Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Family-Class Sponsorship (Parental) - CPC-M...Processing Times?

Family-Class Sponsorship (Parental) - CPC-M...Processing Times?

Old Jan 26th 2005, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Darren&Alex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family-Class Sponsorship (Parental) - CPC-M...Processing Times?

Dear All,

In very near future am compiling documentation to begin sponsorship proceedings for my parents...

In reading the CIC website it advises that current processing times for the sponsorship-aspect of Parental applications is in the 19-20 months ratio and that currently they are dealing with apps (upto) June 2003...

My question is:

Is this timescale a realistic quotation and/or has anybody submitted a similar application and had a response yet?

All feedback welcome...thanks

PS

Feedback regarding anybodys medical eligibility (IN-eligibility) through any applications processed welcome...dad had a heart by-pass with full recovery in recent times and was curious if this is likely to be a significant factor???

Thanks again

Darren&Alex
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:41 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family-Class Sponsorship (Parental) - CPC-M...Processing Times?

These are real current timelines and only for the first part of process - approving sponsor. Then you need to add to it 2 to 5+ years for your parents' PR application in proper visa post (check those timelines on CIC website). Realistically - things will go worse as parent's sponsorship has the lowest priority. Expect much longer processing times.

Originally Posted by Darren&Alex
Dear All,

In very near future am compiling documentation to begin sponsorship proceedings for my parents...

In reading the CIC website it advises that current processing times for the sponsorship-aspect of Parental applications is in the 19-20 months ratio and that currently they are dealing with apps (upto) June 2003...

My question is:

Is this timescale a realistic quotation and/or has anybody submitted a similar application and had a response yet?

All feedback welcome...thanks

PS

Feedback regarding anybodys medical eligibility (IN-eligibility) through any applications processed welcome...dad had a heart by-pass with full recovery in recent times and was curious if this is likely to be a significant factor???

Thanks again

Darren&Alex
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

WOW...sorry but i have to comment on this one.
Am so sorry to hear of such a long timeline for you to be able to sponsor your parents. To me it seems totaly ridiculous.

I understand it is probably to do with lack of staffing etc. Government beaurocracy etc etc

Why don't they re-train people to work as immigration *whatevers*.admin staff etc....to help with the load of applications. I am sure there is plenty of people with suitable aptitudes and skills etc. Heck i would even train as one of them...geeeeeeesh~
Old Jan 26th 2005, 7:25 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
Am so sorry to hear of such a long timeline for you to be able to sponsor your parents. To me it seems totaly ridiculous.

I understand it is probably to do with lack of staffing etc. Government beaurocracy etc etc

Why don't they re-train people to work as immigration *whatevers*.admin staff etc....to help with the load of applications. I am sure there is plenty of people with suitable aptitudes and skills etc. Heck i would even train as one of them...geeeeeeesh~
I wonder what NOC code a CIC officer has and if we could get an HRDC confirmed job offer from CIC
Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:50 am

It has absolutely nothing to do with staff or resources. It is due to lowered annual targets for parents - in the past number of sponsored parents immigrating to Canada was almost equal to the number of principal applicants in economic classes, thus hurting Canadian economy and outbalancing health and social programs. Majority of sponsored parents unfortunately are already beyond working age and many become a burden on health and social servicess soon after landing, without contributing to Canadian economy at all and this is the main reason for lowering targets (quotas) and priorities and slower processing times as result. Don't expect any improvement in this area, sorry.

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf

Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It has absolutely nothing to do with staff or resources. It is due to lowered annual targets for parents - in the past number of sponsored parents immigrating to Canada was almost equal to the number of principal applicants in economic classes, thus hurting Canadian economy and outbalancing health and social programs. Majority of sponsored parents unfortunately are already beyond working age and many become a burden on health and social servicess soon after landing, without contributing to Canadian economy at all and this is the main reason for lowering targets (quotas) and priorities and slower processing times as result. Don't expect any improvement in this area, sorry.
hmmm well that makes sense to me.

Part of my deciding process on whether to immigrate to Canada or for my fiance to come here included the thoughts of my mother. However, i have 2 brothers and one sister that live here in Australia. If i never come back here to live i know she will be well taken care of. There is many things to take into consideration when thinking of immigrating.
Thanks for the insight Andrew.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 2:27 am
Baz

Bazcop is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
These are real current timelines and only for the first part of process - approving sponsor. Then you need to add to it 2 to 5+ years for your parents' PR application in proper visa post (check those timelines on CIC website). Realistically - things will go worse as parent's sponsorship has the lowest priority. Expect much longer processing times.
Hi Andrew, I have much respect for your responses and advice given. I am however quite deflated over your advice in this case. I accept that the figures given in the CIC site say June 2003 - 19/20 months, but I cannot see anywhere where it says that this is the time scale for acceptance as a sponsor only. Wouldn't one think that another 5+ years possible wait should be indicated or am I missing a point here? Also back in March 2004 you said then - quote
"First stage - to be approved as a sponsor - currently takes about 9 months in Mississauga when sponsoring parents. At present Mississauga is approving cases received in the second week of June 2003. So, you still have quite a long time to wait just to be approved as a sponsor.

Second stage - your parents' PR application processed in proper visa post
abroad - may take anywhere from a year to over 3 years, depending from visa post, your parents' nationality and few other factors.

Are we saying here that it is still June 2003, even though we are 10 months further down the line? And, are we saying that it has now jumped from 3+ years to 5+years?

Is there written CIC policy on Parental sponsorship or is it just a fact of life that they drag their heels on parents?
One last question Andrew have you a link for the timelines on proper visa posts on the CIC site as suggested by you - can't find it.
Many thanks Andrew - don't know what a lot of folk would do without you and similar folk. Do I have your permission to contact you on private email?

Is there anybody out there who has 'completed' in good time as a sponsored parent?
Baz

Last edited by Bazcop; Jan 30th 2005 at 2:34 am. Reason: misunderstanding rectified.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 4:31 am

It is clearly indicated on the website that those timelines are for **sponsorship applications** - it means first stage of the process, only to approve the sponsor.

Entire sponsorship package has both applications - application to sponsor (sponsorship application) and PR application for sponsored parents. After sponsorship application is approved (currently about 20 months) the PR application is being forwarded to proper visa post abroad. Look for timelines abroad for sponsored parents here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...c-parents.html

Those timelines are for cases already completed, cases that started and were processed before government decided to lower quotas for sponsored parents. Timelines just as I wrote back in March 2004 as per your quote. In about 3 to 6 years from now (when parental sponsorship cases filed in past 6 or so months will be concluded) you'll see statistics showing substantial increase in processing times abroad, just as we've seen already insrease (almost doubled) in the processing times for sponsorship stage of the process between 2003 and today.

Originally Posted by Bazcop
Hi Andrew, I have much respect for your responses and advice given. I am however quite deflated over your advice in this case. I accept that the figures given in the CIC site say June 2003 - 19/20 months, but I cannot see anywhere where it says that this is the time scale for acceptance as a sponsor only. Wouldn't one think that another 5+ years possible wait should be indicated or am I missing a point here? Also back in March 2004 you said then - quote
"First stage - to be approved as a sponsor - currently takes about 9 months in Mississauga when sponsoring parents. At present Mississauga is approving cases received in the second week of June 2003. So, you still have quite a long time to wait just to be approved as a sponsor.

Second stage - your parents' PR application processed in proper visa post
abroad - may take anywhere from a year to over 3 years, depending from visa post, your parents' nationality and few other factors.

Are we saying here that it is still June 2003, even though we are 10 months further down the line? And, are we saying that it has now jumped from 3+ years to 5+years?

Is there written CIC policy on Parental sponsorship or is it just a fact of life that they drag their heels on parents?
One last question Andrew have you a link for the timelines on proper visa posts on the CIC site as suggested by you - can't find it.
Many thanks Andrew - don't know what a lot of folk would do without you and similar folk. Do I have your permission to contact you on private email?

Is there anybody out there who has 'completed' in good time as a sponsored parent?
Baz