Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Exciting and inconvenient - application due to be processed early

Exciting and inconvenient - application due to be processed early

Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Osteopath is on a distinguished road
Default Exciting and inconvenient - application due to be processed early

18 months earlier than the expected March 2010, I've been asked for an update to my application details of August 2006, which was one of the last of the old-style application process.

Incovenient? Started a new business not expecting to need to move on until 2010/11 at the earliest and I don't want to pull out and lose my investment of time and money. Ideally I'd like to gain immigration and then return more and more frequently building up my work in BC, while decreasing my presence to a growing business in the UK - I could then in time either sell my business or gain an income from it.

I do have colleagues in BC who want to offer me regular paid consultancy work and allow me to come and go from UK-Canada, but I'm not convinced the AEO works this way - the AEO would help as I don't want to sell C$11k out of my business and risk losing everything, especially in the current financial climate.

So my questions are two-fold:
1. has anyone done something similar, as in working from both countries?
2. if I wanted to go the AEO route, what are the bare minimum requirements for hours worked and money earned if it supposed to be a "full-time" position, or, is there another option?

Thanks in advance,

Marc
Old Oct 12th 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Madhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to all
Default Re: Exciting and inconvenient - application due to be processed early

Marc

Given the expected changes to the immigration system, I would be very cautious about passing up the chance to get a PR visa now. There are some ways that you can defer taking up full time residency in Canada. Firstly, you have a year from your medicals in which to 'land'. Even when you have landed, you only have to spend 3 out of any 5 year period living in Canada in order to keep your PR. Allowing for the the time it will take to process your PR application, you should have at least 3 years to play with.

Whatever you choose, best of luck.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Osteopath is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Exciting and inconvenient - application due to be processed early

Thanks for your thoughts. 2 to 3 years before moving lock, stock and barrel would be perfect.