Extending a TWP

Old Apr 26th 2009, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

coritani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extending a TWP

Hello,

I'm heading to New Brunswick at the beginning of May as a truck driver. I'll be obtaining my TWP on arrival at Halifax, Nova Scotia and the length of the TWP is more than likely going to be 12 months rather than 24.

My question is, how do you extend a work permit from 12 months to the maximum allowed length of 24 months, as I wont be able to apply for PNP until six months after my arrival and I may not hear back from that until after the original 12 months work permit expires. I've been told that I can just re-new my work permit on the border, which I'll be crossing all the time with work but I thought that I'd need a new LMO but I'm told that I wont need one for an extension, is this true?

I'm a bit confused over this. I know you obviously need an LMO for the original work permit but I've also read that anyone can now extent their work permit from 12 months to 24, if they didn't get issued a 24 months permit to begin with. I hate to think that a LMO would be refused 12 months down the line for an extension when everything with regard PNP/PR is applied for and so far along.

Thanks.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:36 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending a TWP

Hi

Here is a link to a recent thread that provides some more info

Good luck with your plans

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...permit+refused
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

It looks like a new LMO will be needed then. The one I was issued in March only took 4 days to be issued but who knows what the score will be in a year from then.

Another question....after six months and I've applied for PNP and PR and hear back before the 12 month work permit expires that PNP has been approved by New Brunswick, does that in itself give me the right to a work permit whilst the final decision on PR is taken? It seems a bit pointless to grant PNP status to someone on a work permit and then force them to leave after 12 months due to a negative LMO.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coritani
Hello,

I'm heading to New Brunswick at the beginning of May as a truck driver. I'll be obtaining my TWP on arrival at Halifax, Nova Scotia and the length of the TWP is more than likely going to be 12 months rather than 24.

My question is, how do you extend a work permit from 12 months to the maximum allowed length of 24 months, as I wont be able to apply for PNP until six months after my arrival and I may not hear back from that until after the original 12 months work permit expires. I've been told that I can just re-new my work permit on the border, which I'll be crossing all the time with work but I thought that I'd need a new LMO but I'm told that I wont need one for an extension, is this true?

I'm a bit confused over this. I know you obviously need an LMO for the original work permit but I've also read that anyone can now extent their work permit from 12 months to 24, if they didn't get issued a 24 months permit to begin with. I hate to think that a LMO would be refused 12 months down the line for an extension when everything with regard PNP/PR is applied for and so far along.

Thanks.

dont forget that once you have been nominated for PNP you no longer need and LMO just a a letter from the PNP folks ,at least I think this is the case?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:39 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
dont forget that once you have been nominated for PNP you no longer need and LMO just a a letter from the PNP folks ,at least I think this is the case?
Yup - I called them Friday and was informed that this is most definately the case. :0)
Old Apr 26th 2009, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thank God for that! Does this also apply for people who have applied for PNP via a work permit or just for those who apply whilst in the UK? or is there no difference?