British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Express Entry Scores and Progress Thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/express-entry-scores-progress-thread-850086/)

DigitalGhost Jan 6th 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Express Entry Scores and Progress Thread

A bit of a shot in the dark but does anyone know what the current 'should I bother' threshold is for CRS?

I completed the CRS last year and scored slightly higher but I hadn't been awarded my degree back then and couldn't file an application. Now my score is lower as I'm assuming the criteria must have changed in the meantime so I'm wondering if it is actually worth filing an application considering the expense involved in going through IELTS, WES etc.

Shakyuk Jan 6th 2017 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12144388)
A bit of a shot in the dark but does anyone know what the current 'should I bother' threshold is for CRS?

I completed the CRS last year and scored slightly higher but I hadn't been awarded my degree back then and couldn't file an application. Now my score is lower as I'm assuming the criteria must have changed in the meantime so I'm wondering if it is actually worth filing an application considering the expense involved in going through IELTS, WES etc.

If it was me and my score was above 450 I'd have a go. Below that I'd think more as we far as I'm aware the scores have never gone below that.

With regards to points calculation there's been changes to points awarded from job offers but as far as I know other than that nothing else has changed. What is your score? An online calculator will help you.

DigitalGhost Jan 6th 2017 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12144393)
If it was me and my score was above 450 I'd have a go. Below that I'd think more as we far as I'm aware the scores have never gone below that.

With regards to points calculation there's been changes to points awarded from job offers but as far as I know other than that nothing else has changed. What is your score? An online calculator will help you.

Thanks for the quick reply. I used the calculator here and I'm only scoring a 413 whereas I'm sure that when I tried it was over 500. It could just be my memory playing up though.

Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool - Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Annoyingly I do have a year of Canadian work experience that would bump my score up to 461 but part of that was through an agency that has since gone out of business so I have zero documentation to prove it. I managed to track down the guy who hired me via LinkedIn last year but he now works in a different province and I doubt he would be able to provide anything.

DigitalGhost Jan 6th 2017 4:04 pm

Incidentally, how does this part work on the application? As I don't fit into those categories but my OH possibly does and if it would help the cause then she could be the principal applicant. I didn't notice anything related to this on the CRS test.

http://i.imgur.com/OizaPnp.jpg

Shakyuk Jan 6th 2017 4:44 pm

A score of over 500 without a degree, job offer or provable Canadian work experience would be hard if not impossible to be honest.

413 isn't the lowest but the points have never been that low. Is that with assumed full English scores?

To claim experience in one of the professions I think you need over 30 hours+/week provable work experience for a number of weeks per year's (I can't remember the number of weeks) . But to be honest you're better checking the CIC website. If she gets you more points then I'd make her the primary.

That really sucks about the work experience. Maybe worth a shot though? I always think 'if you don't ask you don't get'!

DigitalGhost Jan 6th 2017 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12144457)
A score of over 500 without a degree, job offer or provable Canadian work experience would be hard if not impossible to be honest.

413 isn't the lowest but the points have never been that low. Is that with assumed full English scores?

To claim experience in one of the professions I think you need over 30 hours+/week provable work experience for a number of weeks per year's (I can't remember the number of weeks) . But to be honest you're better checking the CIC website. If she gets you more points then I'd make her the primary.

That really sucks about the work experience. Maybe worth a shot though? I always think 'if you don't ask you don't get'!

Sorry I should have mentioned that when I completed it last year I accounted for my degree. At that point I just had one exam to finish and the conferment to get through but I had technically already passed.

The 413 accounts for full IELTS scores for us both although if I did both IELTS and TEF then I could potentially bump it up slightly to a 435. I should be OK with the top scores but whilst my partner is absolutely fluent, English isn't her first language. She passed IELTS with a 7 over a decade ago and has only lived and worked in either the UK or Canada since then but even so I do like to prepare for the worst whenever I can.

I'm pretty sure that she would fit into NOC632 (she's a sous chef) but the points calculator doesn't ask anything regarding occupation. Just whether or not you have experience in 0, A, or B.

If I do claim for work experience then what would I need to provide if my application was drawn? Presumably that 30 hours per week has to be over the stretch of 12 months right? It can't be the equivalent of 30 hours completed within 10-11 months (e.g. if you worked a 35 hour week to make up the numbers).

The other possibility that I have considered is PNP for QC or NB but the QC one is a fiasco and although I scored a 77/100 on the NB test, I'm not really sure where to start on that one.

Snowy560 Jan 6th 2017 5:08 pm

No: extra hours over 30 pw can't make up for a length of time under 12 months.

Until you make a profile you can't really be sure what you'll get.
If you think it's 400+ I get yourself in the pool as soon as possible and look for ways to improve your score. If you're not in it you can't win it as they say.

S

DigitalGhost Jan 6th 2017 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12144483)
No: extra hours over 30 pw can't make up for a length of time under 12 months.

Until you make a profile you can't really be sure what you'll get.
If you think it's 400+ I get yourself in the pool as soon as possible and look for ways to improve your score. If you're not in it you can't win it as they say.

S

Shame because I could have applied off the back of that job. Unfortunately I was laid off 11 months into that position and so never quite passed the 12 month time frame although I was paid 1 month of severance.

I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons really. English tests and WES accreditation are expensive and if the selected numbers have never gone that low then it could be money down the drain. Incidentally, do you need to submit your GCSE certificates to them as well or is just a degree enough?

GMcD1983 Jan 7th 2017 9:01 pm

Hi all, my EE profile is showing 455 points when I should only have 423. Comparing it to the calculator, the issue is that it is giving me 119 instead of 112 for education, and 50 instead of 25 for Skills transferability - Education. I don't want to risk getting an invite with 455, because that won't be accurate. I can't work out why it is showing 455. I only have my degree listed under education (I deleted my BTEC National Diploma in case that was the problem because I don't get more points for that anyway), but it's still showing 455. Any ideas?

Snowy560 Jan 7th 2017 9:18 pm

Have you checked the ministerial instructions from 19 Nov? Some points allocation changed for transferability. Check to see if this applies in your case.

GMcD1983 Jan 7th 2017 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12145479)
Have you checked the ministerial instructions from 19 Nov? Some points allocation changed for transferability. Check to see if this applies in your case.

Hi Snowy, yes I checked that and there is nothing that would have affected my points that seems to have changed!

christmasoompa Jan 8th 2017 10:26 am

Originally Posted by GMcD1983 (Post 12145505)
Hi Snowy, yes I checked that and there is nothing that would have affected my points that seems to have changed!

What does your ECA say for education? It's obviously the education that it's giving you extra points for (both for the actual education points, but also for the skills transferability - the 50 points is for 2 or more post-secondary credentials), so it's counting your BTEC even if it you've deleted it it seems.

GMcD1983 Jan 8th 2017 10:33 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12145798)
What does your ECA say for education? It's obviously the education that it's giving you extra points for (both for the actual education points, but also for the skills transferability - the 50 points is for 2 or more post-secondary credentials), so it's counting your BTEC even if it you've deleted it it seems.

My ECA only includes my degree at the top in the summary section (my BTEC is included as a 2 year diploma in the breakdown on the ECA but not included at the top - it was because I included this in my application last time why my application was refused in August), so I definitely don't want to include any points for that this time. The only thing I can think of is start all over again and submit a new profile to add to the pool, which will take ages so would rather not, but what else can I do? Is there anyone to email about it?

Snowy560 Jan 8th 2017 3:52 pm

When did you update the profile?