Farm management experience Canada

Old Sep 1st 2017, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Kelwys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Farm management experience Canada

Hi, perhaps someone could enlighten me on what farm management really means. My wife and I have decided that we would like to live in BC. My wife is a registered nurse and is currently getting her qualifications verified for BC. We also run a small farm (only 4 acres) which we've done for nearly 4 years now. Now to be really awkward, we also run a small business of letting properties. So, we don't know whether to go down the nursing route, the farm management route (would we qualify) or the business route. It is our intention to buy acreage in BC anyway and have animals/livestock. HELP!
Old Sep 1st 2017, 10:23 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Farm management experience Canada

Originally Posted by Kelwys
Hi, perhaps someone could enlighten me on what farm management really means. My wife and I have decided that we would like to live in BC. My wife is a registered nurse and is currently getting her qualifications verified for BC. We also run a small farm (only 4 acres) which we've done for nearly 4 years now. Now to be really awkward, we also run a small business of letting properties. So, we don't know whether to go down the nursing route, the farm management route (would we qualify) or the business route. It is our intention to buy acreage in BC anyway and have animals/livestock. HELP!
From SK.

Farm operation knowledge and experience: You'll need to provide documentation (e.g. education and training, work experience, financial documents of your previous operations) that demonstrates you're an experienced farm operator.

Evidence of full time farm operation, or at least a primary source of income. A hobby farm may not cut it.

Depends where you intend to go in BC, in the Lower Mainland of BC an acreage is 1.5m and up, large acreages of farm land run around $100k to $150k an acre.

Less populated areas are cheaper. Check out - BC Farm & Ranch

NOC 2011 - 0821 - Managers in agriculture - Unit group
Old Sep 1st 2017, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I have met a couple of farm managers in BC ..... they have university degrees in agriculture, and one has added a business diploma. That plus having lived and worked on farms from birth.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 3:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

From CIC:
The Self-Employed Program seeks to bring people who will become self-employed in Canada. They must have:
experience in managing a farm, and
intend and be able to buy and manage a farm in Canada.
Relevant experience for a self-employed person means at least two years of experience.

It must be during the period starting five years before the day you apply and ending on the day we make a decision on your application. The experience must be:
for buying and managing a farm, two one-year periods managing a farm
Entrepreneurs and investors: Self-employed people

Old Sep 1st 2017, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Kelwys is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information. I guess the farming route access is out as we are only a small farm and its not our main source of income. So the question is whether we pursue the nursing route or the self-employed/business route whichever is the quicker...
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 5:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kelwys
Thanks for the information. I guess the farming route access is out as we are only a small farm and its not our main source of income. So the question is whether we pursue the nursing route or the self-employed/business route whichever is the quicker...
You are most welcome.

If your wife can get enough points through her nursing qualifications and experience (or yourself) then I would go down the Express Entry Skilled Worker route, it's far quicker (6 months) than the self employed (62 months).

Getting her quaiifications recognised is a good first step!

Have you looked at the 'come to Canada' wizard and the CRS points calculator? If you check the points (assuming top marks for English testing) then post back, we can perhaps give you some pointers. Do check the points for both of you, not just your wife.

You can find them here: Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay? and here: Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool - Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)