Express Entry First Draw

Old Feb 1st 2015, 10:59 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Express Entry First Draw

So the first draw of Express Entry has been made: Ministerial Instructions

There have been 779 ITAs issued with a cutoff of 886 points meaning either Provincial Nomination or an LMIA will have been required.

If this continues it'll be the effective end of CEC.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express Entry First Draw

Originally Posted by BTJ
So the first draw of Express Entry has been made: Ministerial Instructions

There have been 779 ITAs issued with a cutoff of 886 points meaning either Provincial Nomination or an LMIA will have been required.

If this continues it'll be the effective end of CEC.
Effective end of CEC? Sounds a bit ridiculous to be honest. That average is bound to change throughout the year given how much harder it appears to be to get an approved LMIA. Also, without looking into it, I imagine PNP routes still have a cap so once those caps are reached there will be less apps at the top end. Then again, who am I to say... I just tend to guess at this particular process.

Anyone else think that 779 is a bit of a low number considering the overall goal to attract 200k new immigrants to Canada in 2015?
Old Feb 1st 2015, 11:39 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Effective end of CEC? Sounds a bit ridiculous to be honest.
I agree. I had only meant if the numbers continued as is.

Anyone else think that 779 is a bit of a low number considering the overall goal to attract 200k new immigrants to Canada in 2015?
Agree. 2015 planned levels: Notice – Supplementary Information to the 2015 Immigration Levels Plan

In 2015 between FSW/FSTP/CEC the target is up to 74k, so should still be expecting just over 6,000 ITAs per month, not 779! Though I wonder how much the legacy 2014 FSW/CEC/FSTP will reduce the EE allocation by for much of 2015.

So perhaps this low number boils down to:

Guess we'll just need to continue to wait and see.
      Old Feb 1st 2015, 2:56 pm
      BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

The first batch were inevitably going to be high point scores, given that they went for a January draw.

They were probably ALL people already working here on TFW via LMOs who had applied for PNP last year, fast-tracking themselves through the CIC part of the process by taking a quick English test.

It was also likely to be a small number for the first draw, because nobody has any experience in this process.

I can imagine the cut-off score will remain high until they have got through the backlog of 2014 PNP applicants, which is a FAIR way to do it, given that these people have been waiting longer. In BC there would appear to be about 6 months worth of PNP applications just in backlog, as they managed to process up to about 4000 last year and had about 7500 applications. If you assume that at least 2/3 of these are EE-qualifiable and that all the other provinces have similar (or worse) backlogs, these are going to overwhelm the EE system this year.

I'm expecting to be in the next draw or the one after, as I have my English test in two weeks time.

You do have to wonder how many they will be able to process though, given their record, both in terms of recent PNP processing times and the 'speed' that CIC works at....

Last edited by withabix; Feb 1st 2015 at 3:01 pm.
      Old Feb 1st 2015, 6:38 pm
      BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

That's a lot of backlog, withabix. Are you going through the PNP EE then?
      Old Feb 1st 2015, 11:20 pm
      Forum Regular

doubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by withabix
      The first batch were inevitably going to be high point scores, given that they went for a January draw.

They were probably ALL people already working here on TFW via LMOs who had applied for PNP last year, fast-tracking themselves through the CIC part of the process by taking a quick English test.

It was also likely to be a small number for the first draw, because nobody has any experience in this process.

I can imagine the cut-off score will remain high until they have got through the backlog of 2014 PNP applicants, which is a FAIR way to do it, given that these people have been waiting longer. In BC there would appear to be about 6 months worth of PNP applications just in backlog, as they managed to process up to about 4000 last year and had about 7500 applications. If you assume that at least 2/3 of these are EE-qualifiable and that all the other provinces have similar (or worse) backlogs, these are going to overwhelm the EE system this year.

I'm expecting to be in the next draw or the one after, as I have my English test in two weeks time.

You do have to wonder how many they will be able to process though, given their record, both in terms of recent PNP processing times and the 'speed' that CIC works at....
      I don't think any previously nominated PNP applicants have had their nominations confirmed for EE, the 779 that have been selected appear to just have been clearing out all of the LMIA-supported profiles. Would explain the random 779 number.

I'd expect the next draw to hit people in the base 600 point category since getting new LMIAs isn't easy and it looks like PNP is all over the place, with only a couple of provinces being up to speed on EE.
      Old Feb 2nd 2015, 12:11 am
      BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting news and unfortunately is exactly what I expected. People applying for CEC can't achieve as high scores as people in the other streams, so will possibly be getting screwed over in this "top ranking" draw system, unless they specifically draw for CEC. Of course, you should still be able to be able to succeed, but the timing is looking to be inconvenient for people currently on IEC like myself, as it seems like it will be much later in the year.

The way I view it is this... If you're looking to apply for CEC, wait until they announce an almost achievable score, to utilize the full length of your year application.
      Old Feb 2nd 2015, 3:00 am
      Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KuroKuro

The way I view it is this... If you're looking to apply for CEC, wait until they announce an almost achievable score, to utilize the full length of your year application.
      We can but hope...there is very little chance of me getting an LMIA
      Old Feb 2nd 2015, 4:46 am
      Forum Regular

doubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the roughdoubleym is a jewel in the rough

Interesting news and unfortunately is exactly what I expected. People applying for CEC can't achieve as high scores as people in the other streams, so will possibly be getting screwed over in this "top ranking" draw system, unless they specifically draw for CEC. Of course, you should still be able to be able to succeed, but the timing is looking to be inconvenient for people currently on IEC like myself, as it seems like it will be much later in the year.

It's worth putting in your EE profile if you qualify for FSW anyway and updating it as you gain more work experience etc.
      Old Feb 2nd 2015, 9:28 am
      BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have to consider a couple things. Firstly it's become much harder to get an LMIA, something like a 75% drop since the LMO process changed to LMIA. Secondly I believe there are still caps on PNP so once those programs are full the cut off score would surely drop over the coming months as you'd assume they'd make up the bulk of the top end scores.

As for waiting for an achievable score, I'm not sure that's the best approach. That cut off score is bound to change throughout the year, so while it could be lower one month it's entirely possible it'll go up for the next months. Personally, if I had all the paperwork ready to go, I'd submit a profile as soon as possible. You can update profile when necessary throughout that year.
      Old Feb 2nd 2015, 9:37 am
      Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
      I think you have to consider a couple things. Firstly it's become much harder to get an LMIA, something like a 75% drop since the LMO process changed to LMIA. Secondly I believe there are still caps on PNP so once those programs are full the cut off score would surely drop over the coming months as you'd assume they'd make up the bulk of the top end scores.

As for waiting for an achievable score, I'm not sure that's the best approach. That cut off score is bound to change throughout the year, so while it could be lower one month it's entirely possible it'll go up for the next months. Personally, if I had all the paperwork ready to go, I'd submit a profile as soon as possible. You can update profile when necessary throughout that year.
      Exactly, that's the whole idea behind this system, people can improve their scores with more work experience, qualifications, better language scores etc. There is no advantage to waiting until the minimum score drops but a lot to lose especially considering it's free to submit a profile.
      Old Feb 2nd 2015, 9:43 am
      BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by doubleym
      Exactly, that's the whole idea behind this system, people can improve their scores with more work experience, qualifications, better language scores etc. There is no advantage to waiting until the minimum score drops but a lot to lose especially considering it's free to submit a profile.
      Yeah my concern with that approach would be, say it goes up one month so you hold off submitting, but then the next month the cut has dropped dramatically so that your score would have been within the cut off had you submitted. That said not sure how likely that is in practice
      Old Feb 2nd 2015, 1:12 pm
      Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Before you can submit, you need the language test and ECAS right? Or can you submit without these and get a lower score?
      Old Feb 2nd 2015, 1:22 pm
      Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
      Before you can submit, you need the language test and ECAS right? Or can you submit without these and get a lower score?
      You definitely need a language score and without an ECA you'd score nothing I believe for education..
      Old Feb 2nd 2015, 1:51 pm
      Bex in the city

Thanks. The language test i can deal with

I decided to stop asking people questions and look for myself on the page.

I read here that you dont need an ECAS (but obviously it will help the points) if...

If you were educated outside Canada, you may need to have your educational credentials assessed against Canadian standards.
      This is not mandatory if:

you got at least one year of recent work experience in Canada, or
      your work experience is in a skilled trade (skilled manual work).

Does this mean if you have a year of experience you dont need to submit an ECAS? Thinking of trying my luck without it as i dont know if I will need my degree (unrelated to the job I am currently doing) or my NVQ (related to the job that i am doing) assessed

UPDATE: it looks like WES do assess Vocational qualifications now. Under the heading:vocational and professional education btec diplomas and all other externally examined qualifications.

Last edited by beckiwoo; Feb 2nd 2015 at 1:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.