Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Express Entry Scores and Progress Thread

Express Entry Scores and Progress Thread

Old Mar 14th 2016, 11:14 pm
PottsyJ

Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Express Entry Scores and Progress Thread

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I don't know then if it was a graduate scheme. I just knowing working during your undergrad and or placement year doesn't count.

However if you can't get a letter and it doesn't affect the points then just put that job in personal history and not in work history as all the jobs in work history require the reference letter
Hi Beckiwoo,

Just a question on that, I did like a block release from college for a total of 12 months sea time for my hnc. Not really classed as placement. Do you know if that would be classed as experience too? Technically it is filling out all the duties listed for the noc code.

Thanks.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

ScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leaf25
I'm debating whether to decline my ITA.

I'm having a real hard time getting any contact from a job I did in Spain several years ago. I can't even supply a copy of the contract as it is in a locked word document that I no longer have the password for. It was also classed as a "placement" as the job was paid through my university and the company I worked for.

If I don't list that job as work experience toward my application I still have 4 years of foreign work experience in skill class B, as well as my 18 months in Canada.

I'm not sure whether to just upload a letter of explanation for the job or to decline and start again???

I believe I'd still get the 50 points from "Transferability: Work Experience" section as I have 3 or more years foreign work experience in the same NOC code.

Sorry for all the posts. Just don't know what to do. If I apply and they don't like that particular part I still have the required work experience. But I don't want to put it all through and pay and then it gets rejected.

Hi Leaf25,

I feel for your situation, I am concerned though that CIC may be less than impressed if your profile in relation to your work experience doesn't match your PR application.

I know from experience that they cross check information especially where points have been allocated.

They also have a "checkpoint" in the online profile where we all have to "Digitally" sign a disclaimer confirming the information we have entered in the profile is true and correct.

Tough one with several options:

1 - Update your profile work experience ensuring the experience stands up to scrutiny and you have the evidence to support it

2 - Leave as is and provide an explanation letter around difficulties obtaining the evidence/status of the experience

Best of luck either way and keep us posted

Regards

ScottyB
Old Mar 15th 2016, 2:36 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joepottinger
Hi Beckiwoo,

Just a question on that, I did like a block release from college for a total of 12 months sea time for my hnc. Not really classed as placement. Do you know if that would be classed as experience too? Technically it is filling out all the duties listed for the noc code.

Thanks.
I honestly don't know. I just know that if you were undertaking skilled work before you became qualified. It doesn't count generally but I wasn't in that situation so I don't know first hand
Old Mar 15th 2016, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Leaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottyB
Hi Leaf25,

I feel for your situation, I am concerned though that CIC may be less than impressed if your profile in relation to your work experience doesn't match your PR application.

I know from experience that they cross check information especially where points have been allocated.

They also have a "checkpoint" in the online profile where we all have to "Digitally" sign a disclaimer confirming the information we have entered in the profile is true and correct.

Tough one with several options:

1 - Update your profile work experience ensuring the experience stands up to scrutiny and you have the evidence to support it

2 - Leave as is and provide an explanation letter around difficulties obtaining the evidence/status of the experience

Best of luck either way and keep us posted

Regards

ScottyB
I just entered all my work experience (which is all under NOC code) as it asked. I don't remember seeing anything about placements/internships. Unless someone can verify?

I didn't realise even though it was a full time job with responsabilities and not and internship, that that work doesn't count towards work experience. Everything entered is true and correct.

I've explained it in my letter of explanation. I have 3 years 11 months foreign work experience in the NOC code, even without the two placements from university.

But I have been contemplating declining the ITA. Then doing another PR application (minus the Uni placements as work experience) and then waiting for the next round. I don't know whether this would be better to do or not.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...nvitations.asp - Under Programme Requirements it can be interpreted that although my profile has changed I still qualify under CEC (3 + years foreign work experience)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp - Under Minimum Requirements. I knew I qualified for FSW and CEC but now I have an ITA for CEC that job. Under FSW it doesn't mention anything about internships or placements?? Only unpaid internships.

So as I see it when I applied and the work experience I listed could have applied for FSW and CEC. Now I've been invited on CEC route I need to remove the placements as these don't count, however I still qualify.

Last edited by Leaf25; Mar 15th 2016 at 7:57 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

miss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond reputemiss_mp has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if this is still helpful or not now that you might not include your placements. But when I applied, I had some work experience in which I had problems getting letters of reference from from previous employers for different reasons - whether they don't hold my records or company no longer existed, or HR had a certain policy in which they don't detail certain information, like duties/salary etc. So instead I submitted any evidence to CIC which showed I tried to obtain a reference and couldn't. I also submitted any wage slips or end of tax year reports and anything which might fill in any gaps in information which were missing on the letter. And along with the evidence I also submitted a letter of explanation.

Last edited by miss_mp; Mar 15th 2016 at 8:43 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Leaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond reputeLeaf25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss_mp
I'm not sure if this is still helpful or not now that you might not include your placements. But when I applied, I had some work experience in which I had problems getting letters of reference from from previous employers for different reasons - whether they don't hold my records or company no longer existed, or HR had a certain policy in which they don't detail certain information, like duties/salary etc. So instead I submitted any evidence to CIC which showed I tried to obtain a reference and couldn't. I also submitted any wage slips or end of tax year reports and anything which might fill in any gaps in information which were missing on the letter. And along with the evidence I also submitted a letter of explanation.
Thanks miss_mp. My first placement I can get a letter no problem, payslips etc that's fine. But doesn't count for me under CEC because I wasn't "qualified" at that point. The second one is a placement from my uni, after I'd graduated, but my graduation ceremony was during my time on the job. So I could still not be "qualified" even a couple of months into the placement, or it could be interpreted that way. Payment was done via the Uni and a small amount from the company. I may have some payslips but it was all based in the contract. Which I can't get into!!!

I'm seriously thinking of declining. I put my contracts under the one employer when I should have split them up, even though the employer didn't change. I might be able to get my recruiter to write a letter saying that they were trying to get me in on a permanent basis (a contract extension if you like) but wasn't successful. I even have an email from the directory of my department presenting me to the director of the other department for consideration.

I know I still qualify if I do reapply, and I know it's not guaranteed I'd get another invite. I've done the calculator and still get 488 points. But if I have to rejig some of my work experience, it's like scottyb was saying. I'd rather do it again and make sure it's right so it all matches up. I don't want to get rejected and miss out on having the opportunity to re-apply.

I've had four jobs whilst in Canada, two were contracts, and it just complicates things so much, especially in instances like this.

Last edited by Leaf25; Mar 15th 2016 at 10:16 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

GMcD1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Here is my timeline, this for an EE FSW with common law partner application with 460 points.

ITA - 10th July 2015 (I had 465 points for this one)
AOR - 8th Sept 2015
Rejection - 9th Oct 2016 - due to not uploading original Degree certificates, only WES certificate (stupid on our part)
ITA - 18th Dec 2015
AOR - 15th Feb 2016
Medical results passed - 16th Feb 2016
A few days later background check went from 'In Progress' to 'not needed at this time' and eligibility check is still in progress

We left BC last August 2015 when our IEC expired, and we are just desperate to get back there asap.

Is there anyone out there who is in the same boat as us on an FSW who has any news on processing times? Anyone who got their AOR in Oct/Nov 2015 that may be getting closer to PPR? Because we are not required to submit a Schedule A or 4 form, what is the next we update to expect?

I would love to here some success stories, all I ever seem to read about is PNP or CEC applications going through.

Thanks
Gemma
Old Mar 19th 2016, 12:34 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GMcD1983
Hi all,

Here is my timeline, this for an EE FSW with common law partner application with 460 points.

ITA - 10th July 2015 (I had 465 points for this one)
AOR - 8th Sept 2015
Rejection - 9th Oct 2016 - due to not uploading original Degree certificates, only WES certificate (stupid on our part)
ITA - 18th Dec 2015
AOR - 15th Feb 2016
Medical results passed - 16th Feb 2016
A few days later background check went from 'In Progress' to 'not needed at this time' and eligibility check is still in progress

We left BC last August 2015 when our IEC expired, and we are just desperate to get back there asap.

Is there anyone out there who is in the same boat as us on an FSW who has any news on processing times? Anyone who got their AOR in Oct/Nov 2015 that may be getting closer to PPR? Because we are not required to submit a Schedule A or 4 form, what is the next we update to expect?

I would love to here some success stories, all I ever seem to read about is PNP or CEC applications going through.

Thanks
Gemma
You might have awhile yet. I'm am waiting for RPRF request and then PPR after that

Your eligibility check will remain 'in progress' until a decision is made.

My time line should be in my signature
Old Mar 19th 2016, 4:54 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Does work experience only count after you have your degree?

So for example, if you have 8 years of full-time work experience in a field but studied for a degree part-time and got the degree in the 7th year out of the 8 then would you be able to claim points for the degree plus 8 years of work experience or just the degree plus 1 year of work experience?

If this doesn't make sense then please just let me know.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Does work experience only count after you have your degree?

So for example, if you have 8 years of full-time work experience in a field but studied for a degree part-time and got the degree in the 7th year out of the 8 then would you be able to claim points for the degree plus 8 years of work experience or just the degree plus 1 year of work experience?

If this doesn't make sense then please just let me know.
Not at all. My degree is nothing to do with 100% of my skilled work.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

You might have awhile yet. I'm am waiting for RPRF request and then PPR after that

Your eligibility check will remain 'in progress' until a decision is made.

My time line should be in my signature
Hi Beckiwoo,

Thanks for your reply. Good to know that the eligibility doesn't change, at least we won't be expecting that now.

I couldn't see your timeline in your signature, do you mind sending it please? I would be interested to know how long you have been waiting?

Thanks
Gemma
Old Mar 20th 2016, 10:15 pm
Bex in the city

How about now?

BG check has been in progress since 15 January.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 10:32 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
Not at all. My degree is nothing to do with 100% of my skilled work.
Thanks. The only reason I ask is because I found out yesterday that Australia and NZ have that rule. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't the same story for Canada.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

How about now?

BG check has been in progress since 15 January.
Yes I can see your timeline now, thanks! So you are about 5 weeks ahead of us. Please do let me know if anything changes with yours. Weird that our BG check changed to 'Not needed at this time' but yours is still 'in progress', but I did read a few forums where that seemed to be the case across the board, there doesn't seem to be any set pattern to that.

I see you are still in Van on your IEC! Lucky you. In hindsight we should have started the application much earlier, but we only started it a few months before our IEC expired, we only had the 1 year IEC though.

Please let me know if you hear of anyone else with an AOR earlier than Jan 2016 who may have progress news. Thanks!
Old Mar 21st 2016, 3:47 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by GMcD1983
Yes I can see your timeline now, thanks! So you are about 5 weeks ahead of us. Please do let me know if anything changes with yours. Weird that our BG check changed to 'Not needed at this time' but yours is still 'in progress', but I did read a few forums where that seemed to be the case across the board, there doesn't seem to be any set pattern to that.

I see you are still in Van on your IEC! Lucky you. In hindsight we should have started the application much earlier, but we only started it a few months before our IEC expired, we only had the 1 year IEC though.

Please let me know if you hear of anyone else with an AOR earlier than Jan 2016 who may have progress news. Thanks!
No worries. With the exception of PNP and CEC applicants,I know of one FSW Outland applicant with AOR end of Jan who got their RPRF and PPR already. Apart from that I know nothing else.

The background check statuses are a mystery to me as well. Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.