Excessive Demand Plan

Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Excessive Demand Plan

Hiya,
Perhaps we are getting ahead of ourselves here, but as you know we are expecting a response to the request for more info on our wee guy with Aspergers Syndrome. We sent this info off in December so are expecting a desision in the near future as they said they would get back to us in 3 months. The response we are expecting, looking at others in a similar position, is one of 'excessive demand'

He requires no extra help at school apart from a social group together with other kids, attends no speech therapy and hasnt done since he started school and has no input from any other professional. We have had, as requested in december, a psychological assessment including an IQ test which raised no concerns at all.

Would any of you who have been in a similar position, be prepared to share what was in your 'excessive demand letter' and if possible what was in your plan. I appreciate that you may not wish this to be posted on the open forum, so a PM may be more suitable.

I'm just a bit confused as to what to put in a plan when he has no input from any services....does that make sense???

Look forward to hearing from you all.

lnsy
Old Mar 29th 2011, 9:14 pm
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Excessive Demand Plan

PM sent!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skimom
PM sent!
got it thanx ++++

I'll be back in touch

lns
Old Mar 29th 2011, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Done a bit more digging in BE and eyes are now cross eyed.

I have managed to find the plans that JoePublic and Luvmykids discussed for their own cases on various threads, so I'll start with them. Its at times like this that you realise what a great resource BE is

My main problem is this...given that wee man gets no support how do I formulate a plan around nothing? I could understand if he needs...say Speech Therapy, I could then cost out how much sessions would be and pay for them ourselves for example.
I could understand if we felt he needed input from a ed psych...i could cost that out. Same goes for respite care etc.
The ONLY thing he gets 'extra' is the opportunity to take part in a wee social group run by the school. This group is entirely voluntary and is attended by a wide range of kids. His needs are entirley taken care of within mainstream school with support from the teacher just like the other kids.

In the meantime we are going to
    Anything else that is glaringly obvious that we have forotten???

Head hurts....must sleep

lins
    Old Mar 29th 2011, 11:42 pm
    Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

The glaringly obvious thing you may have overlooked is that they won't ask you for anything!

Presumably there were details taken at your meds? Maybe they'll hav figured out that he's not going to cost nothing extra !

Fingers crossed for you
    Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:25 am
    BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
    The glaringly obvious thing you may have overlooked is that they won't ask you for anything!

Presumably there were details taken at your meds? Maybe they'll hav figured out that he's not going to cost nothing extra !

Fingers crossed for you
    Zoe, you are right and you raise a point that I discussed with OH this very morning, but looking at info posted by luvmykids(i think) BC automatically deem every child on the sprectrum to cost them $16,000 a year and therefore exceeds the $4800 threshold.
    We did, at the medical, explain to the DMP that Andrew needed very little extra at school and she thought they wouldnt be too concerned about him.
    We submitted an ed psych report (not including IQ report though) school report cards at the time of the medicals, and have since sent a full psych assessment but I dont think this is going to sway them if they have this blanket approach to Autism/Aspergers. GGrrrr.

There was someone on the forum that started their plan with....'I think there has been an error....' when they felt the excessive demand was unjustified, but I cant remember who it was.

I appreciate your support Zoe.
    Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:29 am
    Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

I can't help with the plan Linsy - heck, I don't even have children - I just wanted to wish you all the best. Andrew's a lucky chap to have you fighting his corner!
    Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:08 am
    BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
    I can't help with the plan Linsy - heck, I don't even have children - I just wanted to wish you all the best. Andrew's a lucky chap to have you fighting his corner!
    Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:37 pm
    Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of

We were in the same situation as you and in the end our "plan" was only one page long plus financial info. Our whole response was to show - in detail and over many pages of reports/personal statements and so on - that they were wrong in their conclusions! And as you know, it worked! (If you saw the photo that Robin (the Gadget family) posted of the file she sent in to CIC then you will have a good idea of what ours looked like!)

The first thing I did was photocopy the excessive demand letter and go through it point by point commenting when I thought they were drawing the wrong conclusions and pointing to the appropriate attached reports to back up my comments. This doct was a lot shorter by the end of the process when I had calmed down a bit (!) but we did send in a version of it.

We went back to the ed.psych. and paediatrician we had seen previously and they sent new reports, explaining why their previous reports had not been interpreted correctly. I got letters from my son's teachers and principal from his previous school in Canada, his primary and secondary schools here; his Scout leader; his ski instructor; family friends; babysitter; typing tutor. Make a list of anyone you can think of to ask to write a statement for you.

lns, I know we have talked about this before and I will let you see what we did. I'm afraid I think you are right to start preparing for the excessive demand letter but, as you know, if you can prove Andrew will not actually cost more than "the average Canadian" (which you will be able to do), then there will be no grounds to refuse him entry.

When we got our letter, I found it hard to believe they were talking about my son as the child they described was nothing like him!

You just have to look on it as another hoop to jump through and remember that it will all be worth it in the end!

Keep calm (if you can!) and you know that you will get a lot of help from people on here who have already gone through this.

PM on its way, too!
    Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:39 pm
    BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Skimom
    We were in the same situation as you and in the end our "plan" was only one page long plus financial info. Our whole response was to show - in detail and over many pages of reports/personal statements and so on - that they were wrong in their conclusions! And as you know, it worked! (If you saw the photo that Robin (the Gadget family) posted of the file she sent in to CIC then you will have a good idea of what ours looked like!)

The first thing I did was photocopy the excessive demand letter and go through it point by point commenting when I thought they were drawing the wrong conclusions and pointing to the appropriate attached reports to back up my comments. This doct was a lot shorter by the end of the process when I had calmed down a bit (!) but we did send in a version of it.

We went back to the ed.psych. and paediatrician we had seen previously and they sent new reports, explaining why their previous reports had not been interpreted correctly. I got letters from my son's teachers and principal from his previous school in Canada, his primary and secondary schools here; his Scout leader; his ski instructor; family friends; babysitter; typing tutor. Make a list of anyone you can think of to ask to write a statement for you.

lns, I know we have talked about this before and I will let you see what we did. I'm afraid I think you are right to start preparing for the excessive demand letter but, as you know, if you can prove Andrew will not actually cost more than "the average Canadian" (which you will be able to do), then there will be no grounds to refuse him entry.

When we got our letter, I found it hard to believe they were talking about my son as the child they described was nothing like him!

You just have to look on it as another hoop to jump through and remember that it will all be worth it in the end!

Keep calm (if you can!) and you know that you will get a lot of help from people on here who have already gone through this.

PM on its way, too!
    Thankyou...got the PM. I was in today...all day cos of the crutches so not sure how I missed you. My mobile has been diverted so you wont get me on that. I'll PM you my home number.

You are of course right, just another hoop to go through, look forward to speaking to you tommorrow.

Thanks again
    xxx
    Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:52 am
    BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Will his individual teachers provide a letter describing his progress compared to that of a child without Aspergers?

What about 'character' letters from friends and other familt members? I submitted several concerning Max, including one from each of his 'employers', you know...paper round staff, the roller-blading leader where he 'stewards', neighbours, friends....about 7-8 in all.

At least by asking you will be better prepared if they do send an 'excessive demand' letter. We weren't sent one...amazingly!

that you don't get one.....
    Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:59 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Awww I am loving this thread

All the help and support you guys give each other, is heart warming.

Good luck lins. Hope all goes well for you. You seem like a woman on a mission, so I am sure you will get a positive out come.
    Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:14 pm
    BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Robin (The Gadget family)
    Will his individual teachers provide a letter describing his progress compared to that of a child without Aspergers?

What about 'character' letters from friends and other familt members? I submitted several concerning Max, including one from each of his 'employers', you know...paper round staff, the roller-blading leader where he 'stewards', neighbours, friends....about 7-8 in all.

At least by asking you will be better prepared if they do send an 'excessive demand' letter. We weren't sent one...amazingly!

that you don't get one.....
    Robin,
    Thanx so much for your reply. Was on the phone to skimom when your reply came through.
    I am formulating a plan based on refuting whatever they throw at us, by providing refs from family, friends, even the parish priest who sees andrew at church every week. I'll also get a reference from the after school club he attends.
    I feel we have a strong case behind us and we will do as much as we can until the actual letter arrives. Once it does (if it does) arrive I will then re-approach the school ed psych with the CIC findings, the ed psych that did the evaluation and his teachers at school to get them to read the report and ask them to comment and support us.
    We are just about to email the local schools in Vnacouver and get costing from the fee paying faith school incase public school doesnt work out (which it will...but we better have a back up plan for them)

I feel so much better now knowing i can actually do something ratjher than let it happen to us. Feeling empowered!!!!!

Thanks again for all your words of support and help. I have taken everything onboard and perhaps once it is all over I'll write a wiki article on it with all the hints and tips we have shared with one another to help those behind us.

Thanks all.

lns xxx
    Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:15 pm
    Here for now

Go for it, Linsy! It will definitely all come right in the end!
    Old Apr 5th 2011, 7:33 pm
    Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

If all the wee man is getting extra is "social group" then he could be "assisted" by going to the *free* "boys and girls" club or boy scouts or something else similar.

I suspect all they are looking for is like skimom already did, check boxes to be ticked to cover their behinds. So break it down piece by piece and provide a bit of paperwork to cover each point. e.g. letters from teachers et cetera

Bear in mind that these people are basically civil servants. If you are able to provide "evidence" in the form of paperwork to tick the checkboxes you are good to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.