Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Family Quandary – Mr Miller, Experts Help!!

Family Quandary – Mr Miller, Experts Help!!

Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Shez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family Quandary – Mr Miller, Experts Help!!

I am about to apply for Canadian immigration and just barely pass the 67 pass mark, which to be quite honest bothers me as I hate being on or barely above the borderline in any circumstance and it is also being rumoured that the pass mark might be raised. However, I do have an elder half-brother who immigrated to Canada in 1999, still lives there, and apparently is now applying for Canadian citizenship. I am told that if I claim my half-brother as my relative in Canada, it could add a much-needed extra 5 points. What then is the problem?

My elder half-brother is the product of an earlier marriage my father had before marrying my mum. Apparently when the marriage ended, there was a lot of bad blood after he left the family between his ex-wife and my mum, so we never really got to know each other or acknowledge one another. However, my father has certified copies of his birth records as well as his landed immigrant records (the latter were used by my father to apply for a visa when he invited my father to visit him in Canada), so I have documentation to prove that we have the same biological father and that he is a Canadian PR. However, on contacting my half-brother through my father to intimate him of my intention to include his name as a relative in my application (which I suggested as an act of courtesy), he vehemently refused!

Since this was to be expected considering the family feud, I wrote him an e-mail to explain that no financial, moral or social obligation was required of him before, during or after the application process since he was not and couldn't sponsor me. I then got a reply to my e-mail in which my half-brother stated that I couldn’t and shouldn’t mention our kinship since it might cause problems for him in Canada and most especially for his citizenship application because CIC might not only deny his citizenship, they might also revoke his residency for “concealment and non-disclosure of material facts� during his PR application since he did not declare myself or my other siblings as additional family members!!

This has put me in a fix. Is he just being funny and this is just an excuse for me not to benefit from his residency or is he really right about the non-disclosure issue? Also, won’t the same issue rear its head as a problem for me in the future if my PR application is successful and I had also failed to disclose him as an additional family member during my application? I hate to wash family problems in public but I do need advice on what next to do as I am in a quandary right now. I would not want to jeopardize or turn his life upside down because of an innocent mistake, however vindictive it might have been but I also want to safeguard my own future interests as well
Old Jul 16th 2004, 1:28 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family Quandary – Mr Miller, Experts Help!!

Ooops...

If he really is telling the truth that he didn't disclose you in his application then yes, he may be in some troubles, but not serious as fact of having a half sibling was not material in any way and didn't have any impact on his PR application. Nobody will deny him citizenship due to this or go after his PR status. It is all B.S.

But fact that you were not mentioned in his application may affect your case as you will have to do some more explanation.

More - you not only need proof that he is your half brother (birth certificates) and that he is a Canadian PR (copy of his landing paper) but you must also provide evidence that he is living in Canada (his utility bills, payroll record or school attendance record, etc.). Thus you need his cooperation.

Originally posted by Shez
I am about to apply for Canadian immigration and just barely pass the 67 pass mark, which to be quite honest bothers me as I hate being on or barely above the borderline in any circumstance and it is also being rumoured that the pass mark might be raised. However, I do have an elder half-brother who immigrated to Canada in 1999, still lives there, and apparently is now applying for Canadian citizenship. I am told that if I claim my half-brother as my relative in Canada, it could add a much-needed extra 5 points. What then is the problem?

My elder half-brother is the product of an earlier marriage my father had before marrying my mum. Apparently when the marriage ended, there was a lot of bad blood after he left the family between his ex-wife and my mum, so we never really got to know each other or acknowledge one another. However, my father has certified copies of his birth records as well as his landed immigrant records (the latter were used by my father to apply for a visa when he invited my father to visit him in Canada), so I have documentation to prove that we have the same biological father and that he is a Canadian PR. However, on contacting my half-brother through my father to intimate him of my intention to include his name as a relative in my application (which I suggested as an act of courtesy), he vehemently refused!

Since this was to be expected considering the family feud, I wrote him an e-mail to explain that no financial, moral or social obligation was required of him before, during or after the application process since he was not and couldn't sponsor me. I then got a reply to my e-mail in which my half-brother stated that I couldn’t and shouldn’t mention our kinship since it might cause problems for him in Canada and most especially for his citizenship application because CIC might not only deny his citizenship, they might also revoke his residency for “concealment and non-disclosure of material facts� during his PR application since he did not declare myself or my other siblings as additional family members!!

This has put me in a fix. Is he just being funny and this is just an excuse for me not to benefit from his residency or is he really right about the non-disclosure issue? Also, won’t the same issue rear its head as a problem for me in the future if my PR application is successful and I had also failed to disclose him as an additional family member during my application? I hate to wash family problems in public but I do need advice on what next to do as I am in a quandary right now. I would not want to jeopardize or turn his life upside down because of an innocent mistake, however vindictive it might have been but I also want to safeguard my own future interests as well