Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Express Entry Scores and Progress Thread

Express Entry Scores and Progress Thread

Old Mar 23rd 2016, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express Entry Scores and Progress Thread

I've still got background check in progress on mine even though I got the passport request a few weeks ago. MyCIC hasn't shown any change compared to before I got the passport request.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 3:34 am
Just Joined

cagonzales is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScottyB
Quick update from me since I started the thread in 2015:

My first profile expired and I had to resubmit in Jan 2016 when doing so Ontario messaged me offering me to submit to them for Provincial nomination.

This was received by them yesterday and we now have the 90 day wait to see if we have secured the additional 600 points which should get us an ITA.

We dropped below 400 points in Feb as I turned 40 so my wife had her Main language assessed and secured 14 points and we are also waiting on WES assessing her Quals which will add a few more points.

Our score needs to remain above 400 when the Ontario submission is being reviewed.

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Regards

Scott
Hi Scott,
fingers crossed for you, something would happen soon. How long from submitting a new profile to when ontario invited you to apply to them? What was your score at the time of invitation?
Did you state them as preferred province before the invited you?

On another note, why do you want to move from Australia to Canada? What was your experience of Australia?�
I'm a british nurse and hubby and I have been thinking of migration to canada for a while, however, we attended a dual migration seminar where we heard both presentations for Australia and Canada so now we are confused about which way to go. I've heard Australia is expensive to live in... I suppose we could try one out first and move later if not happy with choice but with 2 kids under 5 years I would rather make the right choice first round.

We are supper confused, would appreciate any insight into your experience of Australia and why you have decided to move to canada.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

ScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cagonzales
Hi Scott,
fingers crossed for you, something would happen soon. How long from submitting a new profile to when ontario invited you to apply to them? What was your score at the time of invitation?
Did you state them as preferred province before the invited you?

On another note, why do you want to move from Australia to Canada? What was your experience of Australia?�
I'm a british nurse and hubby and I have been thinking of migration to canada for a while, however, we attended a dual migration seminar where we heard both presentations for Australia and Canada so now we are confused about which way to go. I've heard Australia is expensive to live in... I suppose we could try one out first and move later if not happy with choice but with 2 kids under 5 years I would rather make the right choice first round.

We are supper confused, would appreciate any insight into your experience of Australia and why you have decided to move to canada.
Hi cagonzales,

I had an invite from Ontario within 4 days of my new profile being processed. I nominated all provinces. Score at time of nomination was only 404 so never going to qualify for an ITA looking at the recent figures being invited.

Australia is great we have been here for 5 years and would highly recommend it.

Yes it is extremely expensive, we live in Perth which is right up there with being one of the most expensive cities I have ever lived in. We have friends who work as nurses at the local hospital and I don't know how they afford to live. The wages look great but you have to do your research and ensure you can survive day to day.

Our reasons for looking to move are 2 fold:

We have family in Toronto who we are extremely close to and have visited 5x times. We love Canada, being Scottish we love the 4 proper seasons, closeness to the US and cost of living opportunities.

I work in Oil and Gas, once the 2 major O&G projects in Western Australia are completed the career prospects are likely to be poor. The company I worked for on the project have a head office in Ontario so again it all fits nicely with potential work on North American projects in the future.

For me both are on a par with each other (Apologies for sitting on the fence) Do your research and you will not go wrong with either as long as you go into the move with your eyes open.

Regards

ScottyB
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

BurtLington is an unknown quantity at this point

I've entered the EE pool and picked BC and Ontario - been looking into Ontario more after visiting there recently. I haven't received any kind of invitation of interest from Ontario yet, even though I have 444 points and well over 1 year of Canadian work experience in my field of expertise. Am I missing something?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurtLington
I've entered the EE pool and picked BC and Ontario - been looking into Ontario more after visiting there recently. I haven't received any kind of invitation of interest from Ontario yet, even though I have 444 points and well over 1 year of Canadian work experience in my field of expertise. Am I missing something?
The Ontario PNP site states

When you register for Express Entry, you must indicate your interest in immigrating to either Ontario or “All Provinces and Territories.”
So maybe putting down BC has excluded you.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 12:40 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Half way through now (the 6 month period) - was hoping for the RPRF request today
Old Mar 30th 2016, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

BurtLington is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bc2015
The Ontario PNP site states

So maybe putting down BC has excluded you.
Ah shoot, I didn't know that. Is there anyone here who has received an Ontario PNP who didn't just put down Ontario?
Old Mar 30th 2016, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

frencheyeglass is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I am considering applying for Express Entry (I have also applied for the IEC, but I am at the mercy of the lottery there so would like a more guaranteed backup).

Having used the calculator below, I have calculated that I would get 474 points. My details are below:

- 26 years old
- 3-year BSc (grade of 2.1)
- 1-year Post-Graduate Certificate in International Business Management
- 3 years work experience in the UK and USA (Financial sector)
- No Canada work experience
- Not married / No family in Canada / No nomination / etc
- Assuming highest marks in English tests

Given the above:

1. Do you think my points are accurate? I used this website to calculate them (https://portal.canadavisa.com/crs/)
2. What is the likelihood of being granted an ITA with 474 points?
3. How hard is it to get full marks on the English tests? I am a very well educated individual.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Last edited by frencheyeglass; Mar 30th 2016 at 9:02 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frencheyeglass
Hi all,

3. How hard is it to get full marks on the English tests? I am a very well educated individual.

You might get a shock if you don't prepare. You should ensure you are familiar with the test format and should work through a couple of sample tests.

S
Old Mar 31st 2016, 12:30 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
You might get a shock if you don't prepare. You should ensure you are familiar with the test format and should work through a couple of sample tests.

S
Totally agree with this. I'm a native English speaker and I didnt get top marks in all the sections.

I even prepared as well
Old Mar 31st 2016, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

you don't need to get top marks to get full points only 10 or higher max being 12
Old Mar 31st 2016, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frencheyeglass
Hi all,

I am considering applying for Express Entry (I have also applied for the IEC, but I am at the mercy of the lottery there so would like a more guaranteed backup).

Having used the calculator below, I have calculated that I would get 474 points. My details are below:

- 26 years old
- 3-year BSc (grade of 2.1)
- 1-year Post-Graduate Certificate in International Business Management
- 3 years work experience in the UK and USA (Financial sector)
- No Canada work experience
- Not married / No family in Canada / No nomination / etc
- Assuming highest marks in English tests

Given the above:

1. Do you think my points are accurate? I used this website to calculate them (https://portal.canadavisa.com/crs/)
First make sure you pass the "Come to Canada" tool (67 pts required). Then, you can double check your CRS pts using CIC's calculator:
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) - tool

2. What is the likelihood of being granted an ITA with 474 points?
Have a look at the points required for each draw so far (March 23rd was 470):
Express Entry results: Previous rounds of invitations

Harder than you might think. It's not about how good your English is or being a native speaker, it's about passing the test (which is not designed for native speakers). I'd highly recommend looking up & trying some mock tests.

Answers above in bold.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560

S
Yeah I agree too. I think its more a skill on doing these tests. The speaking part of the test is relatively straightforward, the rest takes a bit of practice.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Gorbzilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi frencheyeglass.

Yes your points look about right. The actual points system is here:
Express Entry – Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria

Just to reiterate what others have said on the language test, make sure you prepare and understand the structure. A CLB 8 or below on any ability will make you drop an absolute ton of express entry points, and you can overcome this simply by preparing a bit.

Conversion of language scores to CLB equivalent (you'll presumably do IELTS, which is out of 9 for each ability):
Language test equivalency charts

This gives a high level idea of the marking system for IELTS:
IELTS Band Scores and Marking Criteria

I'd be curious to know if anyone did actually get full marks on all sections of IELTS.

Good luck!
Old Mar 31st 2016, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly, the last person that I knew of relatively recently, who got straight 9s, was a non-native speaker of English with Russian as a first language. A lot of native speakers seem to get an overall of 8.5 I've noticed.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 31st 2016 at 9:16 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.