Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

extend my stay in canada..what would u write??

extend my stay in canada..what would u write??

Old Dec 16th 2009, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

staceyw82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default extend my stay in canada..what would u write??

Ok folks so my bunac visa runs out in Feb 10, i'm currently filling in the forms to extend my stay here so i can work, while i apply for a common law PM. It asks me my reasons for extending my stay here, should i state that it is so i am still able to work here while applying for PM or has anyone any other suggestions?? I have a full time job on contract that i love and a canadian citizen for a boyfriend, who i met in belfast and have been with for 3 yrs We have lived together in N.Ireland for 6 bmonths and 9 months here so far. Is this way the best way for me to apply for PM??
Really need your help expats!
Thanks
Stacey

oh and merry christmas to you all!!
Old Dec 16th 2009, 5:04 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: extend my stay in canada..what would u write??

Hi

Originally Posted by staceyw82
Ok folks so my bunac visa runs out in Feb 10, i'm currently filling in the forms to extend my stay here so i can work, while i apply for a common law PM. It asks me my reasons for extending my stay here, should i state that it is so i am still able to work here while applying for PM or has anyone any other suggestions?? I have a full time job on contract that i love and a canadian citizen for a boyfriend, who i met in belfast and have been with for 3 yrs We have lived together in N.Ireland for 6 bmonths and 9 months here so far. Is this way the best way for me to apply for PM??
Really need your help expats!
Thanks
Stacey

oh and merry christmas to you all!!
1. Do you have an LMO? to extend your work permit, if not you really can't apply for an extension. Working until you get your PR is a no go.
2. If you have been living together for a year, assuming that the 6 months and 9 months are continuous, you can apply as common law, as long as you can prove that " have merged your lifes"
3. If you are common/law you probably should think about an "out of Canada" spousal through London. You can be in Canada as long as you have legal status, and still have the application processed in London. Although you won't be able to work without an approved work permit until you get your PR.
4. Only one real problem, is if an interview is required it will be in London.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

so how do i go about getting an LMO?? I'm on contract at my current work place, what do i have to get them to do??
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

oh and why does it not say on the visa applications about having to have an LMO when applying for an extension??
Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:35 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

oh and why does it not say on the visa applications about having to have an LMO when applying for an extension??
Read your BUNAC visa - it says something along the lines of can not be extended.

What you can do is apply for a change of status - ie a new visa as either (a) a visitor or (b) Temporary worker (ie job offer & LMO required)
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

so how do i go about getting an LMO?? I'm on contract at my current work place, what do i have to get them to do??
You don't get the LMO, your employer has to apply for it. They need to advertise the job across Canada (for minimum of 2 weeks), and then prove no suitable Canadian has applied (showing who applied and why they weren't offered the job).

And I'd get your boyf to apply for spousal sponsorship asap, if you apply outland it can be as quick as 2 or 3 months (norm is 3-6 months), so you'll get it through quite quickly if there are no problems.

Good luck.