family sponsorship from a cousin

Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:39 am
Just Joined

hillywilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default family sponsorship from a cousin

OK, having read the information on CIC and had a trawl around the internet I am thoroughly confused!! I have a cousin who lives in Alberta (and has done for around 15 years) I don't know if he is an official citizen or PR. He has a fully fledged canadian wife and 2 canadian kids (if this bears any relevance).
We were just wondering if there was any milage in looking at the family sponsorship route. I'm fairly certain there isn't but there is a mass of conflicting information out there and I wouldn't want to miss this as an opportunity.We are intending to submit a 'self employed' visa request at around Christmas anyway, but wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on the murk of immigration information!
Thanks
Hillywilly
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:52 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: family sponsorship from a cousin

Originally Posted by hillywilly
OK, having read the information on CIC and had a trawl around the internet I am thoroughly confused!! I have a cousin who lives in Alberta (and has done for around 15 years) I don't know if he is an official citizen or PR. He has a fully fledged canadian wife and 2 canadian kids (if this bears any relevance).
We were just wondering if there was any milage in looking at the family sponsorship route. I'm fairly certain there isn't but there is a mass of conflicting information out there and I wouldn't want to miss this as an opportunity.We are intending to submit a 'self employed' visa request at around Christmas anyway, but wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on the murk of immigration information!
Thanks
Hillywilly
You're right he cannot sponsor you. You get a few point for having a relative in Canada, other than that you're on your own.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 7th 2009 at 12:05 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 1:21 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by The Aviator
You're right he cannot sponsor you. You get a few point for having a relative in Canada, other than that you're on your own.
1. Actually no points for a cousin.
2. If the relationship was closer, there is the Alberta Family stream, but cousin is not close enough http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...amfaqs.html#12
Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:02 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

2. If the relationship was closer, there is the Alberta Family stream, but cousin is not close enough http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...amfaqs.html#12
The above seems more flexible that the Federal family route (siblings etc).

I had a quick browse of the BC website, but couldn't find anything similar - if anyone has spotted something for BC which enables siblings to sponsor, I would appreciate a nod in the right direction.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
The above seems more flexible that the Federal family route (siblings etc).

I had a quick browse of the BC website, but couldn't find anything similar - if anyone has spotted something for BC which enables siblings to sponsor, I would appreciate a nod in the right direction.
Afraid BC doesn't have anything similar. Only Alberta, Manitoba and I believe SK allow family sponsorship via PNP.

Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:51 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Afraid BC doesn't have anything similar. Only Alberta, Manitoba and I believe SK allow family sponsorship via PNP.

Oh well, thanks for responding & BC is my aim - so FSW best to try for now
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bali2010
Oh well, thanks for responding & BC is my aim - so FSW best to try for now
Is BC your aim because that's where your sibling is? Because you wouldn't be eligible anyway then - see above. She/he would have to be living in Alberta, Manitoba or SK to be able to sponsor you. So definitely have to go for FSW!

Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Has the cousin even been proven to have PR?
I think that at best you will have a place to start the process, ie an address to get mail to, a contact to begin networking. Even a place to sleep over when on your recce trip etc!
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Is BC your aim because that's where your sibling is? Because you wouldn't be eligible anyway then - see above. She/he would have to be living in Alberta, Manitoba or SK to be able to sponsor you. So definitely have to go for FSW!

Hello, she is in BC & I am trying FSW for me to get PR (but do get some points for her in the relatives & adaptability bit)
I was just wondering if I had an alternative route, in case BC did have something like Alberta, but seems not.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

hillywilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for your replies to the OP. I kind of knew it wouldn't help, but when you see conflicting information, you have to check it out just in case!!

back to Plan A then.
hils