Extending (Expired) Work Permit

Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

mikey_c_9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extending (Expired) Work Permit

Hey Guys,

I posted something similar to this in the Ottawa processing thread, but this goes in to more detail - sorry to the admins if this isn't allowed but I'm after some speedy advice -I am frantically sourcing as much info today as possible to see what my options are and time isn't on my side. I need to take action today, ASAP.

Let me explain:

I am an accepted applicant for BC PNP (from 2011), going through PR (completed medicals in 2012 etc..) and I needed to extend my WP -- I was told just a letter from BC PNP would suffice to apply online.

I have been VERY organized throughout the entire immigration process and have every piece of documentation all filled away nicely - all forms perfectly filled in, triple-checked etc..

So, with just under a month to spare (or so I thought) I contacted BC PNP on Jan 22 to ask for my updated acceptance letter -- no response for around 10 days -- so I chased them up 3-4 times until eventually on Feb 1 they asked me to provide last 2 pay stubs. I sent them immediately and eventually received my updated letter (PDF) on Feb 2 by email - (BTW: I have proof of all the emails sent).

With the PDF letter in my inbox, I attempted to apply online (as advised by CIC) every day last week and each time the website crashed - (I have screenshots of this, and I'm sure they have error logs of the server crashes).

Last night the website was working long enough for me to apply -- After the initial online application (fairly confusing, having to enter spouse info in the family member section, only having the option to apply for an "Open permit" or "other"), I finally got to the section that listed the documents I needed to provide -- Employment history, Common law declaration, Passport copies (every stamped page), permit copy, job offer letter, the works... just to be able extend my permit? Nothing has changed, plus they would have all this info already.

Not a huge deal, just a little time consuming scanning everything in again, I gather all of the documents they listed, fill in all the PDF forms etc.. -- and just as I scan my WP, I notice -- Expiry date is Feb 5th - CRAP (I put in my calendar "Visa Expires Feb 14" - I got confused with my job start date which was Feb 14). So, it wouldn't let me submit the online extension as its showing an error with the Application form PDF - ERROR: The Work Permit expiry date is before today's date.

What a mess!

I just called CIC to explain the technical issues and asked what my options are -- and the nice lady says: "not to worry, as long as it's within 90 days of expiry you can just mail in the application - include a letter/proof explaining the situation - but you will have to do a restoration as well. What's your email address? I will send you the details of where to mail the application." - I say OK thanks, that's a relief.

I literally just received the email from her showing me where to send the application and it states in the email: Please note that you must stop working right away and wait until you get additional instructions. - DOUBLE CRAP!

The reason I went past my expiry date was due to Technical difficulties & Slow response from BC PNP, I know I am to blame too as I had Feb 14 in my calendar for my expiry date, but I did TRY and apply before the 5th on multiple occasions - and I have proof of that.

Can I do anything else to retain my status at this point?

Would it be wise to drive to the border tonight and show them the proof?

Any help or advice will be very much appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to this!!!!

- Mike
Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:13 am
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending (Expired) Work Permit

If you've been told to stop working then you need to do that. Not worth the risk, I'm sure someone else will be along with some more advice but in the meantime do what it said in the email.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice Tigger1 - yeah I have told my boss the situation and I am now not working until I can figure this out.

Just waiting for a call back from BC PNP - Hopefully they can provide a letter of some sorts to back up my story so I can flag-pole tonight - and hopefully have a nice officer who understands my situation...

A long shot I know - and pretty risky - but not sure I have many other options apart from applying by mail - and not working for the next 90 days - they say it's taking up to 88 days to get a decision on Permit's.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:17 am
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you do the flag pole make sure you have lots and lots of information about everything! My OH went to get his WP extended (he was LMO exempt at the time) and the guy at the border refused it and said he needed to come back in a week with almost triple the paperwork he had taken with him... Better safe than sorry!

Good luck!
Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tigger1
If you do the flag pole make sure you have lots and lots of information about everything! My OH went to get his WP extended (he was LMO exempt at the time) and the guy at the border refused it and said he needed to come back in a week with almost triple the paperwork he had taken with him... Better safe than sorry!

Good luck!
Yep, we have absolutely everything we could possibly need - still have it all from our PR application so it should be fine....fingers crossed (I hate the uncertainty of who we may get as an officer, please be nice!).
Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

What work permit was the original one that ran out?

I thought unless it was an IEC you were under implied status and could work until decision or PNP was completed?

But then if they are saying you have to stop working I wouldn't go against that.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

Even if you decide to go to the border, you might want to think about applying for restoration of status too. You still can't work (It only gives you visitor status) but at least it shows that you are trying to remain in Canada legally and not just overstaying.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
What work permit was the original one that ran out?

I thought unless it was an IEC you were under implied status and could work until decision or PNP was completed?

But then if they are saying you have to stop working I wouldn't go against that.
My Work permit was a 2-year (employer specific) permit via an LMO exempt BCIT route (which no longer exists - I think).

You only get implied status if you apply for the extension BEFORE it expires - which I thought I was doing until I saw the mix up of date I had in my Diary vs date on my visa.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey_c_9
My Work permit was a 2-year (employer specific) permit via an LMO exempt BCIT route (which no longer exists - I think).

You only get implied status if you apply for the extension BEFORE it expires - which I thought I was doing until I saw the mix up of date I had in my Diary vs date on my visa.
Ah I see....

Hope you get it sorted
Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrWindUpBird
Even if you decide to go to the border, you might want to think about applying for restoration of status too. You still can't work (It only gives you visitor status) but at least it shows that you are trying to remain in Canada legally and not just overstaying.
Yeah - I think that's the likely outcome..

Just double-check - I can apply for my restoration at the border, can't I?

Last edited by mikey_c_9; Feb 7th 2013 at 9:33 am.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

MrWindUpBird is on a distinguished road

Yeah - I think that's the likely outcome..

Just double-check - I can apply for my restoration at the border, can't I?
I don't think you can. At the border, you've already left Canada so you have no status to restore. Probably best to do so online, if the website's behaving...
Old Feb 7th 2013, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrWindUpBird
I don't think you can. At the border, you've already left Canada so you have no status to restore. Probably best to do so online, if the website's behaving...
Thanks, going to restore status online right now then head down and try to persuade them I did TRY and extend my permit in time, but I had the wrong expiry in my diary and in emails to BC PNP and that the website wasn't working (screen shots of server error).

Huge long shot, hopefully I get the permit, if not I'm going to be eating lean for a few months...
Old Feb 7th 2013, 10:26 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, going to restore status online right now then head down and try to persuade them I did TRY and extend my permit in time, but I had the wrong expiry in my diary and in emails to BC PNP and that the website wasn't working (screen shots of server error).

Huge long shot, hopefully I get the permit, if not I'm going to be eating lean for a few months...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/ip06-eng.pdf section 5:8

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 7th 2013 at 10:37 am.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you've got a valid work permit when PR comes through unless you didn't have to have a job for the BC PNP. Just know the Ontario PNP. Good luck at the border!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Just to let everyone know - I managed to get a new Work Permit at the border last night.

I went down full loaded with paper work to prove everything, and that it was a genuine mishap.

In the end I didn't need to show anything apart from my job offer / contract and quickly explained my situation. The border official was great - and I am so happy and relived now.

Yesterday was so stressful and expensive ($1700 in total for 2 WP's!) - I had to pay for my online restoration and visa's TWICE ($1400), because the site crashed again, and it didn't register the first payment in the application (but took my funds!) so had to pay again. Then obviously the $300 for the new WP's at the border.

Hopefully my experience shows people that it's probably a good idea to apply for your WP extensions WAY before your current one expires (at least a month or two I would say), just in case you run in to any problems like I did (Website crashing, BC PNP taking ages to send support letter, wrong expiry date written in your diary - oops...)

I can see this happening to others with the current backlog of Ottawa PR applications.

Roll on PPR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.