Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Family sponsorship- sponsoring a sibling

Family sponsorship- sponsoring a sibling

Old Aug 26th 2015, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of
Default Family sponsorship- sponsoring a sibling

Hi everyone,

sorry if this has been answered somewhere before but all i can find is information on spousal sponsorship.

My brother is a Canadian citizen and recently found this page on the CIC website:

Sponsor your relatives

which states:

Option 2 – Other relative

You can sponsor one relative of any age if:

you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or one of the following living relatives you could sponsor instead:
son or daughter,
parent,
grandparent,
brother or sister, or
uncle, aunt, nephew or niece.
AND,

you do not have a spouse, common law partner, conjugal partner, or any of the above-named relatives who is a:
Canadian citizen,
permanent resident, or
registered Indian under the Indian Act.

Does this mean he is able to sponsor me to move to Canada? And what is the process there- do I also have to be eligible under one of the other immigration streams?

Thanks in advance
Sam
Old Aug 26th 2015, 11:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family sponsorship- sponsoring a sibling

Originally Posted by Sammilc
Does this mean he is able to sponsor me to move to Canada? And what is the process there- do I also have to be eligible under one of the other immigration streams?
Yes, if you're eligible as per the above text i.e. he basically has no relatives in Canada at all and nobody outside Canada he could sponsor such as parents or grandparents. And you wouldn't need to be eligible under another stream, you only need to be eligible under one to apply for PR.

Which province is he in? Some allow for sponsorship under the PNP as well.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 26th 2015 at 11:25 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 26th 2015, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

He's in BC, but we have living parents, another sibling, and niece and nephew, so I guess that plan is scuppered!
Old Aug 26th 2015, 11:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammilc
He's in BC, but we have living parents, another sibling, and niece and nephew, so I guess that plan is scuppered!
Ah, yes it is then I'm afraid.

Sorry, but as per the text above he'd have to meet that criteria i.e. have no relatives elsewhere he could sponsor (such as your parents), AND have no relatives at all in Canada i.e. a spouse or children.

It's both I'm afraid, not one or the other.

Good luck with finding another way there.