Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Ex Wives you got to love them!!!!!

Ex Wives you got to love them!!!!!

Old Jan 25th 2009, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice
Default Ex Wives you got to love them!!!!!

Hi all

emm where to start.

I am after some advice on getting a working visa for my nineteen year old son from my previous marriage. When I was applying for my skill worker visa my ex-wife would not let me put my son, who was only fifteen at the time, on the application. It is a long story but we don’t get on and she thought I would be taking him away from her. Now she and my son have fallen out and she has kicked him out of the house. I have permanent residency in Canada and want to know if it is possible to get a visa that would allow him to come and live with us in Canada. I know he can come out on a tourist visa and visit but he has nowhere now in the UK so we would like him to come for more than 3 months.

I doubt if this is a unique situation so if anybody has any ideas it would be appreciated.

Regards
Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:18 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex Wives you got to love them!!!!!

Hi

Originally Posted by Winston Green
Hi all

emm where to start.

I am after some advice on getting a working visa for my nineteen year old son from my previous marriage. When I was applying for my skill worker visa my ex-wife would not let me put my son, who was only fifteen at the time, on the application. It is a long story but we don’t get on and she thought I would be taking him away from her. Now she and my son have fallen out and she has kicked him out of the house. I have permanent residency in Canada and want to know if it is possible to get a visa that would allow him to come and live with us in Canada. I know he can come out on a tourist visa and visit but he has nowhere now in the UK so we would like him to come for more than 3 months.

I doubt if this is a unique situation so if anybody has any ideas it would be appreciated.

Regards
1. Important question, did he have the Immigration medical exam? If so you can sponsor him, if not you are out of luck. He could apply for a Bunac, which would only give him a years work in Canada.

PMM
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Important question, did he have the Immigration medical exam? If so you can sponsor him, if not you are out of luck. He could apply for a Bunac, which would only give him a years work in Canada.

PMM
No. ex would not let him come for the medical. Have asked about BUNAC but doubt if he could get one as most of this years quota have been allocated.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No. ex would not let him come for the medical.
He was 15, you say ... she had no legal right to veto him having a medical.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
He was 15, you say ... she had no legal right to veto him having a medical.
True: but then she had no legal right to stop me seeing him. However never turning up or being where we agreed to meet never stop her hampering that either.

Like I said Ex wives you got to love them!!!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

hope you can get something sorted yes ex's a true pain!!

can i just ask how did you mange this with CHC? purely selfish question from me

situation similar to yours but we are terrifed CHC are going to turnaround and insist on meds for 2 kids which my husband has not seen and has had no contact with in years

( same story he would travel by air and road thousands of miles to visit and when he got there she would have taken them away somewhere, she did this many times)

we have done a notorised statement saying no contact and realsing that we can never sponsor etc but still it is bothering me

would be most interested in your story of how CHC handled your son not having a med

huge luck
I would say still go for BUNAC nothing to lose they do get cancelations and I guess a few will drop out due to credit crunch
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

forgot to say he can come for 6 months on a tourist visa if a brit then extend

I have just got another years extension as a visitor all very simple
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

True: but then she had no legal right to stop me seeing him. However never turning up or being where we agreed to meet never stop her hampering that either.
At age 15 he was old enough to travel himself (to see you, do a medical etc.), and if he really wanted to move out, a court would have listened to him. At age 16 he could have moved away on his own accord.

If he didn't do a medical, didn't you sign something acknowledging that you would never be able to sponsor him?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
At age 15 he was old enough to travel himself (to see you, do a medical etc.), and if he really wanted to move out, a court would have listened to him. At age 16 he could have moved away on his own accord.

If he didn't do a medical, didn't you sign something acknowledging that you would never be able to sponsor him?

Yes we signed the form/letter saying we would not sponsor him.

Whilst he may have been old enough to travel at 15 how does he get the the airport if his mum won't take him. Most airlines won't take unaccompanied miners. Still that is not the issue here. I am not bothered what happened in the past.

I just wondered if anyone had had any success in appealing against/challenging the wont sponsor your children. If so how they when about it.

In response to the post by Chumbley they did not bat an eyelid that he had not taken the medical and wasn't accompaning us, so don't worry on that count.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:20 am
JAJ
Retired

Yes we signed the form/letter saying we would not sponsor him.

Whilst he may have been old enough to travel at 15 how does he get the the airport if his mum won't take him. Most airlines won't take unaccompanied miners. Still that is not the issue here. I am not bothered what happened in the past.

I just wondered if anyone had had any success in appealing against/challenging the wont sponsor your children. If so how they when about it.
I think the point I'm trying to make is that he could have done a medical. His mother had no legal right to stop him and had she used violence to restrain him, she would have been in trouble.

At age 15 he was old enough to leave the house and use the public transport network to visit the medical provider.

The important distinction is that even though she might have had a say in not giving him a visa while he is under 16 (although a court order could have overruled that, had you or he sought one), she had no legal right to prevent him doing a medical.

So you made the decision to migrate to Canada regardless (without resolving this issue at the time), and waive any right to sponsor him later on. As far as I am aware the Family Class is now legally closed to you ... find an immigration lawyer if you want to know more, but don't be surprised if the answer is the same.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...p#not_eligible

The only options I can see are either looking for the discretion of the Minster (very difficult) or looking to see if he can qualify on his own merits to immigrate (including study-to-PR options and Provincial Nomination).
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

What about the possibility of a student visa??
Obviously if your son has any experience with jobs on the "under pressure list" he could apply for a skilled worker visa, but if that wasnt applicable i am guessing he could get the temp study visa and then after study could try to get temp work permit leading to PR eventually. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/student.asp this site is all about the study visa process.
I am not going this route so i am not 100% sure if this is a possible option, i'm sure someone will be along to correct if i am wrong, but potentially an option all the same.
Good luck with getting your son to Canada, i hope you find a solution.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
I think the point I'm trying to make is that he could have done a medical. His mother had no legal right to stop him and had she used violence to restrain him, she would have been in trouble.

At age 15 he was old enough to leave the house and use the public transport network to visit the medical provider.

The important distinction is that even though she might have had a say in not giving him a visa while he is under 16 (although a court order could have overruled that, had you or he sought one), she had no legal right to prevent him doing a medical.

So you made the decision to migrate to Canada regardless (without resolving this issue at the time), and waive any right to sponsor him later on. As far as I am aware the Family Class is now legally closed to you ... find an immigration lawyer if you want to know more, but don't be surprised if the answer is the same.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...p#not_eligible

The only options I can see are either looking for the discretion of the Minster (very difficult) or looking to see if he can qualify on his own merits to immigrate (including study-to-PR options and Provincial Nomination).
I had enough problems getting to a medical in the time scale given. I am sure if I had tried harder I could have snatch my son and brought him along too. Or he could have hitchhiked from Germany to Croyden. The fact that neither of us did that is irrelevant now I was just interested to see if anyone else had been in this situation and if so how they went about resolving it.

Thanks for the info and link. I will go down the routes you have suggested.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Could you try the community identified nova scotia provincial nominee programme? A person needs links to the community and also to convince authorities he will stay in NS, amongst other things. This might be possible with a dad in NS.

He could maybe come on a tourist visa for six months whilst it gets sorted, I know lots of people have done just that.

I think there is more info on the wiki, or your local Regional Development Agency (RDA) will be able to help you.

Good luck!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
Could you try the community identified nova scotia provincial nominee programme? A person needs links to the community and also to convince authorities he will stay in NS, amongst other things. This might be possible with a dad in NS.

He could maybe come on a tourist visa for six months whilst it gets sorted, I know lots of people have done just that.

I think there is more info on the wiki, or your local Regional Development Agency (RDA) will be able to help you.

Good luck!
Many thanks I have started looking into this as it does seem the best way forward.