Wikiposts

Extending work permit question!

Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

tnkngn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extending work permit question!

Hello All!

I am in the process of renewing my work permit.
I am currently filling out the form - IMM 1249 - and was wondering what to put into box 10 D "extend my stay for the following reasons"......

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM1249E.PDF

They are looking for a written explanation of why I want to extend my stay as a worker. Obviously I want to extend my stay as a worker!

What should I put there? Ideas?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice
Default Re: Extending work permit question!

Originally Posted by tnkngn
Hello All!

I am in the process of renewing my work permit.
I am currently filling out the form - IMM 1249 - and was wondering what to put into box 10 D "extend my stay for the following reasons"......

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM1249E.PDF

They are looking for a written explanation of why I want to extend my stay as a worker. Obviously I want to extend my stay as a worker!

What should I put there? Ideas?
Have you got a new positive LMO and offer of employment (either current employer or new)? If so, you could write something like .... 'I have received another offer of employment from my employer for a further **period and obtained a new LMO'

Nothing major required (I don't think). That's what we put on ours, and it's in the pile now!! We did it online, not by paper.

Good Luck
Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply Lloydies!

There's one thing I am confused about. The "new" LMO.

I was over here before on another work permit, in another job, different NOC (cabinetmaker NOC 7272) classification. I renewed my work permit then, without a new LMO! No problem at all, got the extension no questions asked.

I was gonna do the same again this time for my work permit extension (product manager NOC 0611), apply without a renewed LMO. Got a new offer from my current employer.

Suggestions?

Last edited by tnkngn; Apr 13th 2010 at 3:11 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future

Thanks for your reply Lloydies!

There's one thing I am confused about. The "new" LMO.

I was over here before on another work permit, in another job, different NOC (cabinetmaker NOC 7272) classification. I renewed my work permit then, without a new LMO! No problem at all, got the extension no questions asked.

I was gonna do the same again this time for my work permit extension (product manager NOC 0611), apply without a renewed LMO. Got a new offer from my current employer.

Suggestions?
When did you last renew your work permit? As I understand it, as of April 2009 employers have to apply for a new LMO in order to retain their temp foreign worker. Only upon receipt of positive LMO can you then apply for another work permit.

Somebody with more knowledge than myself will be able to confirm or correct this. Good luck anyway
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply zippadydoda!

Exactly thats where I struggle, it doesn't state that anywhere explicitely, what you had wrote about the LMO opinion for a work permit extension.

Anybody know where exactly this information is available?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:33 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for your reply zippadydoda!

Exactly thats where I struggle, it doesn't state that anywhere explicitely, what you had wrote about the LMO opinion for a work permit extension.

Anybody know where exactly this information is available?
See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2009/ob152.asp
All LMOs as of May 19,2009 have a validity of 6 months.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

My husband was issued a 12 month LMO in November 2009.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Ok, here my whole situation:

Applied for LMO early last year, LMO granted, work permit valid 12 month.
Now want to renew wp. Current WP expires May 1st 2010 ( I know I am late on reapplying to begin with).
If the LMO expired and I am still gonna go ahead and apply for the extension, what will happen? If they refuse to grant me the extension, what can I do? Apply to restore my status as a worker, after receiving a new positive LMO?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

Ok, here my whole situation:

Applied for LMO early last year, LMO granted, work permit valid 12 month.
Now want to renew wp. Current WP expires May 1st 2010 ( I know I am late on reapplying to begin with).
If the LMO expired and I am still gonna go ahead and apply for the extension, what will happen? If they refuse to grant me the extension, what can I do? Apply to restore my status as a worker, after receiving a new positive LMO?
Based on the info, I think they'll refuse your application without a valid LMO. Your employer shouldn't waste any time in advertising and apply for a new LMO, in the meantime, you can apply for your new WP and ask for concurrent processing.

In the event that an expired LMO is received in support of a WP, the WP will be refused under section 203 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). In the case of expired LMOs, employers will be required to apply for a new LMO if they still wish to hire a temporary foreign worker (TFW). HRSDC is no longer granting LMO extensions, so a new LMO application will be required in every case.

Read this for concurrent processing http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/processing.asp
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:13 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

PMM - has anything changed regarding extensions of intra-company transferee TWP's?

Looking like I may have to renew mine as PR hasn't come through yet...
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lloydies
Based on the info, I think they'll refuse your application without a valid LMO. Your employer shouldn't waste any time in advertising and apply for a new LMO, in the meantime, you can apply for your new WP and ask for concurrent processing.

In the event that an expired LMO is received in support of a WP, the WP will be refused under section 203 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). In the case of expired LMOs, employers will be required to apply for a new LMO if they still wish to hire a temporary foreign worker (TFW). HRSDC is no longer granting LMO extensions, so a new LMO application will be required in every case.

Read this for concurrent processing http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/processing.asp

Thanks for the reply Lloydies!

Going by what you say, if I would go and apply for an extension that would be turned down, I could go and work on implied status until I get the negative decision, correct?

Just to give you a bit of my background. I worked before as a cabinetmaker for two years on a work permit. Then I went back to school in Germany building on my background, I went for woodworking technology. Upon completion of my studies I went back to Canada on a Working Holiday Visa working for my current company - a German manufacturer of woodworking machinery - as product manager, which is selling machinery in the woodworking field.
There is a HUGE lack of skilled labour in this industry, the Canadian government has even a established a "Wood Manufacturing Council" to combat the lack of skilled people and attract more young people into it, see this link

http://www.wmc-cfb.ca

My company just recruited another German fellow with the exact same background as me (cabinetmaker--> more schooling --> Secondary wood products engineer), who worked for the parent company in Germany and came over through a intra-company transfer visa. You think this fact - if explained right - might help to go apply for the LMO without extra advertising?

We are looking for local people all the time - as is the whole industry we are dealing with - there just isn't any people that want to work in this field!!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Lloydies!

Going by what you say, if I would go and apply for an extension that would be turned down, I could go and work on implied status until I get the negative decision, correct?

Just to give you a bit of my background. I worked before as a cabinetmaker for two years on a work permit. Then I went back to school in Germany building on my background, I went for woodworking technology. Upon completion of my studies I went back to Canada on a Working Holiday Visa working for my current company - a German manufacturer of woodworking machinery - as product manager, which is selling machinery in the woodworking field.
There is a HUGE lack of skilled labour in this industry, the Canadian government has even a established a "Wood Manufacturing Council" to combat the lack of skilled people and attract more young people into it, see this link

http://www.wmc-cfb.ca

My company just recruited another German fellow with the exact same background as me (cabinetmaker--> more schooling --> Secondary wood products engineer), who worked for the parent company in Germany and came over through a intra-company transfer visa. You think this fact - if explained right - might help to go apply for the LMO without extra advertising?

We are looking for local people all the time - as is the whole industry we are dealing with - there just isn't any people that want to work in this field!!
Are you working for a German company - intra-company transfer? I don't know anything about that side, sorry!

If there is a problem finding people already here (Canadians/already landed immigrants) then surely the LMO will be approved, providing all relevant information is supplied with the application.

Good luck.