Extended Job Hunting Recce?

Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

BC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant future
Default Extended Job Hunting Recce?

Hi,

I'd like to get your thoughts, advice or suggestions on something we're considering doing. As it seems near on impossible for us to find a job while we're here in the UK, we're considering selling our house, putting our possessions into storage and coming out on a six month visitor visa to look for a job. Obviously we realise that this would be a big risk, as if it didn't work out then we'd have nothing but a few possessions (and our dog!) to come back to, but hopefully this would give us a better chance of finding something.

Has anyone done this or do you know of anyone that has done it and it's worked out or not? Do you think we're completely mad? Should we just be more patient and hope that something will turn up in the new year? We've visited twice so far, the last recce in May of this year specifically to search for jobs.

Just to clarify, we don't currently have PR visa's. We're hoping to find a job with a company that would support us through a PNP application or TWP. Hubby's job is currently in Transport/Logistics Management, though he's previously done long haul & short haul truck driving. I work as a despatch supervisor, though I have around nine years of experience in the administration/clerical field having previously worked as a transport administrator, childrens nursery administrator and receptionist.

Gut instincts are telling us that to get anywhere we need to be there, as anyone who has made the move to Canada will know only too well. Networking is pretty difficult to do when you're not even in the same country.

Cheers
BC-Roo
Old Nov 15th 2009, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extended Job Hunting Recce?

We have our house on the market now, although we have applied under the old system for PR, should have had our update letter by now but hey ho we have to wait for the lovely people at CIC to get of there bottoms and post it to us AOR April 07

We are planing a similar thing only going on holiday first we won't stay for 6 months though as OH wants to hang onto his job if he can until we actually move there, He is IT so slightly different in he doesn't need an LMO just a WP at port of entry if needed rather than wait for it to come by post ?

Also have an 8 year old to consider
I know others on here have done just what you are talking about, Chumly has,
I know people on here have managed to extend there visitors visa as well ? look her up on the search button at the top ( blue bar )

The thing that would worry me most is the time it takes for an LMO to be processed, i assume you will need one, sure others will be along to help more later,

Good luck and let us know how you get on
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:33 am
Officially Expats!!!

maxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to allmaxrevs is a name known to all

Hi,

Don't do it. Seriously.

We came over to BC two years ago. In a nutshell, we couldn't stand the thought of waiting 4 years for the PR application to run its course, so we looked at ways to get over here and "hope for the best". Because my Wife and I both come from Government work, we realised we would have to retrain. So we took a huge gamble, quit our (very well paid) jobs, sold the house etc. etc. and came over on a study permit.

For the first six months neither of us could work. Do not underestimate how expensive it is to start afresh in a new country - especially if you're thinking of leaving your goods in storage. Canada, certainly the big cities (where you'd really need to be to maximise the chances of finding work) is not much cheaper than the UK. Sure, some things are but there's a lot that isn't.

On the work front things are tricky as well. As you've already found out getting a job in Canada is more about who you know. Many jobs are not advertised and personal recommendation is extremely important. The problem is that to get a TWP you need a positive LMO. This costs the employer in both time and money. LMO's can take months and months to process which a lot of employers are not willing to wait for - after all most need the position filled now, not in 6 months time. On a different note experience really counts for little over here. Qualifications (Canadian of course) count for everything. UK diplomas/degrees are not always deemed equivalent to the Canadian qualifications.

Finally, you can expect to work your way back up the ladder. Starting wages can be as low as $10 an hour (depending on where you are) and generally don't come with any paid leave and definitely no benefits (medical/dental).

Sorry if this is all a bit of doom and gloom. I'm sure others will disagree with me but from our experience, having done it first hand, it is not what we had hoped for. You're considering taking a huge risk and I think it's only fair to point out the potential pitfalls. We're currently waiting for a decision from CHC and there's every chance that we'll be rejected and have to return to the UK.

Best of luck with whatever you decide

(If you're looking at Vancouver/Victoria feel free to PM me, I might be able to help further and you never know who I'll bump into)
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BC-Roo
Hi,

I'd like to get your thoughts, advice or suggestions on something we're considering doing. As it seems near on impossible for us to find a job while we're here in the UK, we're considering selling our house, putting our possessions into storage and coming out on a six month visitor visa to look for a job. Obviously we realise that this would be a big risk, as if it didn't work out then we'd have nothing but a few possessions (and our dog!) to come back to, but hopefully this would give us a better chance of finding something.

Has anyone done this or do you know of anyone that has done it and it's worked out or not? Do you think we're completely mad? Should we just be more patient and hope that something will turn up in the new year? We've visited twice so far, the last recce in May of this year specifically to search for jobs.

Just to clarify, we don't currently have PR visa's. We're hoping to find a job with a company that would support us through a PNP application or TWP. Hubby's job is currently in Transport/Logistics Management, though he's previously done long haul & short haul truck driving. I work as a despatch supervisor, though I have around nine years of experience in the administration/clerical field having previously worked as a transport administrator, childrens nursery administrator and receptionist.

Gut instincts are telling us that to get anywhere we need to be there, as anyone who has made the move to Canada will know only too well. Networking is pretty difficult to do when you're not even in the same country.

Cheers
BC-Roo
Firstly, I assume you've read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki? Which will tell you how to go about getting a job in Canada whilst still in the UK.

And just had to add that you need to bear in mind that LMO's can take up to 6 months, so you may well have to return to the UK whilst awaiting your LMO in any event, even if you find a job straight away you may run out of time. Plus of course, bear in mind you won't be eligible for any benefits whilst there i.e. healthcare, so make sure you have really good travel insurance.

Having said that, if you have no dependents and have the disposable cash to spend 6 months or so out there without an income, then it could be worth a shot.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

BC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant future

Coffeepot, Maxrevs & Christmasoompa, thanks for your replies.

Well that's why I posted the thread, to get any views, tips or advice whether it be positive or negative. If we do decide to try this then we want our eyes open as wide as possible no rose tinted glasses here!

Coffeepot, best of luck on selling the house and thanks for the tip re Chumly, I'll be contacting her thanks.

Maxrevs, It's good to here from someone that's been there and done it. We've already taken your very valid points into consideration, we know that if we do this then it won't be easy. Best of luck to you too, I hope the decision from CHC is a positive one.

Christmasoompa, Thanks yes we have read the wiki article re searching for jobs from the UK and we've already thought about travel insurance as we know we wouldn't be entitled to any medical help whilst we're visiting. I've read that some employers (some trucking companies for instance) have pre arranged LMO's, would you have any idea how long it would take to get a TWP if OH were able to get a job offer from one of these companies?

It would be great to hear of anyone elses experiences if they've tried doing this.

Thanks
BC-Roo
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

stephy is an unknown quantity at this point

We are going to do the same thing. next year Aug we are all flying to Vanc and take our chances. My parents ( naturalized canadians) will support us all the way while looking for a job up to the processing of whatever application regarding immigration. Our cashflow is not really good here in the UK so atleast in canada i got my parents on the side.
Many oprtions I am considering like being a student too so I can get a Canadian qualification only at my age (40) & experiences all I want is to work and lookafter my3 kids future. but let us hope for the best.
Hi,

Cheers
BC-Roo
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stephy
We are going to do the same thing. next year Aug we are all flying to Vanc and take our chances. My parents ( naturalized canadians) will support us all the way while looking for a job up to the processing of whatever application regarding immigration. Our cashflow is not really good here in the UK so atleast in canada i got my parents on the side.
Many oprtions I am considering like being a student too so I can get a Canadian qualification only at my age (40) & experiences all I want is to work and lookafter my3 kids future. but let us hope for the best.

Good luck stephy, I hope it works out You're lucky to be able to have your parents support when you get there. Keep us updated
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

stephy is an unknown quantity at this point

Gush I will need all the Luck in the world. Better to go on now with this moving while kids are still young.Will just pretend we are on a long holiday.Goodluck to you too.I will inform BE on any development or changes of plan so everyone can get some tips & infos.
Good luck stephy, I hope it works out You're lucky to be able to have your parents support when you get there. Keep us updated