Extending Bunac Visa via LMO??

Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:02 am
Just Joined

AndyV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extending Bunac Visa via LMO??

Hey People

Ive been over in Vancouver now for 8months and am wanting to extend my Bunac work Visa. Ive been searching the web and was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

Im guessing it is possible to extend my stay under a holiday visa for 3months or so but this will mean i cant work....is that right???

And secondly, i am currently working in the commercial film industry as a Production PA. The problem is i work with many different production companies depending on the commerical being film. So im more freelance then anything. Im contracted to noone. However, one of the production companies said they'd sponsor me so i could stay longer but is this possible??? and how would i do it???

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Andy
Old Aug 29th 2010, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

garethnock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Extending Bunac Visa via LMO??

hi - I am no expert but I also tried to extend my stay after BUNAC earlier in the year.
You can apply directly for a visitor visa - so you do not have to leave after BUNAC visa expires but you can not work.

You can also research getting a LMO - (but a long wait i hear and npt easy to do) the other way of applying is to try and get a AEO - arranging for your company to stat to the goverment (the is a specific form to fill in) that you will be employed permenently after your bunac expires and you may get granted a working visa - reserach AEO on CIC website.
But as your work is more ''casuel'' you may not have any luck (my work was also casuel at the time and my application for AEO was rejected based on that fact, even though I had worked and average of 35 hours a week for 6 month)
Hope that might help you out

G
Old Aug 29th 2010, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyV
Hey People

Ive been over in Vancouver now for 8months and am wanting to extend my Bunac work Visa. Ive been searching the web and was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

Im guessing it is possible to extend my stay under a holiday visa for 3months or so but this will mean i cant work....is that right???

And secondly, i am currently working in the commercial film industry as a Production PA. The problem is i work with many different production companies depending on the commerical being film. So im more freelance then anything. Im contracted to noone. However, one of the production companies said they'd sponsor me so i could stay longer but is this possible??? and how would i do it???

Thanks Andy
how did u get work in film, i'm hoping to get work in casting for tv/film. u on student or non student visa. I was thinking i could reapply for the non-student visa as going over on the student one in november
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Checkmate is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey People

Thanks Andy
LMO Can be quite quick. For me the LMO took about four weeks and the subsequent visa took about the same length of time. This was between March and June of this year.
Talk to someone in HR, and they will be able to do it. The CIC / HRSDC website has the standard form for the LMO, so download it and lok through it before presenting it to your emplyer.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 3:58 am
Just Joined

AndyV is an unknown quantity at this point

So my question is who would be the best person to speak to get my question asked or push an extended work permit along. As a freelance production assistant i work with many different production companies and so have no contract with anyone. However i have one production company saying they would sponsor me if it helps me work over in vancouver for longer but is this at all possible either via LMO or any other. Or do i need to be in a contract working with one company. (even though over the last 6 months im gonna average hours like a full time worker). What i dont want to do is go to all the trouble if the chances are very slim in getting an extended visa. Thanks to all that has helped on this subject so far.....much appreciated!
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 4:51 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

So my question is who would be the best person to speak to get my question asked or push an extended work permit along. As a freelance production assistant i work with many different production companies and so have no contract with anyone. However i have one production company saying they would sponsor me if it helps me work over in vancouver for longer but is this at all possible either via LMO or any other. Or do i need to be in a contract working with one company. (even though over the last 6 months im gonna average hours like a full time worker). What i dont want to do is go to all the trouble if the chances are very slim in getting an extended visa. Thanks to all that has helped on this subject so far.....much appreciated!
The LMO would be limited to 1 employer.