Extending work permit

Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

pete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant future
Default Extending work permit

Hi

My work permit is due to expire in Jan 2008 and I am hoping to send my PR application off to London this week.

I have tried looking back on previous threads on the forum and the CIC website (which keeps crashing on me) for info on whether or not my employer needs to apply for a new LMO approval for my work permit extension.

If anybody has gone through this process then I would be really grateful to hear how it went for you...especially if you had to apply for a new LMO.

Thanks

Pete
Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:46 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending work permit

Hi

Originally Posted by pete66
Hi

My work permit is due to expire in Jan 2008 and I am hoping to send my PR application off to London this week.

I have tried looking back on previous threads on the forum and the CIC website (which keeps crashing on me) for info on whether or not my employer needs to apply for a new LMO approval for my work permit extension.

If anybody has gone through this process then I would be really grateful to hear how it went for you...especially if you had to apply for a new LMO.

Thanks

Pete
If your work permit originally required an LMO, then the employer must get an extension and you must apply for an extension of the work permit when the LMO is received.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

pete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant future

Thanks. So we have to go through the whole LMO process again?

I don't know if others have done what we did the first time around...but the immigration lawyer we used had my employer provide details of where they had advertised my post etc.....they had to provide newspaper details, receipts that these advertisements had been placed and a whole bunch of other stuff - to prove that the company had tried to hire a Canadian worker.

Then we know of others in Ontario and who did none of this and got their LMO's quickly and with no questions asked.

So my next questions are....in general do you have to provide all the advertisement details? and how are people getting LMO approval without this information? Are my employer going to have to provide all this again....are they a bit more lenient when you are renewing a permit??

Thanks

Pete
Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:21 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by pete66
Thanks. So we have to go through the whole LMO process again?

I don't know if others have done what we did the first time around...but the immigration lawyer we used had my employer provide details of where they had advertised my post etc.....they had to provide newspaper details, receipts that these advertisements had been placed and a whole bunch of other stuff - to prove that the company had tried to hire a Canadian worker.

Then we know of others in Ontario and who did none of this and got their LMO's quickly and with no questions asked.

So my next questions are....in general do you have to provide all the advertisement details? and how are people getting LMO approval without this information? Are my employer going to have to provide all this again....are they a bit more lenient when you are renewing a permit??

Thanks

Pete
1. No, the employer completes the extension request, does not ask for more proof of advertisements see: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/epb/lmd/fw/emp5354e.pdf
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks PMM..

Sorry if I come across confused by this but if the company were to state NO to not advertising for a canadian etc since they hired me....does that not go against me in that the company have not tried to fill the post with a canadian citizen and would that result in my extension being refused???

I am sorry to fire all these questions at you but this is a very tricky area as I always thought they had to show that they had looked to hire a canadian over a foreign worker. What reason would an employer put that would be acceptable as to why they haven't looked for a local to do the job???

Do you know of anybody on the forum that has gone through the renewal process??

Thanks

Pete

Last edited by pete66; Jul 1st 2007 at 7:36 am. Reason: spelling mistake