eTA for British kids

Old Jan 7th 2020, 10:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: eTA for British kids

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
..... except the US doesn’t officially recognize dual let alone tri nationality. May be a benefit or a curse, only time will tell.
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It doesn't recognise it, but it also doesn't stop it or have any rules against it. So she's got 3 nationalities, up to her when she's old enough to renounce any of them if she wishes.
I sort of agree with Christmasoopa - but I would argue that the US does recognize multiple citizenships, but simultaneously recommends against them, noting that they can cause issues, especially when you are visiting the country of your "other" citizenship, when the US will wash their hands of you if you have issues while there.

This is unlikely to be a problem if you are a US-UK dual citizen visiting the UK, but can cause huge issues if you are a US-Iranian citizen and are visiting Iran and get arrested and accused of spying!

Other problems are often reported with young people, say 18-30 who have a second citizenship of a country with mandatory national military service, including, but no confined to Iran Israel, South Africa, and Norway. If you are transported to a military camp to start your national service when you arrive in the country the US will do nothing to help you.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 6:14 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Other problems are often reported with young people, say 18-30 who have a second citizenship of a country with mandatory national military service, including, but no confined to Iran Israel, South Africa, and Norway. If you are transported to a military camp to start your national service when you arrive in the country the US will do nothing to help you.
This is certainly true and the UK takes a similar approach. For example, Britons of Korean origin are warned by the FCO that purely being British will not get you out of Korean military service and the UK is powerless to help you in that regard. This can be a problem for some unwitting folks since adoption of Korean kids by Europeans wasn't entirely uncommon in the 70's and 80's.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 15th 2020 at 6:19 am.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 4:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

So back to the OP's questions please - this is the Immigration and Citizenship part of the Canadian forum, not a general discussion area. Thanks.

Originally Posted by JulieElora
Thanks for your quick response!.
I was born in the UK, but moved as a child to Canada where I became a citizen. I moved back to the UK in my 30's and had children with a UK citizen. So I guess what I need to know is whether they are considered citizens automatically and therefore have to have a Canadian Passport - or, if because I have never applied for their citizenship they can travel with their UK passports?

Now in terms of the flip side as you call it, well we do love Canada and all our relatives and friends there - when the kids were little (and we had more money) we visited all the time - but moving back is a different matter. You never know what will happen in life, so I will probably apply for their citizenship, but I don't want to risk it right now in case it doesn't all happen before the flights. That would be very costly.
Did you check if the children are Citizens already?
https://na1se.voxco.com/SE/56/amican...ng=en&tui=auto

If the children are Citizens then they will need Canadian Passports to travel to Canada, no options there...
https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/docu...al-citizenship