Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Ex Military - Overseas Police Checks

Ex Military - Overseas Police Checks

Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:26 pm
FSW Cat 1

amrskipro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ex Military - Overseas Police Checks

Originally Posted by debbiem
oh, right. sorry, my mistake - I thought you were talking about overseas postings with a BFPO address such as (eg) Germany or BATUS, not op tours. Op tours are treated differently, hence why they (normally but you obviously got away with it) ask for a military police check to cover op tours/ detachments etc.
No I was including all BFPO addresses - I honestly did not think of it to be honest and it seems to have worked, if they were at all concerned then they would have asked for further checks and I would still be in stress mode rather than casually planning my flag pole journey.

Did not even consider RCMP checks (perhaps being an officer I just did not consider it - never had anything to do with them other than on behalf of my riflemen), perhaps an oversight but again one that they (CIC) were obviously not bothered by.

As far as asking CIC - your choice but I have always beena big believer in that if one does not ask one cannot be told 'no'. I mean imagine you get 'mr/s pedantic' the day you speak to them and then you are running around getting trying to get police checks from semi third world eastern european countries.

Good luck everyone.

Last edited by amrskipro; Aug 11th 2010 at 3:46 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by amrskipro
No I was including all BFPO addresses - I honestly did not think of it to be honest and it seems to have worked, if they were at all concerned then they would have asked for further checks and I would still be in stress mode rather than casually planning my flag pole journey.

Did not even consider RCMP checks (perhaps being an officer I just did not consider it - never had anything to do with them other than on behalf of my riflemen), perhaps an oversight but again one that they (CIC) were obviously not bothered by.

As far as asking CIC - your choice but I have always beena big believer in that if one does not ask one cannot be told 'no'. I mean imagine you get 'mr/s pedantic' the day you speak to them and then you are running around getting trying to get police checks from semi third world eastern european countries.

Good luck everyone.
you were lucky then! Both OH and I are/ were officers with SC clearance. hey ho. just depends who opens your envelope. we didn't ask anyone anything btw. we were asked to provide german police checks and translations because we had lived and served in different areas of germany both together and alone at different times in our careers, and after processing everything else they then asked us to provide military checks too at the last minute. it was all fine - just a faff and yet another time delay as we hadn't supplied them initially. it's quite likely they won't ask, but it's possible they will, with no other rationale but they can.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:35 pm
FSW Cat 1

amrskipro is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucky me/ us then. Hey you guys just landed too - we are already here and just planning a flag pole date/ US visit for the next fortnight.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by amrskipro
Lucky me/ us then. Hey you guys just landed too - we are already here and just planning a flag pole date/ US visit for the next fortnight.
It took me two months to identify a good weekend... you'd think after nearly 4 years waiting I'd have been a bit quicker off the mark.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Lincoln United Kingdom but hope to settle in Kamloops B.C
diablorouge is an unknown quantity at this point

Got the first of our police checks back today, the UK ones, in just over a week. Have to admit to being a bit surprised by this as I really did expect the Germans to be first in the mail box.
OH is still a serving Major (until December anyway) so she's chasing up our Service Police checks which should go smoothly, 25 years man and boy and they never caught me for owt
Old Sep 7th 2010, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Location: Lincoln United Kingdom but hope to settle in Kamloops B.C
diablorouge is an unknown quantity at this point

As I was the OP on this thread I just thought I would put it to bed by updating you all on the time scales for receipt of the relevant checks.

Applications sent on the 4th August and replies received in:

UK checks - 7 days

Germany - 10 days

Cyprus - 33 days (I knew they would be the weak link and they didn't let me down)

Checks with Military Police Bureau confirmed that these are now a part of the UK police check process, I also spoke to ACPO to double check this infor.

Hope this helps a little?