NW in Oregon, and have now lived in Idaho for 10 years, and became a US citizen a couple of years ago.

Before the possibility of living in the US came about, I did look into emigrating to Canada. This was before knowing about my dad. For whatever reason, I still think I might be better off in Canada and wonder if having a dead relative who was a Canadian citizen, even though naturalised, is any advantage. I can't imagine I have any right to a Canadian passport, but maybe it might add some weight to a permanent residency application? Or is the fact he is dead and not able to sponsor me the main factor?

Any light anyone can shed would be gratefully received. Cheers.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Father naturalised Canadian - but dead. Any help?

Unfortunately I dont think a dead relative holds any weight.
Also when he became a Canadian citizen it did not entitle you to Canadian citizenship so unfortunately you would have to apply by other channels
as per this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Duckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really niceDuckman is just really nice

If OP was born in 1965, and OP's absentee father became a Canadian citizen before 1975, OP was a minor child at the time his father became a citizen. However, I guess the exact matter of yes or no would depend on if OP's father became a citizen under the 1946 or 1975 act, and exactly what those acts say about that situation. Tricky!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. I'm not sure of the year he became a citizen - I'd have to check on that. Any suggestions on where to get a definitive answer on that issue raised by Duckman? I think in the USA I would have had to apply for US citizenship before becoming an adult, so maybe it would be the same in Canada. Maybe I should just make a call to an immigration office in B.C. to shed light on it? Or Canadian immigration lawyer?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You could ascertain if he was definitely a Canadian Citizen (and in what year) by making an application for a search - but you will need proof of his death (certificate) and proof of your connection to him. You can do this through CIC : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/search-how.asp

You can do a check to see if you are a Canadian Citizen (once you know what year your Father obtained citizenship) by using this tool: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ules/index.asp however, as he wasn't a citizen at the time of your birth you may have lost your chance, it may be worth making further enquiries though if he became a naturalised Citizen prior to you reaching adulthood.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 27th 2012 at 12:56 am.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I did the self assessment tool based on the info given in the OP and it stated NOT a citizen. There again it only a tool.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Well I guess my dad never was good for anything! I didn't imagine I would qualify for Canadian citizenship anyway. Just thought maybe him becoming Canadian might add a few points to my application if I went down that route and moved north a bit. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Psyman
Well I guess my dad never was good for anything! I didn't imagine I would qualify for Canadian citizenship anyway. Just thought maybe him becoming Canadian might add a few points to my application if I went down that route and moved north a bit. Thanks for everyone's input.
Did you try the self assessment tool/
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ules/index.asp
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

I did. When I got to the fifth question, the only relevant answer for me was: "I was born on or after January 1, 1947, and neither of my birth parents was a Canadian citizen at the time of my birth", and it told me that it appeared I was not a citizen of Canada.