Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Exit/Entry to Canada while WP extension in progress?

Wikiposts

Exit/Entry to Canada while WP extension in progress?

Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

cashymac is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Exit/Entry to Canada while WP extension in progress?

Hello All,

I think I know the answer to my question but thought I'd put it out there for some feedback anyway...

I currently have an IT Work Permit which expires June 18th. I applied for an extension which was received to Vegreville April 23rd but as far as I can tell not yet being processed. If I were to leave Canada to go to the UK (family matter) for say, 2 weeks - What is the likelyhood of

A) My being allowed back into Canada (as my status would be current WP expired and extension application not yet processed). Note that under my current circumstances it doesn't matter too much if I am actually allowed to continue to work or not. I am more worried that I would not be granted access back into Canada at all!
B)My current extension application being scrapped as they think I have left for good?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
C.

Last edited by cashymac; Jun 7th 2005 at 2:38 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:44 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exit/Entry to Canada while WP extension in progress?

Stay put and don't leave. Vegreville is already processing applications received April 15th.

Originally Posted by cashymac
Hello All,

I think I know the answer to my question but thought I'd put it out there for some feedback anyway...

I currently have an IT Work Permit which expires June 18th. I applied for an extension which was received to Vegreville April 23rd but as far as I can tell not yet being processed. If I were to leave Canada to go to the UK (family matter) for say, 2 weeks - What is the likelyhood of

A) My being allowed back into Canada (as my status would be current WP expired and extension application not yet processed). Note that under my current circumstances it doesn't matter too much if I am actually allowed to continue to work or not. I am more worried that I would not be granted access back into Canada at all!
B)My current extension application being scrapped as they think I have left for good?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
C.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 2:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Stay put and don't leave. Vegreville is already processing applications received April 15th.

Would it be a problem if he arrived back in Canada before June 18th (when WP is scheduled to expire)?

Jeremy
Old Jun 7th 2005, 4:25 pm

Again - it is too risky as Vegreville is using one step process and they may for example need more info or verify something. If they call for any reason and find out that he is out of country then ... oops. Why risk it, it is just a week or so away.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Would it be a problem if he arrived back in Canada before June 18th (when WP is scheduled to expire)?

Jeremy
Old Jun 7th 2005, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

cashymac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again,

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I know it's *just* a week or so away but then I have to wait for the processing...

Last year when I applied for an extension (which I DID get btw) I sent it around May 10th, the e-cas then said it was being referred to Vancouver office (this was approx beginning of August) as they has some stuff to clarify (which they did via phone call early September) and then I was issued the WP mid-sept. So I basically waited almost 4.5 months for the extension!

I'm afraid that it may again take so long as I have a slightly different from normal work situation and so questions may arise.

So I guess it's if I took the chance on leaving for a couple of weeks then I would have the problem of not knowing what to tell the immigration at the airport when I was returning... :scared:

Caroline.

P.S - FYI; My partner also has a WP (spousal) which expires Jun 18. He has recently been overseas for 10 days, returning June 1st. He showed the airport immigration his *almost* expired WP and they were happy with that. He even told them he was applying for an extension to it and they said "good luck with that, I'm sure you'll get it!"

Last edited by cashymac; Jun 7th 2005 at 5:50 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 11:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Again - it is too risky as Vegreville is using one step process and they may for example need more info or verify something. If they call for any reason and find out that he is out of country then ... oops. Why risk it, it is just a week or so away.

Is it obligatory to be physically in Canada when the WP extension is completed?

Jeremy
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:08 am
Mission Accomplished !

bubbleface will become famous soon enoughbubbleface will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
I thought so too! If the current WP has expired and the new one is still in process, the person has to remain inside Canada.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 2:38 am

When in Canada one applies for extension of stay and/or change of conditions - if one leaves Canada then there in no extension of stay to apply for anymore and application for new visa or permit should be filed outside Canada.

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:21 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by bubbleface
I thought so too! If the current WP has expired and the new one is still in process, the person has to remain inside Canada.
I'm not talking about a situation where someone's WP has expired. I'm talking about a situation where the existing WP is still valid but the new one is being processed.

But at the very least it would be important to return to Canada before the WP expired.

Jeremy