Wikiposts

eTA Issues for my Brazilian Wife

Old Nov 30th 2023, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

kaiser1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question eTA Issues for my Brazilian Wife

Hello everyone,

My family are moving to Canada and when the Canadian visa agent applied for eTAs, both my son and I had no issue, but my wife had hers knocked back. My wife is a Brazilian passport holder, who held a previous USA visa, but with her non married name. They have said that this is not valid as the name doesn't match the application.

The quickest way of resolving appears to be applying for a new USA B1/B2 visa, then reapplying for the eTA, but this will take time. Has anyone got any other options they can suggest or have experienced similar? She has ILR in the UK and a BRP residence permit to show this, but my understanding is that it can't be used. I have also heard that getting a Canadian Visitor Visa can take well over a year!!
Old Nov 30th 2023, 11:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: eTA Issues for my Brazilian Wife

When you say you’re ’moving to Canada’, on what visa?

Her US visa has no bearing on the eTA, so I wouldn’t worry about renewing that. Even if she did have a valid US non-immigrant visa she wouldn’t meet the exemption requirements as she’s not entering for a short stay.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 30th 2023 at 11:22 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2023, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

I'm going in on a two year work permit through a relocation with my company.

Having a valid USA visa allows Brazilians to qualify for the eTA scheme, so it does have a bearing. I was however wondering if having UK residence (as oppose to citizenship) was helpful in any way.

Cheers
Old Dec 1st 2023, 12:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaiser1967
I'm going in on a two year work permit through a relocation with my company.
Ok, so the obvious question then - why not get work permits before you leave? That solves the problem.

Having a valid USA visa allows Brazilians to qualify for the eTA scheme, so it does have a bearing.
Yes I know, but as said above as well a having a non-immigrant visa you also need to only be entering for a 'short visit' (max 6 months) to qualify. If she's going for 2 years she won't qualify under that and so will need a visitor visa anyway. Unfortunately her UK residence has no bearing on it, only if she had British citizenship. Is she eligible for British citizenship by any chance? That would make sense to get if she can before she leaves, having ILR and leaving for 2 years risks that as well.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 1st 2023 at 12:55 am.
Old Dec 1st 2023, 1:03 am
Just Joined

I see what you are saying yes. We actually have already made the UK citizenship application, although I think that is taking in the region of 4 months to get at the moment. As we have to enter on eTA and then collect work permit, the hope that our agent had was they could apply for her work permit once her eTA was approved in the same manner as they have mine.
Once she has British citizenship accepted she would come back to UK having to do her swearing in ceremony regardless, then my company may be able apply for a spousal work permit based on my own work permit as support.
Old Dec 1st 2023, 1:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

As we have to enter on eTA and then collect work permit
You don't have to do that, you can apply in the UK. Then you both go with work permits and no issues with the eTA or visitors visa at all (as they'll be issued at the same time as the work permit). It would just make much more sense to me unless I'm missing something?

Edit: Actually, I wonder if we're talking at cross purposes here - is the plan to apply for a work permit from the UK and then go with your POE letter and be issued the work permit upon entry? Or to just travel as visitors and apply for the work permit at POE?

I'd assumed you'd planned the latter, and my suggestion is the former, as then you don't need to apply for an eTA or visitor visa separately or in advance (as it's all done as part of the application to allow you to travel once the work permit is granted).

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 1st 2023 at 1:48 am.
Old Dec 1st 2023, 2:08 am
Just Joined

The way my company has set it up is eTAs and a 'entry package' including POE letter as you say, that we carry with us to get the work permit at POE.

Thanks for the comments, very helpful. Maybe the agency my company has used (Canadian based) isn't using the most optimum approach however given what you say.
Old Dec 1st 2023, 2:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

The way my company has set it up is eTAs and a 'entry package' including POE letter as you say, that we carry with us to get the work permit at POE.
In which case, your wife's visitor visa is applied for as part of that, you don't need to apply for eTA's or visitor visas separately. https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpc...um=206&top=17#

Old Dec 1st 2023, 2:16 am
Just Joined

That's very interesting, thank you. I am going to go back to the agent and ask them on this.
Old Dec 1st 2023, 2:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

That's very interesting, thank you. I am going to go back to the agent and ask them on this.
I really hope the company is paying for this ‘agent’ and not you! 😂
Old Dec 1st 2023, 2:23 am
Just Joined

Yes of course, all by the company. We were meant to be going as a family next week on a house hunting visit before moving in January, but since the wife's eTA was knocked back I'm going solo. Seems last minute when they have had 2 months notice on this, very frustrating!
Old Dec 1st 2023, 2:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes of course, all by the company. We were meant to be going as a family next week on a house hunting visit before moving in January, but since the wife's eTA was knocked back I'm going solo. Seems last minute when they have had 2 months notice on this, very frustrating!
Oh that's really annoying. At least these days your wife can join you virtually for house viewings.

So if you're planning on moving in January presumably they've already applied for your work permits? So it's all underway at least, and she'll get a visitor visa as part of that, even if the agent doesn't know she will.