Express Entry Visa

Old Oct 7th 2019, 4:37 am
Just Joined

ashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Express Entry Visa

Hello,

I am looking at getting into Canada using the express entry visa process and as I am a teacher, I should face a good chance of getting decent points, however I actually don’t want to teach upon arrival to Canada, and want to work in Human Resources (another job I have previously had but have no formal qualifications in). If I get offered a job I get more points but my question is; can I apply for a visa under the premise of my teaching qualifications and then get a job offer not in teaching that would count towards my express entry? Or would I need a job offer from a school?
Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express Entry Visa

I cannot answer your question, but you should realise that your chance of getting a teaching job in Canada is pretty slim unless you happen to teach a subject that is in great demand, eg French or Special needs.

Even Canadian trained teachers find it very difficult to get a permanent position out of university, most spend years on the Teacher On Call list, ie substitute teaching. Plus the teacher's unions are incredibly strong, and time in the union counts for everything.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 7:09 am
Just Joined

ashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond reputeashleywhite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I cannot answer your question, but you should realise that your chance of getting a teaching job in Canada is pretty slim unless you happen to teach a subject that is in great demand, eg French or Special needs.

Even Canadian trained teachers find it very difficult to get a permanent position out of university, most spend years on the Teacher On Call list, ie substitute teaching. Plus the teacher's unions are incredibly strong, and time in the union counts for everything.
That’s really interesting. Where in Canada are you based? The impression I’m getting in BC (I’m visiting at the moment), is that they are desperate for teachers. Seems weird to be on the express entry list if there are no jobs 🤔
Old Oct 7th 2019, 12:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ashleywhite
That’s really interesting. Where in Canada are you based? The impression I’m getting in BC (I’m visiting at the moment), is that they are desperate for teachers. Seems weird to be on the express entry list if there are no jobs � ����
Not sure what list you're referring to? There's no list of occupations in demand. This Wiki article has more info about teaching in Canada - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada

What are you scoring on the CRS without a job offer?

I am looking at getting into Canada using the express entry visa process and as I am a teacher, I should face a good chance of getting decent points, however I actually don’t want to teach upon arrival to Canada, and want to work in Human Resources (another job I have previously had but have no formal qualifications in). If I get offered a job I get more points but my question is; can I apply for a visa under the premise of my teaching qualifications and then get a job offer not in teaching that would count towards my express entry? Or would I need a job offer from a school?
Any eligible job offer is fine, it doesn't have to be in the same field as you are currently working or applying under. But bear in mind that for it to count for points, you'll need a job offer and LMIA - for the LMIA the employer has to prove that there isn't a Canadian eligible or willing, to do the job. So you will need experience and qualifications in the job usually, otherwise the LMIA is likely to be refused, as you wouldn't be more qualified than any Canadian that applies.

HTH, good luck.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your help! 😁

I have been looking on the express entry list. It’s the occupations in category 0 A or B which will allow express entry to Canada and teaching is an A category profession.
The express entry visa allows you to get into a pool of candidates which are selected from each year and then you then get more points after you are in that pool if you can secure a job offer. I wondered if the employers needed to adhere to the same regulations as they do when sponsoring a person via a different visa in terms of job offers, as I am already in the pool?

It sounds like it’s a good idea that I don’t really want to go into teaching in Canada. What a strange system. I just hope my qualifications can just get me through the door!
Old Oct 7th 2019, 2:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have been looking on the express entry list. It’s the occupations in category 0 A or B which will allow express entry to Canada and teaching is an A category profession.
Ah, I see, it's the NOC list you are referring to - that's literally thousands and thousands of jobs though, inclusion on that list doesn't mean it's in demand at all. It just means it's not a low skilled job.

The express entry visa allows you to get into a pool of candidates which are selected from each year and then you then get more points after you are in that pool if you can secure a job offer. I wondered if the employers needed to adhere to the same regulations as they do when sponsoring a person via a different visa in terms of job offers, as I am already in the pool?
Yes, they do. A qualifying job offer is one with a LMIA, so it's exactly the same process as if they wanted to hire you on a Temp Work Permit. If you just have a job offer and no LMIA, then it's not worth anything in terms of points.

It sounds like it’s a good idea that I don’t really want to go into teaching in Canada. What a strange system. I just hope my qualifications can just get me through the door!
They'll certainly help, along with other factors for points like your age, years of work experience, links to Canada etc. What is your CRS score at the moment?

Old Oct 7th 2019, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Ah, ok. Thanks for your help. I actually can’t remember what my score was. I’m 32 with a masters degree, English as first language, 5 years teaching experience and have family in Canada, so scored quite well if I remember rightly. It’s just the points are huge for a job offer. It’s going to be pretty tough to secure a job offer of more than 1 year though, it seems...
Old Oct 7th 2019, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

My score was 484. So actually not that great!
Old Oct 7th 2019, 3:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

My score was 484. So actually not that great!
484 is a good score, and enough to get you an ITA going on recent scores - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-previous.html. So if you're in the pool with that points score, you can expect an ITA in the next round of invitations.

You mention family in Canada, I assume with that score it's a brother or sister?
Old Oct 7th 2019, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Oh, that’s super helpful! So I probably don’t need to worry about a job offer until I get here then.
Yes, I have two sisters and a brother in Canada.

Another question; my partner and I have been together 10 years but not married. Can he still be considered my “spouse” when he applies? Also, will he apply separately or under my application?

You have been so helpful. Thanks so much.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 4:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Another question; my partner and I have been together 10 years but not married. Can he still be considered my “spouse” when he applies? Also, will he apply separately or under my application?
Depends. Personal question I know, but do you live together? If you've lived together for a year or more as husband and wife (and can prove it, via things like joint tenancy agreement, joint bank account etc), then he would go on your application as your common-law spouse and get PR with you. Note that if that is the case, he MUST go on your application, or you won't be able to sponsor him in the future.

If you've not lived together, then he'll need to qualify for a visa on his own merits.

HTH.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 4:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Depends. Personal question I know, but do you live together? If you've lived together for a year or more as husband and wife (and can prove it, via things like joint tenancy agreement, joint bank account etc), then he would go on your application as your common-law spouse and get PR with you. Note that if that is the case, he MUST go on your application, or you won't be able to sponsor him in the future.

If you've not lived together, then he'll need to qualify for a visa on his own merits.

HTH.
Or, they'll need to get married before the OP makes her application.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

I have been informed by people who came here before me, registered doctors, nurses and a teacher, that hear all these stories about being in demand, and land and they have to jump through all kinds of hoops,
despite being qualified and coming out of uni and practices in some cases, then having to have "Canadian" experience and or more courses, in some cases have been told they need to do internships, and all kinds of stuff, I DO UNDERSTAND people need to conform to Canadian standards, but I know of 2 people one a registered qualified nurse, who had it so hard gave up and was asked to do this, then that, and it all costs, she could not get registered here so had to resort to being a receptionist ! In some cases it's a money grab. Also I heard that a couple of people went to the US first, then came via there as they where then from the NA they had a better time in Canada. I have a similar experience despite being a brit have proper credentials I had and still am having a hard time. Seriously my UK education really meant nothing OR so it felt like.
just IMHO
Old Oct 7th 2019, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adrianj
I have been informed by people who came here before me, registered doctors, nurses and a teacher, that hear all these stories about being in demand, and land and they have to jump through all kinds of hoops,
despite being qualified and coming out of uni and practices in some cases, then having to have "Canadian" experience and or more courses, in some cases have been told they need to do internships, and all kinds of stuff, I DO UNDERSTAND people need to conform to Canadian standards, but I know of 2 people one a registered qualified nurse, who had it so hard gave up and was asked to do this, then that, and it all costs, she could not get registered here so had to resort to being a receptionist ! In some cases it's a money grab. Also I heard that a couple of people went to the US first, then came via there as they where then from the NA they had a better time in Canada. I have a similar experience despite being a brit have proper credentials I had and still am having a hard time. Seriously my UK education really meant nothing OR so it felt like.
just IMHO
Do you think a Canadian or American wishing to relocate to the UK just walk into a job or do they perhaps have to meet certain criteria?
Old Oct 7th 2019, 5:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Just a gentle reminder folks, we try and keep threads in the immi section of the forum on topic. If you want a rant about Canadian equivalency and jobs etc, please start a new thread in the main forum and keep this section for visa related topics, thx.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.