Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

family sponsorhip-orphaned brother /sister

family sponsorhip-orphaned brother /sister

Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Lean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default family sponsorhip-orphaned brother /sister

Hello Experts;
I am a permenant resident in Canada. I am in the process of sponsoring my brother who is 38 years old. But in the CIC website,it says that you can only sponsor an orphaned brother or sister. Is the definition of an orphan brother or sister is the person who has no father or mother ?
Please clarify
Thank you in advance for your assistance
Thank you
Old Apr 24th 2005, 1:59 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: family sponsorhip-orphaned brother /sister

You cannot sponsor brother, unless he is under 18, unmarried and orpaned (both parents deceased).

There is also an option to sponsor one relative - only if sponsor has no spouse, children or other close relatives in Canada and nobody else abroad who may be sponsored as family class member.

Read here:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/regu/sor2-227/sec117.html

Originally Posted by Lean
Hello Experts;
I am a permenant resident in Canada. I am in the process of sponsoring my brother who is 38 years old. But in the CIC website,it says that you can only sponsor an orphaned brother or sister. Is the definition of an orphan brother or sister is the person who has no father or mother ?
Please clarify
Thank you in advance for your assistance
Thank you