Wikiposts

Express Entry questions

Old Sep 8th 2018, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

Cheese Lady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Express Entry questions

Hi, this is my first time posting anything so apologies if I should have started my own thread.
I am going to apply for Canadian immigration via Express Entry and include my fiancé in my application. Does he need to take the language test as well or just me as the principal applicant?
Many thanks.
Old Sep 8th 2018, 10:48 pm
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language tests

Originally Posted by Cheese Lady
Hi, this is my first time posting anything so apologies if I should have started my own thread.
I am going to apply for Canadian immigration via Express Entry and include my fiancé in my application. Does he need to take the language test as well or just me as the principal applicant?
Many thanks.
If your fiance takes the test also it will boost your points.

Use the CRS tool to calculate what points you are currently on and how you can improve the total.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...d/crs-tool.asp

Current draws in Express Entry are around the 440 mark so you will that or higher to get an invitation.
The last draw you can find here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tions.html#fn1

Have a look around the government website and see what is best for you.

Last edited by G0ldie; Sep 8th 2018 at 10:49 pm. Reason: added link
Old Sep 8th 2018, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Very helpful and very much appreciated.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 12:19 am
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Very helpful and very much appreciated.
To be eligible for Express Entry you need to firstly go through the Six Selection Factors. Have a look at the link below and assess your scores as you will need to be above 67 to go through to the next stage.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...kers.html#toc0
Old Sep 9th 2018, 1:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express Entry questions

Many thanks.

Hello and welcome to BE!

I've moved your posts to a thread of your own as you will probably have more questions about Express Entry - and it's always better to start your own thread rather than tagging on to another thread - that way you get responses targeted at YOUR questions.

Do fee free to ask anything about immigration matters! We also have some great wiki sections on immigration that you might find of use.

Please note - with regards to your initial question. Your fiance does not need to take a language test unless
a) You are getting married prior to submission of your application, and they will be included in your application as your spouse
or
b) You have lived together 'as if married' for a minimum of 12 consecutive months without break and thus can be included on your application as your 'common-law partner'

If neither of those scenarios applies then your fiance won't be included in your application. If one does and you need the additional points for express entry then yes, it will help!
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...try/works.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 9th 2018 at 1:35 am.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 5:06 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Many thanks.
1. I assume you know that you can't include your fiancee unless you are either common/law or married.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies. Yes we are classed as common-law having been together for 23 years- we always wanted to tie the knot in Canada!
Just to clarify - my partner only need to take the test if I need the extra points - it's not compulsory?

Thanks again!
Old Sep 18th 2018, 8:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies. Yes we are classed as common-law having been together for 23 years- we always wanted to tie the knot in Canada!
Just to clarify - my partner only need to take the test if I need the extra points - it's not compulsory?

Thanks again!
Yep. It's only mandatory for the principal applicant to take it. He only needs to take it if you need the points. What are you scoring on the CRS?
Old Sep 18th 2018, 9:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again!

When you say 'been together' - do you mean that you have lived together 'as if married' for 23 years? Congrats!

You only need a minimum of 12 consecutive months, without break, of living together 'as if married' to qualify for common law partners for Immigration purposes. Do make sure you to start gathering documentation (proof) to back it up.

As christmasoompa and Goldie mentioned, do use the CRS calculator to assess your points to see if you'll both end up needing to take it. Assume for CRS purposes that you have already taken it and achieved top marks - and that you have had your ECA done too - then post back with your points breakdown. Hopefully it's in the 440+ region..