Evaem's questions re: NS PNP

Old May 23rd 2012, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

evaem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Evaem's questions re: NS PNP

Hey everyone !

I'm a new member here and don't know where I should post my question. I hope it's a right thread.
I hope you guys can guide me in this .. I would like to go through the NS Community Identified Stream, BUT ... There are some things stopping me from doing it.
I've been here for almost 2 years , came to Nova Scotia as a visitor when I was 20 years old - after I graduated high school. I have made so many friends here that are willing to write a letter of support for me - they are my close friends, my neighbours,even their kids
I would like to open up a company here in Halifax, with future chances for hiring others. I'm a face and body artist - the story starts from my neighbours kids who one day asked me to paint their faces with their little paints - then after a couple of months I've seen someone doing it using professional paints .. I've done some research and ordered my first set - since then I fell in love with my paints and face and body painting became my passion.
My friends after seeing my work told me to apply as an artist and stay in Canada - the problem is ... The Self-Employed program doesn't allow me to apply from within Canada and it spends a loooooong time I'm staying here with a family friend who is willing to continue providing my accommodation and meals - so waiting time could have not been a problem. Anyway ....
The only way to go for me is CI Stream, but I don't fit the criteria,because I don't have any post secondary education. I wouldn't need a job offer,because I want to open my company and make it successful enough to not only let myself to be self employed, but hire and train others as well. I have about 12 close friends willing to write letters for me, the person that I live with is willing to let me live with her for free ( she is my mom's close friend and they have known each other forever-we have been travelling together all over the province,I've seen every little town I think ! ) and I probably would get my parents to send me $8,000 as my financial support to open my new company. Plus I've been volunteering with local organization helping other immigrants - they are also saying that there won't be a problem to write a letter. BUT ... there are those 2 things ..... My work experience(I only used to help my father with his company taxes and management , but I was getting cash for it,so I can't proof it) and my education . What do you guys think about my situation ?Should I still try ?
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evaem's questions re: NS PNP

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I've moved your post in to a thread of its own, rather than having it on the end of an old thread where it may not get noticed.

Originally Posted by evaem
My friends after seeing my work told me to apply as an artist and stay in Canada - the problem is ... The Self-Employed program doesn't allow me to apply from within Canada and it spends a loooooong time
If you qualify, you can apply for PR under the Self-employed class from within Canada, although you're right that it's not a quick route.

The only way to go for me is CI Stream, but I don't fit the criteria,because I don't have any post secondary education.
Ok, so forget that route - if you don't have the one year's post-secondary education required, then you're not eligible.

I wouldn't need a job offer,because I want to open my company and make it successful enough to not only let myself to be self employed, but hire and train others as well. I have about 12 close friends willing to write letters for me, the person that I live with is willing to let me live with her for free ( she is my mom's close friend and they have known each other forever-we have been travelling together all over the province,I've seen every little town I think ! ) and I probably would get my parents to send me $8,000 as my financial support to open my new company. Plus I've been volunteering with local organization helping other immigrants - they are also saying that there won't be a problem to write a letter. BUT ... there are those 2 things ..... My work experience(I only used to help my father with his company taxes and management , but I was getting cash for it,so I can't proof it) and my education . What do you guys think about my situation ?Should I still try ?
Still try what? You can't apply under the CIS, as you're not eligible, so I'm unsure what visa route you are talking about?

And one thing that you can clarify, what is your current visa status in Canada? You say you arrived 2 years ago as a visitor, but have been working since, so are you on a work permit or something else?

Best of luck with it.
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your response. I posted my question,because everyone around keeps saying me to try. And I know you guys have better knowledge.
Originally Posted by christmasoompa

And one thing that you can clarify, what is your current visa status in Canada? You say you arrived 2 years ago as a visitor, but have been working since, so are you on a work permit or something else?

Best of luck with it.
I haven't been working anywhere, I have been travelling and visiting different parts of Nova Scotia and a couple times other provinces of Canada. When I came here after 5 months I applied for an extension as a visitor via mail, before I got my extension it spent them I think about 6 months. My visitor extension allows me to be here till the beginning of September this year.
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been working anywhere, I have been travelling and visiting different parts of Nova Scotia and a couple times other provinces of Canada. When I came here after 5 months I applied for an extension as a visitor via mail, before I got my extension it spent them I think about 6 months. My visitor extension allows me to be here till the beginning of September this year.
Ah, ok - I thought you'd been working as a face painter.

I'm not sure what to suggest, as you don't currently seem eligible for any visa route I'm afraid.

You could try and get a job offer and LMO (I know you want to set up your own business, but just as a means to an end, until you get PR), or move to another province to start a business (i.e. NB has a business stream under their PNP, although I should point out that $8k won't be enough).

Whereabouts are you from (I'm guessing not the UK from your use of 'high school' etc) and how old are you, is a Working Holiday Visa an option?
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

If you qualify, you can apply for PR under the Self-employed class from within Canada, although you're right that it's not a quick route.

One of the Self-Employed requirements under regular application process is being lawfully admitted to Canada OR the United States for a period of at least one year. Don't they mean only students or work permit holders ? Would a tourist on an extension still apply ?
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

One of the Self-Employed requirements under regular application process is being lawfully admitted to Canada OR the United States for a period of at least one year. Don't they mean only students or work permit holders ? Would a tourist on an extension still apply ?
I don't understand where you are reading this, can you pls provide a link? Are you sure you're not just looking at the info on which visa office to apply under?

You can apply under the Self-Employed class from any country in the world, there's no requirement to be in or out of Canada when you apply.
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

I don't understand where you are reading this, can you pls provide a link? Are you sure you're not just looking at the info on which visa office to apply under?
I've found this information on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ow-regular.asp
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I've found this information on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ow-regular.asp
It does say that, but you're missing the bit below so keep reading!

You must use the regular application process if:

•you have been selected by Quebec and/or intend to settle there or

•you have been lawfully admitted to Canada OR the United States for a period of at least one year and

•you are submitting your application to the Canadian visa office in Buffalo.

If none of the three situations described above applies to you, you must use simplified application process.

So, if none of the above would apply to you, you'd use the simplified application process, but can still apply. That's if you are definitely eligible though, are you sure you are? It's just that from what you've said above (i.e. coming to NS straight from high school and not working since) I can't see how you are.