Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Ex Military - Overseas Police Checks

Ex Military - Overseas Police Checks

Old Aug 5th 2010, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Lorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ex Military - Overseas Police Checks

Originally Posted by diablorouge
As an ex soldier I have had to apply to Germany and Cyprus as well as the UK for Police certificates. Does anyone have any idea how long replies may take to come from these sources please?
We already have all our other documentation ready to go to London, University transcripts etc so its just a matter of waiting for the police stuff.
Any ideas of time scales for reply gratefully received.

Thanks Guys.
Hi

My husband is Ex Army too and we had to get police checks from the German Civil Police and then get them translated into English, also has we had lived in BATUS we had to get our fingerprints done at a UK Police Station and then send them to the RCMP in Canada to prove that we did not have a record in Canada too. Good luck with everything!

Lorrden
Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackque-Ann
JAJ: You would still have to get your police reports from the relevant country regardless of the fact it was a British base I would assume,
It's not just a "British base" - the Sovereign Base Areas are a "country" (British territory) in their own right. Hence the term "sovereign" ...
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:18 am
FSW Cat 1

amrskipro is an unknown quantity at this point

I did not get any police checks for any country that I had served in on a BFPO - only Australia (proper postal address) took about 2 weeks and UK (again off base proper address) which took 3-4 weeks (cannot remember other than it took too long).

Just got the passport back with the shiny stamp so it obviously was not an issue for CIC.

Good luck.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

How does this work for a 6 month tour in the Former Republic of Yugoslavia? That had a BFPO address (553 or 530 i think), all I put on my form was the section that asks places of any active combat was 'Former Republic of Yugoslavia, UN Peace Keeping, Nov 97 - June 98. will this cause a potential issue in regards having to get a police cert for Bosnia.

Last edited by blue monday; Aug 7th 2010 at 4:59 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

I would ask joepublic as he is as up to date as can be on what it takes.

Personally, I would not bother (and can't see it be required anyway) trying to get a certificate from places I was on a tour. I never did when I went through this many moons ago.

In all those places you are covered by the respective SOFA at any rate...Could you imagine asking Mr Karzai's mob for a certificate?

Good luck.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

Originally Posted by airbornesapper

Personally, I would not bother (and can't see it be required anyway) trying to get a certificate from places I was on a tour. I never did when I went through this many moons ago.

In all those places you are covered by the respective SOFA at any rate...Could you imagine asking Mr Karzai's mob for a certificate?

Good luck.
good point, well presented.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck.
You need a police check for anywhere you lived over 6 months - so tours of less than 6 month's duration are not relevant in any case.

(joepublic hasn't quite reached the end of his application lol - they can still ask him for more fingers crossed, Pete ) We're still waiting for our PR cards, so I think we're pretty recent in terms of successful military immigrants lol! amrskipro looks to be the newest (and luckiest in terms of what they asked for )

Like anything else - it all depends on who is dealing with your particular application as to what they decide they might need on the day they open it - we spent 2 1/2 years at BATUS but CIC didn't ask us for any Canadian checks or fingerprints, unlike Lorrden. Others have not been asked for military police checks - we were initially told we did not need them and didn't get them done, but then received a request later with our med requests. It's impossible to predict. amrskipro seems to be the only one who has got away with not producing police checks from Bonn and having them translated though - so I wouldn't recommend trying that one... (particularly as I currently work in a financial institution where I am regularly requested to make up international drafts in Euros payable to the Bundesamt fur Justiz by military personnel...)

but if you aren't in a particular hurry and are content to deal with later requests as they arrive, then there's a chance you can save a bit of money...
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

An operational tour of duty even if it is over 6 months is not the same as "living" in a country.

I guess if I was going though this I would perhaps just get CIC to confirm how they treat a 9 months/year/year + tours in one of the worlds crap holes....then again perhaps not.

Good luck to folks currently jumping through these seemingly fickle CIC hoops.

Last edited by airbornesapper; Aug 8th 2010 at 4:48 am.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

An operational tour of duty even if it is over 6 months is not the same as "living" in a country.

I guess if I was going though this I would perhaps just get CIC to confirm how they treat a 9 months/year/year + tours in one of the worlds crap holes....then again perhaps not.

Good luck to folks currently jumping through these seemingly fickle CIC hoops.
It would depend who you asked ... it would be bound to be a different response from the officer who opened your envelope anyway...
Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:53 pm
FSW Cat 1

amrskipro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blue monday
How does this work for a 6 month tour in the Former Republic of Yugoslavia? That had a BFPO address (553 or 530 i think), all I put on my form was the section that asks places of any active combat was 'Former Republic of Yugoslavia, UN Peace Keeping, Nov 97 - June 98. will this cause a potential issue in regards having to get a police cert for Bosnia.
We just got our visas/ passports back so our application was obviously acceptable to them - as stated above I did not do police checks for anywhere I was on a BFPO (just because I did not think of it) as I did not really equate it with living somewhere (living somewhere is somewhere I choose to live where I do not have to wear body armour, carry a rifle, check in on scheds every 4 hours and where the height of my recreation is another 2 hours on the ergo in a dusty tent).

I cannot begin to imagine what a pain it would be to get a police check from places like Kosovo & Sierra Leone.

I would not ask the question - if you put all those places in your operational/ combat tour question then I doubt they are going to consider that you need a police check.

Last edited by amrskipro; Aug 8th 2010 at 5:55 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by amrskipro
We just got our visas/ passports back so our application was obviously acceptable to them - as stated above I did not do police checks for anywhere I was on a BFPO (just because I did not think of it) as I did not really equate it with living somewhere (living somewhere is somewhere I choose to live where I do not have to wear body armour, carry a rifle, check in on scheds every 4 hours and where the height of my recreation is another 2 hours on the ergo in a dusty tent).

I cannot begin to imagine what a pain it would be to get a police check from places like Kosovo & Sierra Leone.

I would not ask the question - if you put all those places in your operational/ combat tour question then I doubt they are going to consider that you need a police check.
oh, right. sorry, my mistake - I thought you were talking about overseas postings with a BFPO address such as (eg) Germany or BATUS, not op tours. Op tours are treated differently, hence why they (normally but you obviously got away with it) ask for a military police check to cover op tours/ detachments etc.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by debbiem
oh, right. sorry, my mistake - I thought you were talking about overseas postings with a BFPO address such as (eg) Germany or BATUS, not op tours. Op tours are treated differently, hence why they (normally but you obviously got away with it) ask for a military police check to cover op tours/ detachments etc.
when I sent the form to HPA i ticked the box for military so i would have hoped that'd cover it as they say they check it. As a pre-emptive measure how do i get a check from the RMP and the RAF.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Service Police Crime Bureau at Southwick Park, Fareham. They did mine and OH's (RAF and Army respectively) with no bother, and were very lovely when I rang up in a bit of a dither at the 11th hour. If you ask your local military police detachment they'll give you the telephone number
Old Aug 10th 2010, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by debbiem
Service Police Crime Bureau at Southwick Park, Fareham. They did mine and OH's (RAF and Army respectively) with no bother, and were very lovely when I rang up in a bit of a dither at the 11th hour. If you ask your local military police detachment they'll give you the telephone number
Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Ex Military - Overseas Police Checks

I've served (not including tours) in UK, Germany and Canada. I only provided civilian police checks for UK and Germany (no RMP or RCMP). I translated the Germany checks with a printout from Google Translate - I wasn't going to pay to translate 2 words, i.e. 'no entry'. As debbiem says, I'm not at the end of the process yet, however, everything's done including the meds so I presume what I provided was good enough.

Last edited by joepublic; Aug 11th 2010 at 12:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.