Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Experts help needed. Change in situation.

Experts help needed. Change in situation.

Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Jenna31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experts help needed. Change in situation.

My husband (the Canadian) is submitting our application for the family class on Monday. He resides in Canada, I am a U.S. Citizen. We are doing the outside spousal sponsorship, with me staying in the states until approved.

He had to make some changes on employment part of the spousal forms, because he just became unemployed on January 18th. I'm a bit nervous about submitting the application since he isn't working. He has been employed for most of the year this year, except for two months in the summer.

Before that, he had a steady work history, always working during the past five years. (Even if it was at a few different places.) In April of 2004, he had to quit his job of three + years. He looked for work and was working at a seasonal place where his contract lasted until december, and he had a job arranged immediately after that contract ended, but was just let go due to shortage of work because the business is new.

He has a very substantial amount of money in the bank (thousands), and is staying with his parents right now to save money before moving out and getting an apartment before I get up there.

Will we be approved? I work here in the states in retail, although it is part-time right now, and have worked at my job for well over a year.

We have his 2003 option c print out, which is the most recent we can get. That's all it says to provide in the guide. I was thinking of having him include some copies of his paychecks and a statement of his savings/checking from the bank.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Jenna
Old Jan 29th 2005, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Experts help needed. Change in situation.

Originally Posted by Jenna31
My husband (the Canadian) is submitting our application for the family class on Monday. He resides in Canada, I am a U.S. Citizen. We are doing the outside spousal sponsorship, with me staying in the states until approved.

He had to make some changes on employment part of the spousal forms, because he just became unemployed on January 18th. I'm a bit nervous about submitting the application since he isn't working. He has been employed for most of the year this year, except for two months in the summer.

Before that, he had a steady work history, always working during the past five years. (Even if it was at a few different places.) In April of 2004, he had to quit his job of three + years. He looked for work and was working at a seasonal place where his contract lasted until december, and he had a job arranged immediately after that contract ended, but was just let go due to shortage of work because the business is new.

He has a very substantial amount of money in the bank (thousands), and is staying with his parents right now to save money before moving out and getting an apartment before I get up there.

Will we be approved? I work here in the states in retail, although it is part-time right now, and have worked at my job for well over a year.

We have his 2003 option c print out, which is the most recent we can get. That's all it says to provide in the guide. I was thinking of having him include some copies of his paychecks and a statement of his savings/checking from the bank.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Jenna
Hi Jenna,

Don't worry too much about it, for a spousal application there is no need to prove anything in terms of money. Include the payslips anyway, maybe a bank statement as well, and you could also think of including a written agreement from his parents that says you will be able to live there for the first 6 months or so. Doesn;t mean you have to and that is probably the overboard approach. Even if you were both unemployed students, your application would still most likely be approved...