Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Experts plz. Student->Immigrant-> Citizen, time accumulation

Experts plz. Student->Immigrant-> Citizen, time accumulation

Old Jul 19th 2005, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

macoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experts plz. Student->Immigrant-> Citizen, time accumulation

read this part from Citizenship Act first

Grant of citizenship

5. (1) The Minister shall grant citizenship to any person who

(1) (c) is a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and has, within the four years immediately preceding the date of his or her application, accumulated at least three years of residence in Canada calculated in the following manner:

(1) (c) (i) for every day during which the person was resident in Canada before his lawful admission to Canada for permanent residence the person shall be deemed to have accumulated one-half of a day of residence, and

does that mean, if a student stayed in Canada for four years before becoming an PR, the four years can be accumulated into half, which is two years, regarding citizenship application? Previously, I thought the time accumulation could be to a maximum of one year. However, thoughout the entire Citizenship Act, the word "maximum" does not even appear.

Experts, please clarify. Thanks.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 8:35 am
London, UK

newlooks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Experts plz. Student->Immigrant-> Citizen, time accumulation

Originally Posted by macoy

Grant of citizenship

(1) (c) is a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and has, within the four years immediately preceding the date of his or her application, accumulated at least three years of residence in Canada calculated in the following manner:

(1) (c) (i) for every day during which the person was resident in Canada before his lawful admission to Canada for permanent residence the person shall be deemed to have accumulated one-half of a day of residence, and

does that mean, if a student stayed in Canada for four years before becoming an PR, the four years can be accumulated into half, which is two years, regarding citizenship application? Previously, I thought the time accumulation could be to a maximum of one year. However, thoughout the entire Citizenship Act, the word "maximum" does not even appear.

Hi,

the maximum you can claim is one year. No matter how long u lived in canada before becoming PR.I have not read the citizenship act but when u fill the form for citizenship, it is mentioned there.

Question: from ur time line, it seems that u didnt get the passport request and just showed up at Buffalo when the status is changed to "Medical results received". Am i correct?

Many thanks

Regards

newlooks
Old Jul 19th 2005, 8:49 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope as the maximum one can accumulate for residence in Canada prior to becoming a PR is 1 year only. You are a student yes? Then do the math please:

- you must accumulate 1,095 days (3 years) in Canada **within 4 years immediately preceding citizenship application**

- it means the total period of time you can use is only 4 years and there is no mathematical possibility to fit into above 4 years period more than 1 year of residency from period prior to becoming PR.

This period of **4 years immediately preceding citizenship application** mathematically sets the possibility of 1 year accumulation from the time prior to PR to a maximum of 1 year (as one half of two years period).

Originally Posted by macoy

Grant of citizenship

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jul 19th 2005 at 8:51 am.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newlooks
Hi,

the maximum you can claim is one year. No matter how long u lived in canada before becoming PR.I have not read the citizenship act but when u fill the form for citizenship, it is mentioned there.

Question: from ur time line, it seems that u didnt get the passport request and just showed up at Buffalo when the status is changed to "Medical results received". Am i correct?

Many thanks

Regards

newlooks
sorry, I forgot to include that timeline, see the updated one, please
Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Nope as the maximum one can accumulate for residence in Canada prior to becoming a PR is 1 year only. You are a student yes? Then do the math please:

- you must accumulate 1,095 days (3 years) in Canada **within 4 years immediately preceding citizenship application**

- it means the total period of time you can use is only 4 years and there is no mathematical possibility to fit into above 4 years period more than 1 year of residency from period prior to becoming PR.

This period of **4 years immediately preceding citizenship application** mathematically sets the possibility of 1 year accumulation from the time prior to PR to a maximum of 1 year (as one half of two years period).

hehe, sorry about this silly question. I was confused with the info and did not do the math.