Express Entry (or another route?)

Old Apr 12th 2020, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

kwright32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Express Entry (or another route?)

Hi all,

Myself and my partner have been exploring relocation to BC for almost a year now. After reviewing our CRS points last year (439) I enrolled on a Graduate Certificate programme in Sept, which is due to finalise this month. Once completed, I am 90% sure this will allow us to claim more points under the '2 or more degrees' selection (I also have a Bachelors degree) - taking our overall score to 469. I would be lead applicant, with the highest education and I am also under 30.

The plan is:
- Conclude studies - obtain a revised WES report (fingers crossed this recgonises my Grad Cert)
- Undertake IELTS (about to be booked but currently on hold due to covid19)
- Enter the EE pool (hopefully this summer.. all being well)
- Sit tight with our fingers crossed

For a bit of background info, i'm 28 and partner is 36. My NOC code is 1121 and we would be planning to relocate just outside of Vancouver spring time next year.

With us being so close to the CRS threshold (based on current draws) I just wanted to ensure we aren't missing another route?

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 13th 2020, 1:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Express Entry (or another route?)

As you're only 28, then the obvious answer is an IEC visa. Would be much quicker and easier!
Old Apr 13th 2020, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks for the response - I have been looking into this but am slightly confused re. the spouse position on an IEC. As we want to relocate together and my partner is 36, what are his options on coming over with me?

Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2020, 1:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwright32
Hi

Thanks for the response - I have been looking into this but am slightly confused re. the spouse position on an IEC. As we want to relocate together and my partner is 36, what are his options on coming over with me?

Thanks
Assuming that he would qualify as your common-law spouse i.e. you've lived together for a year or more? If so, he can accompany you for the full 2 years, once you get a skilled job, then he gets a spousal open work permit for the same duration. It would have been a much easier way to get your points up than doing another year of study, sorry to point that out, but just for the sake of anybody else reading and looking to increase their CRS score who are aged 30 or under. Hopefully you wanted to do the course anyway though, and didn't just do it to get more points.

Definitely worth applying for IEC IMO, hopefully your certificate will count for points purposes (if it's an academic qualification and not a professional/vocational one), but it would give you a back up at least, and you could maybe go over sooner whilst PR is being processed.

HTH, good luck.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Assuming that he would qualify as your common-law spouse i.e. you've lived together for a year or more? If so, he can accompany you for the full 2 years, once you get a skilled job, then he gets a spousal open work permit for the same duration. It would have been a much easier way to get your points up than doing another year of study, sorry to point that out, but just for the sake of anybody else reading and looking to increase their CRS score who are aged 30 or under. Hopefully you wanted to do the course anyway though, and didn't just do it to get more points.

Definitely worth applying for IEC IMO, hopefully your certificate will count for points purposes (if it's an academic qualification and not a professional/vocational one), but it would give you a back up at least, and you could maybe go over sooner whilst PR is being processed.

HTH, good luck.

Thank you for the advice! Going to research the IEC a little further and in the meantime, get an updated ECA from WES once my qualification is finalised.

Thanks again
Old Apr 13th 2020, 3:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by kwright32
Thank you for the advice! Going to research the IEC a little further and in the meantime, get an updated ECA from WES once my qualification is finalised.

Thanks again
Sounds good. I would personally apply asap for an IEC (there are only a certain number each year and it's a lottery system, so the sooner you apply, the greater your chances). A score of 469 is good but borderline going on recent draws (last time it went that low for FSW was December), so an IEC is a good Plan B just in case, and would also mean you could move sooner if you wanted.

Best of luck to you.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

They have stopped issuing ITAs for IEC.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/selections.asp
Old Apr 14th 2020, 9:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by bc2015
They have stopped issuing ITAs for IEC.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/selections.asp
They're on hold, but that won't be forever.