Fallen at the first hurdle

Old Jun 6th 2016, 12:49 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5
Zookie Dee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fallen at the first hurdle

Myself and my husband and 3 kids were wanting to emigrate over to Canada. We've been wanting to for the last 15 years but then kids arrived and one thing and another and now we are at the point of it has to be within the next few years or it'll be too late. Anyway we spoke to immigration consultants etc and got a general idea of which ways we can make it. Initially we were going to try to enter via the skilled worker route, however, I sent my education certificates off to be assessed to CES and finally tracked down the company who issued my certificate. (LCC Legal Secretaries Diploma) However the company who have taken over LCC only go back as far as 1996 and my qualification was issued in 1992. See their response below:

I am sorry but l have been informed that the records Pearson inherited from EDI/LCCI Qualifications does not go back to 1992, but 1996 onwards so we are unable to verify your qualification. Please note that this does not mean that you did not do your qualification.


CES has refunded my money because I can't get the original certificates to them direct from the institute that issued them. Is that it then.....does this mean I don't effectively have any higher education in their eyes. I needed these extra points to get in on the express entry route. My Brother lives in Vancouver Island so having him there was giving me extra points too.....actually still not sure how many extra points he will give me as that was a bit up in the air and waiting to be clarified when we were looking into this, I was under the impression it was changing and we would get more points for this aspect.

My other option was to do a college course and go in on a student visa (which is actually something I would like to do), so the hubby can get a work permit and the kids go to school. Then gain a 3 year working visa after that and then apply for PR. This is what I was lead to believe anyway.

Any help on the ECA's though would be grateful.

Thank you

BTW - we were looking at coming to BC probably Vancouver Island so I could be near my brother. And the husband isn't an option as primary applicant as he is a bus driver and has no evidence of higher education etc.
Zookie Dee is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2016, 12:54 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,413
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fallen at the first hurdle

Hi, and welcome to BE.

What do you score on the CRS? Would you definitely have enough points if you had got the ECA? What was the actual diploma, was it an NVQ, BTEC etc? Who was the issuing body i.e. Edexcel etc?

The study permit is a good option is there is not other route and you have the funds, but I'd definitely try and get the ECA sorted if you can.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2016, 3:23 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5
Zookie Dee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fallen at the first hurdle

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Hi, and welcome to BE.

What do you score on the CRS? Would you definitely have enough points if you had got the ECA? What was the actual diploma, was it an NVQ, BTEC etc? Who was the issuing body i.e. Edexcel etc?

The study permit is a good option is there is not other route and you have the funds, but I'd definitely try and get the ECA sorted if you can.
I can't remember the exact CRS score we came up with. It was below the entry level though even with the ECA sorted. But they said it was still worth putting an entry in as if the level dropped which was anticipated at the time and if the amount of points for having a sibling rose which again was anticipated then we would have been in with a chance of going through. I know there's a lot of ifs and buts there....lol. The consultant wanted £7,000 plus to sort this out...and I doubt they would have gotten anywhere further than I have either.

The qualification I have is a 2 year legal secretary diploma - issued by the London Chamber of Commerce. Who have since been taken over by Pearsons. I did ask them how was I supposed to obtain copy certificates before 1996 but they didn't have an answer for that, just said they has no records before that date.

I think the study route is looking more likely. We have about £120,000 to £140,000 so will have the funds to show etc. I was just wondering if anybody else had experienced not being able to get copy certificates of actual diplomas they had and if they had a different solution.
Zookie Dee is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2016, 3:44 pm
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,413
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fallen at the first hurdle

It doesn't sound to me as though the certificate would count anyway, even if you could get a copy of it? I might be wrong, but it just doesn't sound like an academic qualification - and please don't think I'm saying it's not very good, it's just that vocational qualifications don't count for points/ECA purposes, and I can't see how it could be considered academic having done something similar myself.

How far below the 450ish are you on the CRS? Do double check it, as if you're well below then personally I would say it's not worth trying to get an ECA anyway, and to concentrate on another visa route, but if you're close then it might be worth trying another ECA agency to see if they have any suggestions. Is a job offer possible for either of you?
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2016, 3:52 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5
Zookie Dee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fallen at the first hurdle

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
It doesn't sound to me as though the certificate would count anyway, even if you could get a copy of it? I might be wrong, but it just doesn't sound like an academic qualification - and please don't think I'm saying it's not very good, it's just that vocational qualifications don't count for points/ECA purposes, and I can't see how it could be considered academic having done something similar myself.

How far below the 450ish are you on the CRS? Do double check it, as if you're well below then personally I would say it's not worth trying to get an ECA anyway, and to concentrate on another visa route, but if you're close then it might be worth trying another ECA agency to see if they have any suggestions. Is a job offer possible for either of you?
I will double check the CRS score tonight. As for a job offer, neither of us are in the type of jobs that can get an LMO I don't think (bus driver/ legal secretary). But we are going over for 3 weeks in August so will try and do a bit of networking and see if we can bag a job , maybe in a different work field. Who knows, we will definitely be keeping our eyes and ears open.

Thank you 😊
Zookie Dee is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:22 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 19
stupid_old_fart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fallen at the first hurdle

I'm not butting in I hope...if you are looking at working on this over the next couple of years and you have the funds, as your husband is already a professional driver, could your husband take a class 1 lorry licence in the UK and perhaps work in that field for the next couple of years (i have no idea how he would go about it, just keep seeing adverts for LMIA supported jobs in this field on Canadian job searches)....lots of trucking companies out here have and use Temporary workers, once PR/etc approved he can always go back to the buses.
stupid_old_fart is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:30 pm
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,413
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fallen at the first hurdle

Originally Posted by stupid_old_fart View Post
I'm not butting in I hope...if you are looking at working on this over the next couple of years and you have the funds, as your husband is already a professional driver, could your husband take a class 1 lorry licence in the UK and perhaps work in that field for the next couple of years (i have no idea how he would go about it, just keep seeing adverts for LMIA supported jobs in this field on Canadian job searches)....lots of trucking companies out here have and use Temporary workers, once PR/etc approved he can always go back to the buses.
Not butting in at all, you are very welcome to post! But drivers need at least a couple of years Class 1 experience to get a LMIA I believe, and LMIA's are very scarce at the mo (most companies will only consider those already in Canada).

The OP could ask in the trucking forum though, but I think he'd need quite a bit of Class 1 experience first.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:33 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 19
stupid_old_fart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fallen at the first hurdle

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Not butting in at all, you are very welcome to post! But drivers need at least a couple of years Class 1 experience to get a LMIA I believe, and LMIA's are very scarce at the mo (most companies will only consider those already in Canada).

The OP could ask in the trucking forum though, but I think he'd need quite a bit of Class 1 experience first.
Thanks, I have no idea of the industry, just kept seeing the jobs on the sites.
stupid_old_fart is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2016, 9:46 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 5
Zookie Dee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fallen at the first hurdle

Originally Posted by stupid_old_fart View Post
Thanks, I have no idea of the industry, just kept seeing the jobs on the sites.
We did look into this a few years ago. He was considering getting his class 1 licence, but like you say would probably need experience in the driving as well. I'd forgotten about this option though. I might look into it further.
Thank you
Zookie Dee is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2016, 4:07 pm
  #10  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,942
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fallen at the first hurdle

I have no idea about the immigration options any more and def not in BC but does that province (or any for that matter) still have Provincial nomination route? We came through that to Nova Scotia and I know many others who also took that road that are photocopier engineers or secretaries etc etc and didn't have degrees.
Howefamily is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.