Extending (Expired) Work Permit

Old Feb 8th 2013, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending (Expired) Work Permit

Well done, glad you got it sorted. And good advice for others!!!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mikey_c_9
Hopefully my experience shows people that it's probably a good idea to apply for your WP extensions WAY before your current one expires (at least a month or two I would say), just in case you run in to any problems like I did (Website crashing, BC PNP taking ages to send support letter, wrong expiry date written in your diary - oops...)
I think the provincial immigration offices (BCPNP, ONPNP etc) should give approved applicants a lot more support with things like this - chase CIC on their behalf, maintain constant contact with and maybe even have a case worker assigned to applicants. They get paid enough.

Edit: Well done on getting it sorted!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Or people could read this bit

If you wish to extend your status date, you should apply 30 days before your status expires in order to do any of the following:
•extend your visitor, student or work status
•change the type of permit you hold (for example, from a student to a work permit)
•change a condition of your permit (for example, if you are studying and you want to change schools, or if you are working and your want to change jobs)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
Old Feb 8th 2013, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

If you wish to extend your status date, you should apply 30 days before your status expires in order to do any of the following:
•change the type of permit you hold (for example, from a student to a work permit)
•change a condition of your permit (for example, if you are studying and you want to change schools, or if you are working and your want to change jobs)
Yes he left it late but in all fairness he (for whatever reason) thought his WP expires on Feb 14th and he applied for the updated letter on Jan 22nd. That is just under a month and if his WP really would have expired on Feb 14th he'd been fine. Things like this happen.

And yes the provincial immigration offices should offer more support. And it shouldn't take that long for the updated letter and the Nominee shouldn't have to chase it up. But again things like this happen.

It's great that the OP got it sorted! And maybe advice to others to apply for an extension maybe 2 or 3 months before the WP expires just to be on the safe side.

that PR comes through soon!!!!!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

mikey_c_9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Oi cheeky!

In all seriousness - I thought all I needed was the BC PNP letter - and as mentioned started that ball rolling Jan 22nd.

I had no idea it would take that long - but should have known better.

A simple email from CIC saying - your visa is due to expire in 2 months or something would have been great - and surely not that hard to implement.

Now I can work legally again, I might offer to rebuild their website properly

P.S. Thanks to everyone for the support / info during my freak out!!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Oi cheeky!

In all seriousness - I thought all I needed was the BC PNP letter - and as mentioned started that ball rolling Jan 22nd.

I had no idea it would take that long - but should have known better.

A simple email from CIC saying - your visa is due to expire in 2 months or something would have been great - and surely not that hard to implement.

Now I can work legally again, I might offer to rebuild their website properly
Please please offer to do that as us CBSA officers even find it hard to figure out what CIC are actually saying.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Or apply for a bridging open work permit, which can be applied for when your work permit is running out in the next 4 months (provided you meet the criteria).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2012-12-17.asp and
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2012/ob485.asp

".. Qualifying foreign nationals currently in Canada who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) or the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) may be considered for an open work permit if their current work permit will soon expire.

To be eligible for a bridging open work permit, the applicants must:

Currently be in Canada;
Have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within 4 months;
Have received confirmation from CIC that their permanent resident application is eligible under one of the four Economic Classes (FSWP, CEC, PNP and FSTP), and;
Have made an application for an open work permit ..."
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie
Or apply for a bridging open work permit, which can be applied for when your work permit is running out in the next 4 months (provided you meet the criteria).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2012-12-17.asp and
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2012/ob485.asp

".. Qualifying foreign nationals currently in Canada who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) or the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) may be considered for an open work permit if their current work permit will soon expire.

To be eligible for a bridging open work permit, the applicants must:

Currently be in Canada;
Have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within 4 months;
Have received confirmation from CIC that their permanent resident application is eligible under one of the four Economic Classes (FSWP, CEC, PNP and FSTP), and;
Have made an application for an open work permit ..."
Where were you 2 months ago?

Funny how CIC / BC PNP didn't let me know about this when I called them to ask about my options.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 7:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how CIC / BC PNP didn't let me know about this when I called them to ask about my options.
sorry

You have to bear in mind that CIC call centre really don't know much about current policy or the latest procedures available.

I do think that this particular bulletin could have been better advertised though!

I've added it to the Wiki

(Glad you got your WP anyway!)

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 8th 2013 at 7:40 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

kirbyking46 is an unknown quantity at this point

Phew! I'm sure you're still recovering! that really was very close. Very happy for you for sorting it out. It does show that CBSA officers are as human as all of us. I suppose when you are in this 'business' documents/files must be checked half yearly at least!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:05 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Because it didn't become available until December 16th.

The reason CIC doesn't send out gentle reminders that your visitor/student/work permit is expiring is that in 2011 1,376,369 were issued.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Because it didn't become available until December 16th.

The reason CIC doesn't send out gentle reminders that your visitor/student/work permit is expiring is that in 2011 1,376,369 were issued.
Not all on the same day though? Even a dated email engine will push out 200,000 emails in a couple hours..
Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:04 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's too much to ask people to look after their own affairs if i'm honest. CIC is not your mother (and this is coming from someone who also buggered up the date on a visa).

My fault, pure and simple, not CIC's, not the computers, not the call centres but mine.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:41 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I don't think it's too much to ask people to look after their own affairs if i'm honest. CIC is not your mother (and this is coming from someone who also buggered up the date on a visa).

My fault, pure and simple, not CIC's, not the computers, not the call centres but mine.
Too true Mandy! Nobody sets my alarm for the morning but me!