Family with medical problems

Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice
Default Family with medical problems

Hi everyone

I'm in the process of doing my permanent residency application for Canada, and I had a question which hopefully someone here will know the answer to.

I'm filling out the forms, and there is a section which says something to the effect that I can have my family undergo medical examinations, and then I preserve my right to sponsor them in future as a family member. Or alternatively they don't have to do medicals, but then I can never sponsor them and they would have to apply in their own right in future.

My mum has a reasonably serious liver problem. If she undergoes a medical, and they find out (which I presume they would), does that jeopardise my application?? My dad also has minor health issues but nothing serious.

My parents have zero intention of ever immigrating to Canada. And even if they did, they have plenty of money to pay for medical treatment. But we all know things change, and unexpected circumstances arise. I would hate to be in the situation in say 15 years time if my dad died, and my mum wanted to join me in Canada but couldn't because she didn't undergo a medical. But equally, I wouldn't want my application rejected because of a parent with medical trouble.

Does anybody have any advice here??

Thanks a lot!

Dave
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:42 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family with medical problems

Hi

Originally Posted by david_oz
Hi everyone

I'm in the process of doing my permanent residency application for Canada, and I had a question which hopefully someone here will know the answer to.

I'm filling out the forms, and there is a section which says something to the effect that I can have my family undergo medical examinations, and then I preserve my right to sponsor them in future as a family member. Or alternatively they don't have to do medicals, but then I can never sponsor them and they would have to apply in their own right in future.

My mum has a reasonably serious liver problem. If she undergoes a medical, and they find out (which I presume they would), does that jeopardise my application?? My dad also has minor health issues but nothing serious.

My parents have zero intention of ever immigrating to Canada. And even if they did, they have plenty of money to pay for medical treatment. But we all know things change, and unexpected circumstances arise. I would hate to be in the situation in say 15 years time if my dad died, and my mum wanted to join me in Canada but couldn't because she didn't undergo a medical. But equally, I wouldn't want my application rejected because of a parent with medical trouble.

Does anybody have any advice here??

Thanks a lot!

Dave
Yes, re-read the information, it refers to your accompanying family, i.e. spouse, and dependent children included in the application, not any other relatives.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Yes, re-read the information, it refers to your accompanying family, i.e. spouse, and dependent children included in the application, not any other relatives.
really???

this form says:

R117(9)(d) excludes persons from membership in the family class by virtue of their relation to a sponsor, if they were not medically examined as part of the sponsor's application for permanent residence. The intent of the regulation was to ensure that where, by decision of the applicant, a family member was not examined, that the applicant cannot benefit later by sponsoring this person as a member of the family class.

I further acknowledge that my decision to have the person named above not undergo a medical exam will exclude him/her from membership in the family class by virtue of his/her relationship to me. Should the person named above desire to go forward to Canada at a future date, he/she must fully comply with all requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations in effect at that time. I realize that failure to meet these requirements could result in permanent separation.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 5:42 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by david_oz
really???

this form says:

R117(9)(d) excludes persons from membership in the family class by virtue of their relation to a sponsor, if they were not medically examined as part of the sponsor's application for permanent residence. The intent of the regulation was to ensure that where, by decision of the applicant, a family member was not examined, that the applicant cannot benefit later by sponsoring this person as a member of the family class.

I further acknowledge that my decision to have the person named above not undergo a medical exam will exclude him/her from membership in the family class by virtue of his/her relationship to me. Should the person named above desire to go forward to Canada at a future date, he/she must fully comply with all requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations in effect at that time. I realize that failure to meet these requirements could result in permanent separation.
You don't have to believe me, but"if they were not medically examined as part of the sponsor's application for permanent residence. " They are not on your IMM 8 the application for Permanent Residence, the only place they are listed is on the IMM 5406.