Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Experienced plumber from London moving to BC

Experienced plumber from London moving to BC

Old Feb 16th 2013, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Tommy2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experienced plumber from London moving to BC

Hello there

Does anyone know the difference between applying for the BC PNP and the skilled trade worker class? They seem similar and I am wondering if one is better/easier than the other to gain entry in Canada.

Also looking at websites, http://itabc.ca/challengers/overview and www.cic.gc.ca, am I right to believe that I cannot apply for the skilled trade worker class unless I have a Canadian job offer/sponsor or have a certificate of qualification in my chosen NOC (7251) issued by BC?

On the ITA website it seems that in May 2013 they will be changing the boundaries and allowing foreign workers to take an exam to gain this certificate of qualification without a Canadian/US passport.

Do you think they will allow overseas workers to take the exam from their home country or would they have to come to Canada to complete the exam?

On the Cic website dated 19th Dec 2012 they state “The assessment of foreign educational credentials will provide prospective newcomers with a more realistic understanding of how their credentials compare to education standards in Canada. It will also give them the opportunity to upgrade their education prior to coming to Canada if they choose”.

Does this mean that in May 2013 between these two organisations I could convert/transfer my qualifications to the Canadian equivalent and/or take the exam to acquire the Canadian certificate of qualification?

Any information about th above would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Tom Murphy
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experienced plumber from London moving to BC

For BC PNP, you'd need a job offer, whereas that's not required for the FSTP (as you've said, you either need a job offer or your qualifications recognised, not both). That's the main difference.

And no need for a Canadian passport to get your qualifications recognised at the moment either.

HTH.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 6:46 am
Just Joined

Hey HTH

That really does sound promising. I had an email from the ITA that only in May 2013 they would allow non Candian/US passport holders to take the test.

If you know of any websites or organisations I could contact in with regards to this just to confirm and find out how I do this, that would be more than appreciated, it would really help my cause out.

Thanks again

Tommy

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
For BC PNP, you'd need a job offer, whereas that's not required for the FSTP (as you've said, you either need a job offer or your qualifications recognised, not both). That's the main difference.

And no need for a Canadian passport to get your qualifications recognised at the moment either.

HTH.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Have a hunt on the forum. There are certainly loads of people on here that have managed to work as a plumber in BC well before becoming a Canadian citizen, so hopefully you'll find some relevant threads.

Good luck.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Ok

Cheers for that

T

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Have a hunt on the forum. There are certainly loads of people on here that have managed to work as a plumber in BC well before becoming a Canadian citizen, so hopefully you'll find some relevant threads.

Good luck.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:17 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Skilled_Trades-Canada

You would also need to know this
http://www.bccodes.ca/plumbing-code....odes_2012_view

http://www.welcomebc.ca/local/wbc/do...es/plumber.pdf

You don't need citizenship to challenge the exam. The eligibility may change to 'legally entitled to work in Canada.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

BCIT has this course which helps with Red Seal Exam.

Not done it. But I will look at doing it once I move out to Vancouver.

See the link for more info.

If I remember correctly, you have to prove your 9630hrs of experience first. It was well over a year ago when I called them about this course. Best to double check though.

Piping, Plumbing, Gas
PPGS 0220 - Plumbing Interprovincial Training

http://www.bcit.ca/study/courses/ppgs0220