Extending work visa

Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Oliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond repute
Default Extending work visa

Hi everyone.

Just have a few questions about Visas, I find the CIC website very confusing, not so helpful!

Myself and my fiancee moved here in August, Im on a Study visa and he is on a Work visa.
Our visas are for 18 months (duration of my education course).

We really love it here and are wanting to stay long term. I have read I can get a Post grad visa but dont think I can apply until I've graduated.

We are just debating when to apply for my other halfs extended work visa. Do you need reasons to apply or can you just request? Can he apply now ready for next year or is it best to wait until last minute?

We wanted to get it done as soon as possible so we know if we can stay or not but we dont want to apply and then get knocked back because its too early...

Has anyone applied for extended visa or post grad visa and has any advice for us?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending work visa

My husband and I are here on Work Permits. He's the primary applicant with an LMIA and I have an SOWP through him.
When we came through immigration in January the immigration officer told us that if his company were able to extend his contract then he'd advice we apply for extensions to our Work Permits ASAP because you're not only renewing that, you're renewing things like SIN numbers and healthcare etc.
We have two years and have already been told we can have at least another year so will be renewing again in the summer. (Our initial Work Permits don't end till Jan 2019)
Old Mar 29th 2017, 2:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, your OH can't extend his work permit, as it's tied to your course of study so can only be for that duration. If you want to stay longer term, then you'll need to look to see if you are eligible for PR, or ask his employer to apply for a LMIA for him so that he can switch to a 'normal' work permit (which would be for 2-3 years usually).

HTH.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP gets a Post graduation work permit and then a job at the required skill level, the fiancee may be eligible to apply for a spouse work permit.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
If the OP gets a Post graduation work permit and then a job at the required skill level, the fiancee may be eligible to apply for a spouse work permit.
Yes, absolutely, but that's not 'as soon as possible'! If they want to know they can stay longer term sooner rather than later, they'll need to look at other options (ideally just applying for PR if eligible).
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Oliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond reputeOliviald has a reputation beyond repute

So we basically have to wait until I graduate and apply for a post grad? If i get accepted will he automaticlly get extended visa as he is on mine now or is a sperate application for him?

I saw the Express Entry on the website. I did the 'see if your eligable' questions and it was asking things like what visa do you have, have you worked here for a year etc... which he will of done. From what youve both said im assuming this application is just for people on their own working visas?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Oliviald
So we basically have to wait until I graduate and apply for a post grad?
There are other options if he qualifies for them (as above), that he can apply for before you graduate.

If i get accepted will he automaticlly get extended visa as he is on mine now or is a sperate application for him?
It's not automatic, and he can only get a work permit once you get a 'skilled' job on your PGWP. It's basically the same process as when you got your study permit i.e. it'll be tied to your visa but not automatic and needs to be applied for. So once you're in a a skilled job, he can head to the nearest POE and apply for his own open work permit then.

The other thing is just to check that you would be able to get a PGWP - not all studies lead to one so make sure you could.

From what youve both said im assuming this application is just for people on their own working visas?
No, it's for everybody. Lots of people would apply for it from the UK (or any country around the world) that have never worked in Canada. It's just a way for a skilled worker to apply for PR without a job offer being required.

HTH.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your answers, been a big help! I guess it will be harder to stay than we originally thought! Hopefully we will recieve enough points to be able to apply.

Just been looking into all the visas again, does anyone know if the IELTS are neccessary to take, Ive seen they are valid for 2 years so was considering taking them now to spread the costs out