Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Experts: Sponsorship and PR - one in the same or not?

Wikiposts

Experts: Sponsorship and PR - one in the same or not?

Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:49 am
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Experts: Sponsorship and PR - one in the same or not?

Hello Forum Friends,

As you may (or not) know, I am looking to move to (born and raised) Canada again and take my common-law boyfriend with me (we're in Amsterdam). A few quibs, if I may....

1. We plan to start downloading all the files and forms and start filling them out this spring/summer and hope to send everything off by the end of this year (2005) - does that seem reasonable (seeing as lots of doucments need to be translated, etc...)?

2. We plan to move there end of 2006. That will give us a year from the time the doucments were sent off- as I have heard, once you have sent of documents (because the meds are to be done jsut before you send it all off as they are valid for one year), you have one year to move over there, correct?

3. OK! SO, say we hear back from Berlin (where we need to apply to, I imagine as we live in Holland) and they say - congrats, its in processing - its been approved - what do we then wait for - finalisation or a PR card?

4. The Permanent Res. Card - is this something that you get automatically when you get sponsorship/immigration approval, or is this something one needs to do after that?

5. This I ask mainly for my boyfriend - I am hoping that this will ensure he can work once we've arrived, asap, well, we'd both like to, obviously!

Thank you for your help and clarification in advance -

Fluffy
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Experts: Sponsorship and PR - one in the same or not?

Originally Posted by Fluffy Boogie
2. We plan to move there end of 2006. That will give us a year from the time the doucments were sent off- as I have heard, once you have sent of documents (because the meds are to be done jsut before you send it all off as they are valid for one year), you have one year to move over there, correct?
Once approved you will have one year from the date of your medical to land in Canada. But if you have to, you can just land and then return to Holland and come back when you are ready. You must be in Canada for 3 years out of every 5 year period.

3. OK! SO, say we hear back from Berlin (where we need to apply to, I imagine as we live in Holland) and they say - congrats, its in processing - its been approved - what do we then wait for - finalisation or a PR card?
Once approved, they will send you a letter asking for his passport. You send it to them and they stick a visa inside it and return it to you. Then you are free to go to Canada.

4. The Permanent Res. Card - is this something that you get automatically when you get sponsorship/immigration approval, or is this something one needs to do after that?
During the landing process in Canada, they will ask for a local address to send the PR card to. They will also staple a bit of paper inside his passport which can act as proof of PR until that card arrives. Mine took just 3 weeks or so to arrive.

5. This I ask mainly for my boyfriend - I am hoping that this will ensure he can work once we've arrived, asap, well, we'd both like to, obviously!
He can work as soon as he lands. But you will have to apply for a SIN number for him. Don't forget there's nothing stopping you from applying for jobs before it's all completed, you just can't start work before you land.

Good luck...
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:30 am

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about
Wink Re: Experts: Sponsorship and PR - one in the same or not?

Originally Posted by Jonny
Once approved you will have one year from the date of your medical to land in Canada. But if you have to, you can just land and then return to Holland and come back when you are ready. You must be in Canada for 3 years out of every 5 year period.

Once approved, they will send you a letter asking for his passport. You send it to them and they stick a visa inside it and return it to you. Then you are free to go to Canada.

During the landing process in Canada, they will ask for a local address to send the PR card to. They will also staple a bit of paper inside his passport which can act as proof of PR until that card arrives. Mine took just 3 weeks or so to arrive.

He can work as soon as he lands. But you will have to apply for a SIN number for him. Don't forget there's nothing stopping you from applying for jobs before it's all completed, you just can't start work before you land.

Good luck...
Johnny,

You rock - thanks a lot for the advice!

Fluffy
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:34 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to get the sponsorship done and approved before he applies for PR on the basis of you sponsoring him. Its two seperate processes.

Also residency requirement is 2 years out of five I think.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 10th 2005 at 4:36 am.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by iaink
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to get the sponsorship done and approved before he applies for PR on the basis of you sponsoring him. Its two seperate processes.

Hmmm. I'm not sure either (duh!) Anyone for clarifications sake???...

he he.... one more day and then its weekend ...

Fluffy
Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink

For sponsored spouses the whole application including sponsorship application, PR application, medical receipt, even fee payment receipt or payment all goes to Mississauga in one package... Should be the same for common-law.