Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Experts or Those With Knowledge:Go To Canada on Job Offer or Sponsor Route?

Experts or Those With Knowledge:Go To Canada on Job Offer or Sponsor Route?

Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:06 am
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Experts or Those With Knowledge:Go To Canada on Job Offer or Sponsor Route?

My boyfriend, whom I wish to sponsor, is trying to see if the company he works for here in Holland might be able to get him a transfer to Canada.

If this isn't possible, he will try to get a job at the same company by selling himself and hopefully getting his foot in that way.

My questions are:

1. If he were to get a job offer to work there within say 1-1.5 years, would I then sponsor him once in Canada?

2. If I were to sponsor him first and then move to Canada once we've gotten the OK, can he then start working for any Old tom , Dick or Harry? Or would he need to apply for a work permit?

( I am assuming that when sponsored it doesn't automoatically mean work for the sponsoree, or does it?)

Thanks you guys!

Cheers, Fluffy

PS: Thanks by the way to all those of you who have given me great advice thus far - truly you guys are amazing! I love this site - better than Hotmail.... I'm getting addicted ...... I should start up a canuck immigrants anonymous......
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Experts or Those With Knowledge:Go To Canada on Job Offer or Sponsor Route?

Originally Posted by Fluffy Boogie
My boyfriend, whom I wish to sponsor, is trying to see if the company he works for here in Holland might be able to get him a transfer to Canada.

If this isn't possible, he will try to get a job at the same company by selling himself and hopefully getting his foot in that way.

My questions are:

1. If he were to get a job offer to work there within say 1-1.5 years, would I then sponsor him once in Canada?

2. If I were to sponsor him first and then move to Canada once we've gotten the OK, can he then start working for any Old tom , Dick or Harry? Or would he need to apply for a work permit?

( I am assuming that when sponsored it doesn't automoatically mean work for the sponsoree, or does it?)

Thanks you guys!

Cheers, Fluffy

PS: Thanks by the way to all those of you who have given me great advice thus far - truly you guys are amazing! I love this site - better than Hotmail.... I'm getting addicted ...... I should start up a canuck immigrants anonymous......
If you apply for his PR now as a common-law spouse (can you prove you are in a common-law relationship, i.e. proof of living together for at least a year) that process will take about 6 months from start to finish, then he can work for anybody. I don't know how long the work permit route takes so can't help woth this, but I think the job has to be validated by HRDC or something. If you don't want to move back and get him working within the next 6 months I would go for the sponsorship route now and move back when it's completed...

By the way, sponsorship basically means that you agree to be financially responsible for him for 3 years. So even if you get his PR, go to Canada and then break up you are still financially responsible for him, for example if he can't get a job...

Last edited by Jonny; Feb 4th 2005 at 4:37 am.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:59 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experts or Those With Knowledge:Go To Canada on Job Offer or Sponsor Route?

Originally Posted by Fluffy Boogie

I believe that once his application reaches the "Approval in principal (AIP)" stage he can apply for an open work permit which allows him to work for any Tom Dick or Harry. Once he reaches the holy grail permanent resident stage he doesnt need a permit at all.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
I believe that once his application reaches the "Approval in principal (AIP)" stage he can apply for an open work permit which allows him to work for any Tom Dick or Harry. Once he reaches the holy grail permanent resident stage he doesnt need a permit at all.
When do you get an AIP? All I got for my spousal application was my AOR and then my PPR?? Nothing inbetween...
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:02 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonny
When do you get an AIP? All I got for my spousal application was my AOR and then my PPR?? Nothing inbetween...
Think it only applies to cases where both parties are in canada??? Seems to come about 3 months before the PPR