Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Ex-Employer Reticent to tell the truth

Ex-Employer Reticent to tell the truth

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:38 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ex-Employer Reticent to tell the truth

That's right: the truth. All i need is him to outline what my role and responsibilities were while working for him, and he is so far refusing to do so, scared of what Catbert in HR could do no doubt.

The company in question is a very large multinational OEM, whose HR policy maintains that they will not provide references recommending employees.

i've told him many times I do not want this- simply for him to outline what I did while there.

Has anyone else been through this? My time there counts significantly toward my work experience points.:curse:
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex-Employer Reticent to tell the truth

I don't know if this will help but I've heard of other people who have had to piece together information regarding their former employment because there were no records / company went under etc.

Things that were used included contracts outlining job descritption, payslips and tax records, and also where necessary proof of postage of letters to the company asking for information.

I don't know if this will be enough if you are using it to try and claim points but it is worth keeping in the back of your mind.

Good luck
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

I went through similar when we were getting all our stuff together. Hubby has always worked for small companies, and I had no probs getting references going back over 15 years.

But I have mostly worked for a large multi-national retailer, and I had a nightmare. Head office said details were kept at regional. Regional office said stores would have kept my details, and I had worked at eight of them over the years. Personnel at some stores had left the company and only 1 of the eight still had any info

After loads of messing about, regional gave me a reference stating the timelines I had worked for them, brief job titles (no descritions etc) salary on leaving and that they would re-employ. I was really worried this wouldn't be enough.

I put that in with the one store reference, a couple of P60s and a letter explaining why I hadnt achieved what they had specified. We have just got our visa's, so I guess they must see it a bit.

Good luck!
Rachel
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I had no proof of duties in the last ten years beyond job title, contracts and a copy of an old performance appraisal; though one older company did list my basic duties on their reference. I guess that was enough.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:27 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

i have no idea how it works where you live - but in the country i come from there is a law which outlines that an employer has to issue at least kind of an "employment record" - which describes your duties and the time you've been working with this company.
and if an employer - no matter what size - doesn't comply with that law there is a legal way to get your document (time consuming of course, but just having it written down as an amendment of this law seems to ensure that employers avoid the hassle and do it right from the beginning...).

if it would be a very small company, whose owner / boss is the hr-guy himself and might be afraid of the work and hassle involved to do it the right way (as my current employer possibly would), i would prepare a simple statement myself, ask them politely to print it on paper with the companies lettre head and let them sign it.

Last edited by lof; Jan 3rd 2008 at 7:30 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:06 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I have been putting togethar details from my previous employers. Ironically the only unhelpful one so far was Telus (Canadian Company!), my employer when I was in Canada on BUNAC. They will only supply pay slip copies and point blankly refuse to supply anything else. I was just going to do a letter saying that they refused to supply any more and send a copy of the email that I sent Telus and the email that I got back. I was also going to send a copy of the job description that is on the advertised job.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:52 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

This may be of some use
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ns/DG_10027905