Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Family Class or Canada Class for common law app?

Family Class or Canada Class for common law app?

Old Jan 7th 2017, 4:50 am
Just Joined

OttawaLo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family Class or Canada Class for common law app?

Hellooo! Been lurking in the background (in a non creepy way!) for a while but this is my first post.. About me: I currently live in Canada. Have visitor status. Originally from Scotland. This forum has been and continues to be invaluable in my application so far!

So... I was almost ready to apply for PR via common law sponsorship (outland) then they announced the imminent changes in December, so i waited. I am now almost ready to submit using the new forms but i am a little confused (a common occurence throughout this process!).

I understand that there is now not exactly outland and inland, but a differentiation in the sponsorship types. One being Family Class. The other being Common Law Partner in Canada Class.

I am right in thinking I can only apply for the OWP using the Canada Class, right?

Is the Canada Class pretty much the new version of "inland"? With the same rules in that you can't leave Canada while its being processed?

You see I initially thought that I would apply Canada Class so I can have the OWP in 4 months? But then after reading, rereading and then doing some more reading I'm starting to think I wouldn't be allowed to leave Canada to visit UK as soon as I've submitted my app? (This is what i planned to do for the old outland version) I know that it all depends on the immigration officer when entering etc but in general terms I mean not allowed/advised to leave and reenter? Would I even be ok to leave and return AFTER receiving my OWP?

Where as with the Family Class I could apply and then go home to visit the UK (for 10 days or so) straight away and be more than likely be able to get back into canada showing my payment of fees, signed delivery of app etc.

Essentially what i want is.. I want to be able to go home and visit the UK as soon as possible with as much assurance as possible that I get back into canada. And i want to get an OWP. And since we are adding things to the list.. I want to win the lottery!

I hope that all makes sense!

Thanks a million!

Lo x
Old Jan 10th 2017, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Class or Canada Class for common law app?

Personally I would not recommend you make an in Canada application if leaving Canada during processing is a priority.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:18 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family Class or Canada Class for common law app?

I'm with Snowy, if you need to leave Canada then play it safe and apply outland. You won't get a work permit, but you won't risk having your application cancelled either. So it's a bit inconvenient but it's the safer option.