Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Ex Military - Overseas Police Checks

Ex Military - Overseas Police Checks

Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Lincoln United Kingdom but hope to settle in Kamloops B.C
diablorouge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ex Military - Overseas Police Checks

As an ex soldier I have had to apply to Germany and Cyprus as well as the UK for Police certificates. Does anyone have any idea how long replies may take to come from these sources please?
We already have all our other documentation ready to go to London, University transcripts etc so its just a matter of waiting for the police stuff.
Any ideas of time scales for reply gratefully received.

Thanks Guys.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex Military - Overseas Police Checks

Germany only takes about a week
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Joe
I was expecting the German check to be completed quickest, their legendary efficiency and all that, its the Cypriot and UK ones that worry me the most.
Anyone have any info on either of these?
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

quietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nice

My UK one didn't take that long, a couple of weeks if I remember correctly. They only last 6months though, so at the moment I'm having to get my UK one done again.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quietgiroth
My UK one didn't take that long, a couple of weeks if I remember correctly. They only last 6months though, so at the moment I'm having to get my UK one done again.
Thanks for that, I have to admit that 2 weeks is a lot less than I had estimated, as the most expensive of the 3 I need I fully expected it to take the longest. Just hoping that the Cypriot authorities are as efficient, though somehow I doubt it, having lived there for a total of 4 years I know that they tend not to hurry things, I'll be happy to be proved wrong though
Old Aug 5th 2010, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

similar here - Germany took a week (although they lost mine, so I had to re-apply...) and UK took about 3. Didn't have to get Cyprus, fortunately, but suspect you might be right about timescales...

Oh, and when we got called forward for medicals, they requested Military Police checks from us as well... they took about two weeks.

Last edited by debbiem; Aug 5th 2010 at 12:50 am. Reason: just remembered...
Old Aug 5th 2010, 3:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you were military in Cyprus, doesn't that mean you were living in the British territory - not Cyprus proper?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Jackque-Ann is just really niceJackque-Ann is just really niceJackque-Ann is just really niceJackque-Ann is just really niceJackque-Ann is just really niceJackque-Ann is just really niceJackque-Ann is just really niceJackque-Ann is just really nice

JAJ: You would still have to get your police reports from the relevant country regardless of the fact it was a British base I would assume, although I was never posted overseas so don't quote me on that...

... As for your certificates diablorouge, I really hope for you that your Cypriot one comes sooner than you hoped fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly for you.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

petesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nice

Hi, German Police checks took about a week( did the bank transfer thing) came back all clear, UK ACPO took about 3 weeks came back with my Fine from the German police from 1998! I also got a free clearance check from the SPCB in Hampshire, give us a PM if you want the phone number, all the best
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you were military in Cyprus, doesn't that mean you were living in the British territory - not Cyprus proper?
Jackque-Ann is correct here, though we lived on the Sovereign Base Area (SBA) we were still subject to civilian law as well as military.

Petes Dragon, thanks for your input and offer for SPCB details but the Service Police checks are covered by the UK check done by ACPO in Hampshire as explained in their guidance notes,

"Applicants who are serving, ex-serving, dependants of serving or ex-serving UK Armed Services personnel or a civilian who has been subject to military discipline will receive their Police Certificates together with disclosure information provided by the Service Police Crime Bureau."

Thanks for all your replies guys, hopefully someone will drop in with experience of getting Cyprus checks? If not I will update myself when we receive them

Last edited by diablorouge; Aug 5th 2010 at 9:55 am.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by diablorouge
Petes Dragon, thanks for your input and offer for SPCB details but the Service Police checks are covered by the UK check done by ACPO in Hampshire as explained in their guidance notes,

"Applicants who are serving, ex-serving, dependants of serving or ex-serving UK Armed Services personnel or a civilian who has been subject to military discipline will receive their Police Certificates together with disclosure information provided by the Service Police Crime Bureau."
That sounds lovely, diablo. CIC still asked the both of us to provide military police checks as additional information at the medical stage after receiving clear ACPO/ all other countries police checks, though. So whatever it says in the notes for ACPO, CIC make up their own rules! SPCB for the two of us only took a couple of weeks though, and they were very helpful on the phone when I rang them.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by debbiem
That sounds lovely, diablo. CIC still asked the both of us to provide military police checks as additional information at the medical stage after receiving clear ACPO/ all other countries police checks, though. So whatever it says in the notes for ACPO, CIC make up their own rules! SPCB for the two of us only took a couple of weeks though, and they were very helpful on the phone when I rang them.
Debbie
Thanks for clarifying the SPCB thing for me. My better half is still serving (until December anyway) so she's going to give them a bell on the Army network, will save our home phone bill anyway
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

qman8166 is on a distinguished road

Hi Diablo, just a bit of info about my application,

My family and I applied for Skilled worker status back in 2006.

I did 23 yrs in REME and for my police checks I simply obtained my UK certs and to cover my military service I obtained a forces police check from the RMP which also included my time serving in BATUS and all other countries in which Id served.

I didnt apply to all the countries Id served in, and sent off my UK police cert and cert from the RMP and that sufficed for my application.
I clearly stated on my application forms where I served and for how long, and we now have our visas and are activating next week.

Food for thought.......

Mike
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diablorouge
Debbie
Thanks for clarifying the SPCB thing for me. My better half is still serving (until December anyway) so she's going to give them a bell on the Army network, will save our home phone bill anyway
belt and braces you might not need it, but they won't ask for it later if they've already got it!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by qman8166
Hi Diablo, just a bit of info about my application,

My family and I applied for Skilled worker status back in 2006.

I did 23 yrs in REME and for my police checks I simply obtained my UK certs and to cover my military service I obtained a forces police check from the RMP which also included my time serving in BATUS and all other countries in which Id served.

I didnt apply to all the countries Id served in, and sent off my UK police cert and cert from the RMP and that sufficed for my application.
I clearly stated on my application forms where I served and for how long, and we now have our visas and are activating next week.

Food for thought.......

Mike
Hi Mike
Thanks for the info mate though we have already sent off for all our relevant checks, such is life eh? But thanks anyway. You say you applied for skilled worker in 2006 and your just about to activate? Damn thats a long wait I hope to hell ours don't take so long or I'll be well over the hill to be starting a new life

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.