Fastest way to land without a car

Old Nov 15th 2014, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

psynergy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fastest way to land without a car

Originally Posted by Simon86
I landed at Niagara on foot last month... it was super easy.

I walked out on to Rainbow bridge (there is a 50 cent toll), and across to the US border office. I asked the border officer for a rejection, explaining that it was an administrative thing that the Canadian border required for me to re-enter on a PR. I was at the US border for no more than 5 minutes, no fingerprints or anything.

I walked back to the Canadian border, and handed the rejection paper to the border officer, who directed me to the immigration desk.

At the immigration desk, I handed the officer my passport and COPR. They asked me a couple of questions. Then I sat down in the waiting area. 5 minutes later I was called up, and asked to sign the COPR. Then had it stapled into my passport, and I was free to go.
This is exactly what I was hoping someone would say. I was really worried about the rejection aspect, that it might affect me entering the US further down the line, but I feel much better now, thanks so much!
Old Nov 16th 2014, 2:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psynergy
This is exactly what I was hoping someone would say. I was really worried about the rejection aspect, that it might affect me entering the US further down the line, but I feel much better now, thanks so much!
General consensus is that getting a "rejection" is something best avoided. There is no guarantee it will not cause problems entering the United States in the future.

If you visit Niagara Falls, what's wrong with just visiting the American side of the Falls for part of the day?
Old Nov 16th 2014, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

psynergy is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's my thought process:

Border officer: Why are you visiting the US today?
Me: just visiting for the day
Border officer: and you walked over? How do you plan to go anywhere?
Me:cab?

Smash cut to me being gitmo'd
Old Nov 16th 2014, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Simon86 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I walked out on to the bridge, I immediately turned around to go back to the border officer. They instructed me that I must go get a administrative rejection from the other side. I don't think they would be giving these instructions, if it's something that could jeopardize travelling to the U.S. at a future date... who knows though!

I am travelling to the U.S. next year, I'll report back then with what happened!
Old Nov 16th 2014, 5:13 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

When I walked out on to the bridge, I immediately turned around to go back to the border officer. They instructed me that I must go get a administrative rejection from the other side. I don't think they would be giving these instructions, if it's something that could jeopardize travelling to the U.S. at a future date... who knows though!

I am travelling to the U.S. next year, I'll report back then with what happened!

They are following the Act as it is written, you ever have to be entering Canada or refused admission to another country to be "landed" on your return.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 5:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

When I walked out on to the bridge, I immediately turned around to go back to the border officer. They instructed me that I must go get a administrative rejection from the other side.
Must?
What they didn't tell you is that an admission to the United States is also acceptable. Although, unless you are a U.S. citizen you would need to have a legitimate reason to want to visit the U.S., that's not a problem for most people. Usually an intention to do sightseeing/shopping is enough for the U.S. border officers.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 5:16 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by psynergy
Here's my thought process:

Border officer: Why are you visiting the US today?
Me: just visiting for the day
Border officer: and you walked over? How do you plan to go anywhere?
Me:cab?
Really?

Thousands of people cross the border to the United States for day trips (or shorter) every day. No issues. And while crossing on foot might make a border officer curious if it was at an isolated post, it's not uncommon at the Rainbow Bridge. Many people walk across to see either the Canadian or American side of the Niagara Falls.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Simon86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Must?
What they didn't tell you is that an admission to the United States is also acceptable. Although, unless you are a U.S. citizen you would need to have a legitimate reason to want to visit the U.S., that's not a problem for most people. Usually an intention to do sightseeing/shopping is enough for the U.S. border officers.
Nope, they did not tell me that I could go visit the U.S.- they only told me to get a refusal.

While I was there at the U.S. border, I don't remember the officer entering anything into the system, he just wrote out my refusal on a paper form.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

jayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond repute

I travelled to vegas after going to the border and doing the same thing.

No issues.

You'll be fine.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thousands have done the Administrative Refusal without entering the USA without it affecting further trips. Its Administrative meaning no enforcement action is taken. They have to give you documentation as if they didn't and for whatever reason Canada refused you entry then you would be stuck in the USA.
This process is done on a daily basis don't overthink this.
To avoid this pay the $6 for the I94 waiver. Tell the US officers you will be landing in Canada on your return but you want to see the US side of the falls and have lunch and look around for a few hours.
Your choice in the end.