Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Extending our stay - what are our options?

Extending our stay - what are our options?

Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice
Question Extending our stay - what are our options?

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice as I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by all the various visa and permit routes. Me and my girlfriend are currently living and working in Vancouver. We arrived November 1st 2008. I'm lucky enough to have dual citizenship but was born and grew up in the UK. My girlfriend is here on a work permit through Bunac that is valid until October 31st. We would both love to be able to extend our stay for up to another year. I've taken a brief look at sponsorship options and while this all seems possible, it looks like a long process with no guarantee of being approved before her work permit expires. Also, we weren't really planning on staying permanently, just an extra year.

So my question is, can anyone advise me on our options? Is it possible to extend her visa at all in certain conditions such as work? Can my citizenship and common-law partner status help in any way other than the option of sponsorship?

- Adam