Expereince vs Education

Old Apr 24th 2015, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expereince vs Education

[QUOTE=beckiwoo;11627656]
Originally Posted by kswoosh

It is entirely possible, especially in the UK, that you could end up in a skilled position without the specific degree for that job. Myself being a prime example - I worked as an Admin Assistant, which based on NOC codes is skilled, and have never had a day's admin training in my life.
QUOTE]

That is very true for the UK (which is great) - on the job experience and work based qualifications are the norm but unfortunately not out here. Its all about education, education, education
they do love regulation and certificates for everything over here.

kswoosh not all "skilled" jobs require specific training have you looked at the NOC for admin assistant and the requirements

Completion of secondary school is usually required.
Completion of a one- or two-year college or other program for administrative assistants or secretaries
or
Previous clerical experience is required.

i guess you finished secondary school as you have a degree. so check mark there.

you also have previous experience in the job so another check mark.

I see no reason why you are concerned as you clearly meet the requirements for this NOC. unless you are applying under 1311 or 1434 in which case you need to meet the requirements for these noc's.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

No, I appreciate your point. Admin Asst is one of the 'blurry' ones that, personally, I wouldn't consider skilled, but CIC/ESDC clearly do.

FWIW, I applied under 1311, as that is what I have put my current job under.

I don't meet the educational requirements of 1311, but my job doesn't fit any of the other NOC codes/descriptions. I can barely find anything that matches one of my daily tasks/responsibilities, let alone 'most'.

50% of the 1311 tasks was the best I could find. And I haven't been lazy, I've spent months and months looking at this, asking HR and recruiters in Canada, emailing around etc. No-one seems to know because what I do is so niche.

I'll just have to see what they say, but if it's not 1311, then I haven't got a clue, tbh.

ESDC said they would put it under 1311, too. And I specifically made a point of the education requirements for my job.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

johntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond reputejohntheScot has a reputation beyond repute

well good luck with your application. I hope it works out for you.