Extending TWP

Old May 27th 2010, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

nikkihawkins84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extending TWP

My husband's work permit expires in April 2011 and we are looking at our options with regards to staying longer. His employer has said that they are willing to apply for an extension to the TWP (with a positive LMO of course) but they keep saying it's only for a year. Is this correct? If so does anyone know of a way that we can extend it for more than 1 year?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 27th 2010, 3:23 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Extending TWP

if the overall objective is to stay for more than one year, I recommend:
1. Get LMO
2. Use LMO to get a 1 year TWP
3. Use the same LMO to apply for the Federal Skilled Worker Program

Doing 2 and 3 at the same time will, effectively, allow you to stay longer than a year....
Old May 27th 2010, 8:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikkihawkins84
My husband's work permit expires in April 2011 and we are looking at our options with regards to staying longer. His employer has said that they are willing to apply for an extension to the TWP (with a positive LMO of course) but they keep saying it's only for a year. Is this correct? If so does anyone know of a way that we can extend it for more than 1 year?

Thanks in advance!
How long have you been in Canada on the TWP, and what job does your husband do?

It may well be that you can apply for PR, and would have that through before April 2011, so problem solved.

Old May 28th 2010, 8:12 am
Just Joined

nikkihawkins84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. My hunsband is a bus driver so we can't apply as skilled workers and it's not one of the semi-skilled categories on the AINP. We've been here since April 2009 and if we have to go back to England then we have to go back, but I was looking at options to extending our stay for as long as we can.
Old May 29th 2010, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

calgarybrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope that I am not quoted wrong but in the paper yesterday I read an article about bus drivers having to go home. Do you not have any skills in which makes yourself able to apply for work which an LMO would be given?
I went through the same stuff a couple of months ago but i am in a different field.

Good luck, I hope you get to stay.