Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Experienced Offshore Worker Needing Help/Advice on Emigration

Experienced Offshore Worker Needing Help/Advice on Emigration

Old Feb 24th 2014, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

jdl848 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Experienced Offshore Worker Needing Help/Advice on Emigration

Good Evening/Morning all,

I am SERIOUSLY considering emigration to Canada and would like any advice/ tips on the process and what I can do to up my chances please.

I am a 30 year old married father of two young children (3 and 6 months) who works offshore for Schlumberger (huge international oil and gas company) and before that served 12 years in the Royal Air Force/Army as a Mechanical/Hydraulic Aircraft Engineering Technician. My better half is an auxiliary nurse (5 years experience but not the degree) and so I suppose what I am asking A) whether these jobs are in demand for ex pats in Canada and B) what the best way of going about looking for the right job necessary for securing a permanent citizenship (I realise it will take many years to get this).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:24 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experienced Offshore Worker Needing Help/Advice on Emigration

Originally Posted by jdl848
Good Evening/Morning all,

I am SERIOUSLY considering emigration to Canada and would like any advice/ tips on the process and what I can do to up my chances please.

I am a 30 year old married father of two young children (3 and 6 months) who works offshore for Schlumberger (huge international oil and gas company) and before that served 12 years in the Royal Air Force/Army as a Mechanical/Hydraulic Aircraft Engineering Technician. My better half is an auxiliary nurse (5 years experience but not the degree) and so I suppose what I am asking A) whether these jobs are in demand for ex pats in Canada and B) what the best way of going about looking for the right job necessary for securing a permanent citizenship (I realise it will take many years to get this).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Hello and welcome to BE!

There are more than 50 routes to gaining Permanent Residence of Canada and you more than likely qualify for a few of them. Have a quick read of the wiki so you can see what different ways there are.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...an_Immigration

Do you have a specific Province you are drawn to?

I believe you may qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker (Trades) program so it may be worth looking at that as well - be aware though, that current processing is 25 months, though you would be able to get a work permit once you have received initial approval.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...plications.asp

7315 Aircraft mechanics and aircraft inspectors

If you can get the offer of a job, you could come over on a temporary work permit or you could also apply for Provincial Nomination (if you can find an employer willing to nominate you) and get a work permit once you have nomination approval, however, I would recommend that you try to get an application in for PR before January 2015 as the skilled worker streams are changing from then and it will likely be much harder to get in.

Is there any chance you could get a transfer with the company you are with now? I realise you said you used to be a technician, but what is it you are doing on the oil rigs at the moment?

Hope I haven't scared you off!

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 24th 2014 at 5:31 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Any way off getting an internal transfer through Schlumberger to their Newfoundland office ?
Old Feb 25th 2014, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Hi Siouxie and nldfc, thank you for the speedy reply.

I am not drawn to any specific province, although one with a good opportunity to find and oil and gas job would be preferred.

I may be under the headings of:
8232 Oil and gas well drillers, servicers, testers and related workers;
7312 Heavy-duty equipment mechanics
as I am a Mechanical Engineering Technician ( currently studying for a HND in Mech Eng via online learning at Teesside Uni.

I currently work on seismic survey vessels as opposed to the rigs, I work with hydraulics (very proficient), pneumatics (very proficient), servicing cranes and heavy winches/machinery, electronics (1 year experience), welding (1 years experience), amongst other things.

So what is the first step in the process and how much is it likely to cost?
Old Feb 25th 2014, 6:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The first step will depend on the visa route, as will the cost although generally the visa fees will be around $2500, plus approx £1000 or so for the medicals, and another couple if hundred for miscellaneous stuff like a police cert and courier fees. You also need a certain amount in your bank account to get PR, again depending on the visa but roughly $21k for a family of 4.

That's for the actual application, then for moving costs have a search of the forum, this thread is a good place to start - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341

HTH, good luck.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

So do you have to have an Canadian Bank account?
May sound silly but can I keep my UK ones and I also have a US one as my company currently offer a credit union and I get a US bank account for that?

Also does salary count for the total money you need? e.g I have $15k but earn above national average in terms of salary?

And finally, how do finances vs standard of living equate i.e how much you get per dollar to the uk pound etc or is it expensive to have a good standard of living in Canada?
Old Feb 26th 2014, 6:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No Canadian bank account is needed, you can pay in GBP, and yes, you can keep your UK one usually. In fact, general forum consensus is to always keep it if you can - forum members in the past have returned to the UK and then struggled as they have no UK credit rating anymore!

No, you can't use salary, it has to be cash in the bank. Your $15k wouldn't be enough for proof of funds so you'd need to save more, and do be aware that the proof of funds amount is considered by most to be far too low, as you'll have seen from the thread I linked to. Having said that though, which visa route are you thinking of?

Re: cost of living, as a very general rule it's about the same as in in the UK, although recently on the forum most people seem to think that Canada is a bit more expensive. Did you read this Wiki article? http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Cost_of_Living_in_Canada. You could also search the forum as there are loads of threads on the subject.

HTH, good luck.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 7:54 am
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdl848
Hi Siouxie and nldfc, thank you for the speedy reply.

I am not drawn to any specific province, although one with a good opportunity to find and oil and gas job would be preferred.

I may be under the headings of:
8232 Oil and gas well drillers, servicers, testers and related workers;
7312 Heavy-duty equipment mechanics
as I am a Mechanical Engineering Technician ( currently studying for a HND in Mech Eng via online learning at Teesside Uni.

I currently work on seismic survey vessels as opposed to the rigs, I work with hydraulics (very proficient), pneumatics (very proficient), servicing cranes and heavy winches/machinery, electronics (1 year experience), welding (1 years experience), amongst other things.

So what is the first step in the process and how much is it likely to cost?
Jdl848,

I'm a former geophysicist working on seismic vessels (Fugro). If you're looking for the same sort of work, you should probably consider settling around Nova Scotia / Newfoundland sort of area since most offshore companies have their bases there (probably best to do your own research for employers you're interested in). Alternatively, with the welding, pneumatics, hydraulics, etc experience, you might be able to find work in the Alberta oil sands too. Also, do you think your RAF experience would allow you to work with helicopters? If so, that could also be an option (e.g. helicopter tech supporting mineral exploration industry). As the others have mentioned, there are numerous immigration streams and knowing the sort of area you want to go for will help with choosing an appropriate stream.

Cat
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by catpea33
Jdl848,

I'm a former geophysicist working on seismic vessels (Fugro). If you're looking for the same sort of work, you should probably consider settling around Nova Scotia / Newfoundland sort of area since most offshore companies have their bases there (probably best to do your own research for employers you're interested in). Alternatively, with the welding, pneumatics, hydraulics, etc experience, you might be able to find work in the Alberta oil sands too. Also, do you think your RAF experience would allow you to work with helicopters? If so, that could also be an option (e.g. helicopter tech supporting mineral exploration industry). As the others have mentioned, there are numerous immigration streams and knowing the sort of area you want to go for will help with choosing an appropriate stream.

Cat

Did you keep the same job or did you have to be sponsored by a company based in Canada?

Yes, I worked on Puma and Merlin helicopters for a total of 5 years so I don't see why not.

Also, I am looking at the oil and gas jobs and you need to have the right to work in Canada before the even look at your CV (understandable, but frustrating when trying to emigrate!!). So on that, how do I go about getting a company to sponsor me if I need to be a resident?

Cheers in advance,

Jamie