Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Express entry & PNP residency confusion, any advice?

Express entry & PNP residency confusion, any advice?

Old Oct 24th 2015, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Williambc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Express entry & PNP residency confusion, any advice?

Hi all,

A little info on our situation- My family of four are living in beautiful BC. We have been here for two years and have decided this is where we want to stay!
My husband has an indefinite contract with his company and is classed as a skilled worker, they are in the process of doing his LMIA, we have taken our IELTS test and are ready to apply for residency.

Can anyone advise me what the difference between express entry and PNP is?
And which category we fall under?

Does being in Canada and having a job give us more points?

Finally, has anyone used immigration lawyers or a company to apply for residency on their behalf? Does this speed things up?

Any advice from anyone who has done this confusing process will be truly appreciated!

Thanks
Old Oct 24th 2015, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express entry & PNP residency confusion, any advice?

PNP can be used to get more points under express entry. But if you have an LMIA, there's no point applying to PNP as you get points for LMIA OR PNP (but not both). You could apply under CEC or FSW. The main difference is that FSW requires an educational equivalency report (costs about $250), but CEC doesn't require one, as far as I know.

Immigration lawyers can't speed things up, and if your application is straightforward (no convictions etc...) then they really add no value.

If you have LMIA, then points won't be a concern but having Canadian work experience will give you more points.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Did you have an LMO for his current Work Permit and when does that Work Permit expire?

I had a conversation with our HR Director this week and apparently the Express Entry rules are changing: From November a NEW LMIA will be required, even if you still have a valid Work Permit.

ie If you've got a current Work Permit, get your Application in IMMEDIATELY!

I applied via the CEC route, having abandoned a 2014 pre-Express Entry PNP Application (got nominated for BC, but couldn't use that for EE).
Old Oct 24th 2015, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Thank you bc2015!

Does the LMIA contribute a lot of points?
My husband is the skilled worker but I also work will I need an LMIA? My jobs basic admin and I don't have any qualifications to brag about
One last question, what's CEC?

Thanks again!
Old Oct 24th 2015, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi withabix,

His position is LMO exempt. The company paid a fee to prove?! this.

We applied for work permit extension in June but are still waiting for our application to even be looked at!
Thanks withabix!
Old Oct 24th 2015, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Williambc
Thank you bc2015!

Does the LMIA contribute a lot of points?
My husband is the skilled worker but I also work will I need an LMIA? My jobs basic admin and I don't have any qualifications to brag about
One last question, what's CEC?

Thanks again!
CEC = Canadian Experience Class

Your husband would automatically be 'in' this class when applying, as he has been working in Canada for more than 12 months.

The scoring system is here: Express Entry – Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria

You get 600 Points for LMIA or PN.

Basically if you get an LMIA or PN, you automatically get an Invitation to Apply.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

That's great to know!

Thanks for your help. I will have a read of the ranking system and try to understand it better.
I have found this process so confusing and the information you have given me is by far the most straight forward I have had!