Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Express Entry assessment and help with next steps

Express Entry assessment and help with next steps

Old Dec 28th 2021, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Express Entry assessment and help with next steps

Hello,

I've gone through the guide: Quick Guide to Canadian Immigration : British Expat Wiki (britishexpats.com)
and my results are as below:
  1. Based on your answers, you appear to be eligible for Express Entry
  2. Comprehensive Ranking System formula grand total = 484
My situation and further notes:
  • I am on a reciprocal work permit and officially complete 1 year of canadian work experience in Feb 2022.
  • I filled the CRS counting on 1 year canadian work experience.
  • I am yet to do the IELTS, but chose the best results categories considering English as my first language.
  • I consider the 50 points for "Do you have a valid job offer" is significant for me, but I am a little confused with the terminology of offer letter?
    • I have an offer letter from 2020 (note: exempt from LMIA), and the company did the work permit for me, and I am in permanent employment with them. What exactly do I need to claim these points? Do I need to get a new letter confirming my employment? what other details have to be there etc... the last note says "have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa" --- it's a big company so getting something through HR is a bit of a nightmare. unless there is a standard for this sort of stuff.
  • I counted 6 points for my partners qualifications, but if I don't really need it... prefer to ignore this to avoid the hassle of certifying a foreign qualification. My degree should be straight forward from a UK uni.

My next actions:
  1. Do IELTS
  2. Get UK degree certified using WES?
  3. Can I create the profile now? Note: When I did the express entry assessment counting Canadian experience I got a personal reference code starting CYxxxxxx, and a TFxxxx one if I did it without the Canadian exp. Do these differences matter if I want to get on with creating the profile now? same with IELTS results... can I just choose projected result categories and create the profile?
  • We pushed the official employment start date by a month or so after arrival (for HR to get some internal stuff sorted) - I assume the work permit issue date is irreverent for counting of Canadian experience, and it's rather based on the official employment start date (Feb 2022. Otherwise I could act earlier)?
I really want to get the PR process started at the earliest possible - we've already faced enough restrictions on the work permit.
Although the guide suggested I need 460+ points, When I looked at the Canadian experience class invitation history it varied last year with cut offs in 300's and a really odd one of 75 in Feb2021 when they invited a lot - So really hope I don't need a 2nd year of Canadian experience. I am not reading too much into the invitation patters, but feel like it's better earlier in the year, so prefer to do all the prep work ASAP and submit as soon as I hit the 1 year mark on Canadian experience.

Many Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 6th 2022, 9:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express Entry assessment and help with next steps

Originally Posted by eversmannx View Post
  • I consider the 50 points for "Do you have a valid job offer" is significant for me, but I am a little confused with the terminology of offer letter?
    • I have an offer letter from 2020 (note: exempt from LMIA), and the company did the work permit for me, and I am in permanent employment with them. What exactly do I need to claim these points? Do I need to get a new letter confirming my employment? what other details have to be there etc... the last note says "have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa" --- it's a big company so getting something through HR is a bit of a nightmare. unless there is a standard for this sort of stuff.
Whether you can claim those points will depend on various factors, not least the skill level of the job and the kind of work permit you're on (and if it's with a LMIA or not). Is your employer named on your work permit? Your job offer letter must be less than a year old, so you'll need a new one. These two articles have info on whether you'll be able to claim those points or not - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=695&top=29 and https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...mployment.html

Yes, you can create the profile anytime as long as you're eligible (note you'll need your IELTS & ECA's - both are mandatory for CEC & FSW so you're not eligible without them, see you previous thread - Express entry cut off - is it gone down??), and then update as you go along. The 460+ points is for most people in the UK i.e. those applying under FSW, not CEC. As you say there was a massive drop for CEC apps in Feb 2021, that was because they weren't inviting anybody under the FSW program so needed to make up the numbers. I can't see that happening again, as they have said they'll start inviting under the FSW program again early this year, but you never know - best to get in the pool asap just in case!

HTH, good luck.
Old Jan 6th 2022, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

eversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond reputeeversmannx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post

Whether you can claim those points will depend on various factors, not least the skill level of the job and the kind of work permit you're on (and if it's with a LMIA or not). Is your employer named on your work permit? Your job offer letter must be less than a year old, so you'll need a new one. These two articles have info on whether you'll be able to claim those points or not - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=695&top=29 and https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...mployment.html
Thanks. I recall going through those pages before posting. My employer and LMIA excempt (reciprocal) no are displayed in the permit, and I am in full time employment. So I guess I just need HR to issue a new letter confirming I will have a job at least one year after the issue of the PR as per this?

Yes, you can create the profile anytime as long as you're eligible (note you'll need your IELTS & ECA's - both are mandatory for CEC & FSW so you're not eligible without them.
Sorry for the repeat question. I think I'm a little confused about "creating the profile" to get a feel of the forms vs "actually submitting the application" (not the documents) --- I know I am eligible theoritically by filling in the original questionnaire, but your answer suggests I am not eligable until I actually get IELTS and ECA's done? so best to get these sorted first before "creating the profile"?

Thanks you.
Old Jan 7th 2022, 12:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I recall going through those pages before posting. My employer and LMIA excempt (reciprocal) no are displayed in the permit, and I am in full time employment. So I guess I just need HR to issue a new letter confirming I will have a job at least one year after the issue of the PR as per this?
Yep, as long as your work permit meets the criteria (sounds like it will if your employer is named on it) then you just need a more recent job offer letter.

Sorry for the repeat question. I think I'm a little confused about "creating the profile" to get a feel of the forms vs "actually submitting the application" (not the documents) --- I know I am eligible theoritically by filling in the original questionnaire, but your answer suggests I am not eligable until I actually get IELTS and ECA's done? so best to get these sorted first before "creating the profile"?
You don't submit an application until invited to do so i.e. you are selected from the pool of applicants. But to get in to the pool of applicants you must have IELTS and ECA, you're not eligible to enter the pool without them. So. yes, you need those first before you can create your profile/enter the pool.

HTH.
Old Jan 8th 2022, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Yep, as long as your work permit meets the criteria (sounds like it will if your employer is named on it) then you just need a more recent job offer letter.

You don't submit an application until invited to do so i.e. you are selected from the pool of applicants. But to get in to the pool of applicants you must have IELTS and ECA, you're not eligible to enter the pool without them. So. yes, you need those first before you can create your profile/enter the pool.

HTH.
Many Thanks for clarifying.