Express Entry queries

Old Jul 24th 2019, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Jcwelch is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Express Entry queries

Hi all, i’m New to the forum so be gentle!

A quick brief about me, I’m a 27 year old qualified mechanical engineer with 4 years post apprenticeship work experience from the uk. My gf is from Vancouver and has been living in London with me but the time has come to move to Canada.

I have completed a 4 year advanced apprenticeship I mechanical engineering and have an NVQ 3.and have a level 3 diploma in mechanical engineering.

I am elegible for Express Entry and have completed my IELTS general training, now I need to get an education credential assessment but I’m struggling to find the process / companies I can do so with. All the information I’m finding is just making me more confused. I was hoping someone could help me out / give me an idiots guide as to how to get an ECA.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 6:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express Entry queries

Hi, welcome to BE.

Here you go - Where can I get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)?

Worth noting though, that the qualifications you've mentioned may not be worth any points under EE, as they're vocational rather than academic. As you'll see from each of the agencies websites, they don't assess vocational qualifications. What are you scoring on the CRS?

Have you looked in to an IEC visa? It's just that it would be SOOOOO much easier/quicker/cheaper than going down the EE route. And how long have you and your gf been living together? Sorry for the personal question, but again spousal sponsorship would be a much easier route to PR than an EE app, so worth checking.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Ah yeah I see, I’ve been reading so many contradictory things about the ECA, hence why I needed some info. If I could get one i’m Scoring about 440-460 but without I got no chance .

Ive looked a little into the IEC, but will look more into it this week. With regards do staying in Canada permanently, do companies offer sponsorship visas? (I know they do in Australia, but not sure if Canada has a similar system in place). We’ve been living together a couple years so that’s always an option. But would prefer to get there off my own back if possible!
Old Jul 24th 2019, 7:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jcwelch
Ah yeah I see, I’ve been reading so many contradictory things about the ECA, hence why I needed some info. If I could get one i’m Scoring about 440-460 but without I got no chance .
You can't apply without an ECA anyway, they're mandatory. Check your points score using the official calculator, what exactly are you scoring? 440 or 460 will make a big difference!

Ive looked a little into the IEC, but will look more into it this week.
Get cracking, and you could have one by Christmas. You'd then have a 2 year open work permit (which you wouldn't have to use for a year if you didn't want to go straight away) to move to Canada with, and of course you could then get your points score up by working in Canada for a year.

We’ve been living together a couple years so that’s always an option. But would prefer to get there off my own back if possible!
That's an odd one tbh - if you're a committed couple that have lived as husband and wife for 2 years, then why would it matter?!? It's not like you're using her to get there, but it would be a heck of a lot easier than an EE app.

With regards do staying in Canada permanently, do companies offer sponsorship visas? (I know they do in Australia, but not sure if Canada has a similar system in place).
Sort of, yes. But I can't see why you'd need it when you've got much easier options to you. For a company to 'sponsor' you in Canada it costs them $1000, and takes months, and they have to prove they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. As you can imagine, finding a company prepared to go through that isn't easy.

From what you've said, the IEC would be my vote to get you over there, and then apply for PR either via spousal sponsorship or EE once you have more points.

Good luck!
Old Jul 24th 2019, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Do note though that "engineer" is a regulated term in Canada, and your occupation may not fit that designation as it usually takes a university degree (4 years in Canada) before acceptance to the College or Association.

You have 2 much easier options to get over here, as christmas has pointed out.
Old Jul 24th 2019, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Legend! Thanks for all this!

The 440 was with 1 ECA for my apprenticeship NVQ and the 460 was for 2 with my college diploma too. That’s the scores I got with the calculator.

Ideally would be looking to go Feb / March. Oh so if I got accepted I get a year from that date to activate?? You’re literally telling me everything I want to here 😁

Yeah I suppose if I have an IEC I’d then get more points for my EE app in a couple years with some Canadian work experience on it!

Thanks again for for your help, been a stressful day and you’ve put my mind at rest!
Old Jul 24th 2019, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Do note though that "engineer" is a regulated term in Canada, and your occupation may not fit that designation as it usually takes a university degree (4 years in Canada) before acceptance to the College or Association.

You have 2 much easier options to get over here, as christmas has pointed out.
Here in BC this would almost certainly not meet the minimum education basis for registration as P.Eng.
You should check with the provincial/territorial authority where you plan To work
Old Jul 24th 2019, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Legend! Thanks for all this!

The 440 was with 1 ECA for my apprenticeship NVQ and the 460 was for 2 with my college diploma too. That’s the scores I got with the calculator.

Ideally would be looking to go Feb / March. Oh so if I got accepted I get a year from that date to activate?? You’re literally telling me everything I want to here 😁

Yeah I suppose if I have an IEC I’d then get more points for my EE app in a couple years with some Canadian work experience on it!

Thanks again for for your help, been a stressful day and you’ve put my mind at rest!
however vocational qualifications do not earn points only academic. Your apprenticeship is unlikely to be worth any points. The NVQ might not be as well.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 12:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Legend!

I think that should be my new forum title.

The 440 was with 1 ECA for my apprenticeship NVQ and the 460 was for 2 with my college diploma too.
As above, an apprenticeship and NVQ are unlikely to get you any points, so assume just secondary education for now.

Ideally would be looking to go Feb / March. Oh so if I got accepted I get a year from that date to activate?? You’re literally telling me everything I want to here

Yep. If you want to go in Feb/March then do get cracking and apply asap, there aren't many visas left for this year. It was full but they recently doubled the quota, so now there are more slots available, but as word gets out those will go very quickly so don't delay. Rounds of invitations – International Experience Canada

Just one year should do it - you don't want to leave it until the end of your IEC if at all avoidable, but a year would get you 105 extra points. It would also mean you would be eligible for CEC, so no proof of funds required etc.
Good luck.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Old Jul 25th 2019, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Noted thanks.

IEC app has just gone in. So will wait and see how that goes and the he makes re-evaluate where I’m at
CEC seems like the better option too! Will have a look into it now.